Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

marilyn

Poor Kelly! I knew the truth would come out!

Kihon2

I just sit here thinking that I make 100 times less than he does and he is unhappy with a pay cut. Not to mention that he only works a fraction of when I do. Where do I sign up to replace him! I will work for half of what he did.

Paula

Regis- Grow up! You've had a great run. It's time to move over, just like Larry King. In this economy, you should be embarassed to be making that kind of money.

sl

way too much money for that show... it's not that interesting of a show and the hosts are just ok... I was NEVER impressed with it or any of those morning shows... can them all if you ask me...

SUN

Honestly, this is pure ego! no one wants a pay cut, but everyone is scaling back in this economy. Regis (no offense), is lucky to have that job at his age... Most news agencies/stations dont want you past age 55. He certainly is not as lucid as he once was. Greed has detroyed many a good men.

bambam

If this is true then Regis needs to get over himself. People are struggling to make ends meet on half of what he makes in a DAY and he's whining about his salary. I'm about sick of all these overpaid Hollywood crybabies.

janet

That much money for doing nothing really just talking on a talk show how greedy can you get.

Karla

Wow I am stunned I truly thought it was something with his health. How selfish can you be. Yeah that 15-20 million a year is hard to live on for an hours worth of work.

He does not hear well anymore and he misses most of the jokes. I wonder where he thinks he can get that kind of money?????

Ty

M*ron. Look at the state the world is today you spoiled id*ot. If he gets payed 5 mil less so that the company can survive and pay other employees whats his problem. He is already overpayed by a factor 100 for the work he puts it. Get a real job Regis. And besides how much more money does he really need for f*cks sake.

kp

give me a break old man, how much money is somebody worth. just go away, at 80 we deserve a break.

PhillipP

Depends aren't cheap and neither is Denture Grip.

Laurie

I agree with some others here, he needs to just retire! Seriously, why can't these people just retire? How much money do you really need? I want to retire now! I'm not even close to retirement, and will probably have to work to just survive when I do reach that retirement age. I have been hearing that the government is pushing to have the retirement age increased to 70!? Great! I have to work longer!? Damn! Retire old man! You have enough money! Better yet, give me that "paycut" you were going to get! I will even be able to share it with my family & friends! We can all live happily ever after! Thanks!

Ernie

Hey Reeg your employer is telling you your show is becoming a canker sore your show has low rating and you take too much time off. You get paid 18 to 20 mil a year and your pissed off, you should be glad to have a job at your age. People who are your age would give their eye teeth to make 18 to 20 mil a year. Your "Boss'" are telling you "Happy Trails they won't be seeing you again" Your boss's told you this is your final "Offer"

Kari

He's had an incredible career. But he is almost 80 years old--time to retire and have someone else give the show a new, fresh perspective.

barb

As long as he takes Kelly with him, I don't care where he goes.She has to be the most "me,me,me",obnoxious chatterbox on the planet. The show has definetely been slipping for a while, SO GET RID OF BOTH OF THEM.Find some new, intelligent,engaging hosts or can the whole thing.I don't even want to guess what they are paying that talentless woman.I'm sure they could save money by starting from scratch!