Jack LaLanne Dead at 96

1/23/2011 11:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fitness legend Jack LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia Sunday afternoon at his home in California. He was 96.

Jack LaLanne Died
LaLanne hosted a popular workout show for several decades, opened a chain of gyms, and created a popular line of juicers.

His agent said he worked out and exercised every day of his life, even up until the end.

0124_remembering_jack_lalanne_footer

Nancy Hovik

RIP Jack LaLanne

Paul

Exercise guru Jack dies at 96, Cigar Affectionato George dies at 100. Only GOD can decide when your time to end the party...

blingmom

He will be missed. I remember my Grandmother stopping what she was doing on the family Ranch to do her exercises along with Jack. I took care of my Grandmother the last 5 days of her life and she still did "his exercises" up to the very last day of her life.....99 1/2 years old. I'm sure my Grandmother is exercising with Jack in Heaven. RIP

Diane

Rest in peace Jack.

Barb

I was shocked when I heard about Jack LaLanne it made me cry. I exercised to his show for many many years and he was so nice and never condescending. He always mentioned his wife and I respected him for this...it's always nice seeing people in love. My deepest sympathy to his wife and family and he will be truly missed. He will never be forgotten!

Mike Baggett

Wow! What a legend. I only hope Jack knew how much he meant to his fans. Well, he left us his books and ideas on fitness. His influence will live forever. R.I.P.

Mike Baggett

matt

what! Jack will be missed by so many, I'm sure. Everybody in heaven must be exercising now.

Nathan

I use to look at Jack LaLanne exercise show when I was a kid in the middle 1960...'s.I remember jumping around in my parents living room trying to exercise like him.Exercise was good to him he live to be 96 and still exerciseing.Well now Jack can show the angels in heaven how to exercise those angel wings.God bless you Jack LaLanne you will always be the king of exercise.

j.kranz

God bless you jack you were the real deal and will surely be missed. Rest in Peace brother.

jh

He was amazing for being such a leader in health, fitness and nutrition before anyone was doing it. He was an icon to be cherished, not like some of these over-hyped athletes today. Condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Patrickm

Jack LaLanne was an inspiration to millions of American's. I remember a quote from him when he was about 90. He said that he could not afford to die, it would ruin his image. He was a great American!

ron

HE WAS THE MAN !!!!

Y do he got

He is the GADfather 4sure..I was studying his life and found that he never used roids and it seems he was mostly all natural in diet and didn`t seem to of had many surgeys.I could only find that he had both knee`s replaced in 2007 and a heart valve worked on in 2009 both surgeys in his 90`s.He said he busted his knee`s up playing football and in a car crash but he lived with those knees until 2007 and still worked out everyday.You can see he got a little winded in his 90`s unti the heart valve was worked on,so it must have been a problem,,but there after I can`t find any film work of his workouts so maybe he could have lived longer without those surgerys?.But for sure he was much more active than most anyone alive all those years and he outlived his generation save his wife.The REAL deal and his stunt work is lore and crazy fitness level so those power workouts did the trick all those years.

Yidmash

HOW could he do those all those STUNTS? all those years? and his pushups and chinups numbers are UNREAL...there maybe some older goats but there was NONE MORE ACTIVE or ground breaking so he would have been a better actor to play GAD than george burns? on film.ALL this AFTER being a thug child...I`d post all of his recored data in a 3D program and still not be able to find how he did so many pushups and chinups and that swimming is UNHUMAN off the charts so at 5ft6 150 pounds was he the strongest human per pound to everlive? seems so!

Yidmash

SO is there a link to being strong to living long?.At least to be a ABLE BODY person is much more of a life than to be inactive.BUT I WOULD HAVE TO THINK he was the strongest person to ever live, even without the swim stunts..but if you include those it seems impossible and when looked at for 90 plus years it make one seem like we are not in the same life form UNREAL