Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

moveover

18 to 20 million dollars a year for doing that rinky dink show? You're kidding me! And he was unhappy with the current offer? 5 million? 8 million? At his age! Yeah, like he doesn't already have enough money to last him the last few years he has left! (And, the Kelly Ripa thing.... please!) Unbelieveable! These "celebrities" are really out of touch with reality.

joe

Come on, it's time for Regis to retire.
Regis and Kelly never really clicked.
Don't really care, I don't watch except for dayoffs and those are few.

ralphie the one-eyed

The guy is like 150 years old, he needs some rest. The crew has no right to be upset, and Kelly can go Kelly-herself. Never liked her.

Lori

Uhm...A "pay cut" from 20 million? Gee I'm crying my eyes out...who will pay for his wife's plastic surgery now?

REEG has been irrelevant for several years now...his ego just won't let him process that. He's like those horror movie Zombies that don't know when to lay down.

HATES SO CALLED CELEBS

I'M SO GLAD THAT THE SPOILED ENTITLED DOUCHE BAG WHITE MEN ARE ALL STARTING TO FALL OFF !!!!

ONE DAY WE'LL BE YOUR BOSS TOO !!!!!

ASIANS R-U-L-E!

Alli

The show is not what it once was. As for taking a pay cut. OMG you have to be kidding. Poor Reeg now only making what 15 MILLION. You make me sick. RETIRE, tired of looking at your phony self anyway. LATER....

Dennis Johnson

The show is dead in the water and Regis should move on and enjoy the rest of his life.

debbie quinn

Who are they to cut his pay!! Regis is the one who held that show together. Kelly has no idea what she is doing and looks like a big fool especially when he's not there. She has done nothing but ride on his coat tails for years to get by. Hopefully they will cut her pay too when her contract is up or better yet just not renew it at all.
Good for him, I wish him much success in the future and I hope he enjoys his free time!!!!

Linda

Just because he is in the Guiness book of records for logging in more tv air time than anyone, doesn't mean he deserves 18 mil. I am shocked at this salary. what's rippa pulling in?

get rid of the show and put on a morning reality show!!

Jody

What a jerk. I can only dream about pulling in that kind of money. I would be happy with a quarter of that. He is taking time off because he is older than God, much like Larry King did. At least Larry realized it was time to retire instead of making an ass of himself.

Nancy

Hey, when someone offers you a pay cut, they expect you to leave. Get a clue!

TLC

Going senile with judgement errors. He wants to set up a rival new show??

Physical Graffiti

A total lack of respect for her? Whenever I gave notice at a job, I never went around telling everyone I was going to do it...and whenever any of my coworkers quit, they didn't tell me either! Who does she think she is?!?!

camaguey

He was upset about pay cut? Are you SERIOUS?! What did they cut it down to, his deserved $17,000 a year? Are you serious, this guy makes 20 million a year for a few shows and for hollering on TV? Twenty million a year? He could save the country's economic crisis if he just...goes away.

oakvillekid

It is way past time, b-o-r-i-n-g! show..all that money and he still takes off alot! Start over fresh with all new people.