Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

Nowhereman

I never did like Regis but I wish him well. He should take it easy and spend some of his money before he dies.
I hope they get rid of Kelly next she is so annoying and that voice !

Mange

didn't you read in the Globe he's dying anyways so what does
it matter he's outta here.

Karen

The reason the show 'isn't performing as well', is that when Regis isn't there - nobody watches. Kelly Ripa . . . .just unwatchable. Her fake laugh, fawning over guests and her obsession with looks - forget it. Regis is the real deal - and he never fails to make me laugh. Money wasn't the issue - but the lack of respect they showed him with their offer.

Starbuck777

Kelly cannot hold the show together. If they don't get Howie Mandel or Pat Sajak to replace Regis they are history.

BEDT

I have to agree with 98% of the comments. I watched the show...
maybe 4 times for a couple minutes each time and what a waste of time, money, and breath. A greedy, self-centered JEW and some dippy broad (any dippy broad) who can't form a complete sentence. BUT, this is not the only worthless show on TV...
HAS ANYONE NOTICED THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ON TV... stupid reality shows, talk shows, and cooking shows. I'm a female and
have resorted to the NFL channel (some good past SuperBowls showing) and the music channels... oldies, of course) ANYWAY, good riddance REEEEEEEEEEEEG and all your daffy co-hosts - replace it with... LASSIE!!!

Linda

I don't watch the show anymore but I think Regis should be glad he is still ib tv at his age. He doesn't speak well and forgets a lot of things. Does he need all that money? I see him in a different light. Another selfish celebrity. I don't respect hardly any of them.

Holly

Please give me a break you make 15 million a year and thats not enough,YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK 15 MILLION HELL ALL I HAVE TO SAY {GREED}!!! TRY LIVING ON 35 THOUSAND A YEAR ALL YOU SO CALLED T.V.PEOPLE YOU ALL MAKE TO MUCH MONEY NOW AND YOU WANT MORE SHAME ON YOU THATS WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE YOU HAVE 3,4,5 HOMES AND THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT ARE HOMELESS AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU DONT CARE!!!!! YOUR JUST MAD CAUSE YOU CANT GET 30 MILLION.SHAME SHAME!!!

jay4366

well If this is true I have lost off respect for regis also, I hate how everyone on tv is making look sad for regis and taking his sad on the matter, and behind the scene he is the one who left everyone in the cold on the show and is crying about a little pay cut, when thousands in america would just like to have a job at the moment. I would think at this point in regis's career he would just love what he does and It would not be about the money. Stop whinning regis and be glad you have a job and you have been blessed for many years.

alex

If Regis retired, quit, over a pay cut shame on him. How many people right now would like to have even an eighth of the money he makes, just to make ends meet. Those people make way to much. Ok, so he's getting older, we just had some lady turn 100 years old in our town that still goes to work in a grocery store. Regis gets to takes vacations to exotic places and that, so I am sure he gets plenty of down time. We are in a bad spot right now, nationwide, taking a pay cut from an already multi-million dollar salary, Whah!!!. I would LOVE a job I LOVE, and enjoy going to every day.

donna

I'm sick of all the greed shown by these celebrities. They havw several jobs going at once and Regis is way beyond his prime. Retire with all your money and be thankful you got as far as you did with so little talent and most of all...Stop the greed and allow a newcomer to have a shot at a job and some fame.Go find a rocker and count your money Regis and instead of being insulted, be thankful you were on TV for ALL this time

me

This story is not even true. Don't believe everything you read. Don't let a random story define a wonderful man.

Nancy

Regis Deserve's that and more he is the one who made that show last as long as it has and to be treated so badly Maybe they forget that Regis is that show and with out him no one will have a job I will miss him but Iam sure we will see him everywere on a lot of shows.as for trying to replace him good luck, lol.Good luck Regis in what ever you do.And thanks for the laughs all of these years.I will miss you.

Butterfly

KELLY'S KNEES MUST HAVE BEEN BURNING after being on them for so long! She can come up now, Her PRAYERS have been answered!!!

JZ

An 80yo nobody angry at making ONLY 20 MILLION dollars a year and for how long? Are you kidding?If that's true he's got a lot of nerve. As for Kelly Ripa I bet she's as happy as she could be since now it'll be her show. It's The Kelly Ripa Show, or The Kelly and her husband, what's his name Show.

Paul

Regis, I don't know much about all the negotiation talk but 18-20 million a year is a good chunck of $$$ considering my yearly is less than $15,000. a year may be less right now....

But there is no Business like show business right?