Detroit Mayor: I Won't Erect RoboCop

2/8/2011 3:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

He's the greatest icon ever to hail from Detroit -- but RoboCop will never occupy an immortal place in Motor City ... so long as Motown's party-pooper Mayor Dave Bing has anything to say about it.

0208_mayor_bing_tweet_twitter

Meanwhile, Philly gets a "Rocky" statue. No fair.

lolface

ted nugent isn't from detroit, he's from arlington heights Il.

Carie

Robocop > then Henry Ford

TxDan

D'oh! Robocop was filmed in Dallas.

Native

Stop for a second.

Detroit is a city in the United States. You are anonymous when you post on the Internet. Don't let that make you crazy. We are all supposed to be on the same team in the US, right? You are better than the comments you are making here.

There is A LOT more to this story. Google Dave Bing Detroit if you want to get the news stories about how he is trying to improve Detroit. This Robocop thing is funny, but it came as a suggestion from someone related to the effort to improve Detroit.

However, if you just want to learn more about Detroit, which you should, here are some videos Johnny Knoxville put together:

WooferBear

Yeah ... why would they want to add something that may bring tourists?

Someone

Let's clear a few of these previous posts up, shall we?

ICP (Joseph Bruce/aka Violent J and Joseph Utsler/aka Shaggy 2 Dope) is from South Lyon, Michigan, not Detroit (they both currently live there when 2 Dope isn't being housed in the Oakland County Jail for petty crimes). Just like Eminem is from Warren (Detroit suburb), not Detroit and currently lives in Rochester Hills, Michigan. Kid Rock (Robert Richie) is from Romeo/Mt. Clemens, not Detroit either and currently lives in Clarkston, Michigan.

Anyone else have any other false info I can clear-up?

CrashAndBurn

@MightyMad

So basically, what you're saying is everybody you've mention are nothing but studios like most rappers.

Wayniac917

What about a " Welcome to Detroit, I'd buy that for a Dollar" sign?

Duuh

Uh yea, Ted Nugent was born in Detroit. Moved to IL when he was a teenager. Talk about getting facts straight.

Duuh

@Someone

So those are suburbs, kinda like people from say, Encino CA say they are from LA right? Or say, Schaumburg IL say they are from Chicago. So why does it matter? Thanks for correcting everyone tho. You're so smart. :)

Della

Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson...

delightfullydelusional

I'd move back to Detroit if they erected a Robocop statue.

Amy

Hey hey y'all, forget Rocky... we've got TWO sculptures for the REAL man, JOE LOUIS!!! Surprised no one mentioned that!!

I moved to Detroit nine years ago after moving all over the state...why? This city has SOUL!! There is so much to do and see here, and like that Chrysler ad mentioned, you probably wouldn't know it because all outsiders hear is garbage spewed by people who have never even been here. We've heard it all and it's become quite boring. Detroit came first in a lot of innovations and the country followed...so do your research!!!

As for other Michigan cities worth mentioning.... Traverse City has the best cherries!!! MMM!! And there's Ann Arbor, but I'm a Michigan State fan, sooo....but you can't deny no one has heard of Ann Arbor!

Every major city has it's issues. No once is crying to burn LA down because of the south side, or screw over St. Louis because of the east side, Chicago has some serious gang problems, and I'm sure there are plenty of places in NYC you wouldn't dare walk around by yourself...

Instead of being so negative, instead of coming here so you can "say what you say to the natives' faces," why don't you come out here so we can show you what this town is really all about? I've worked in the service industry for seven years downtown, and I love nothing more but to send visitors off to see what our city has to offer, and to have a good time!! I'm glad to show you around, trust me I have changed many negative opinions... :-)

....and I just posted a response to Detroit internet-bashing on TMZ. LOL!!

I like that ICP public urination comment. Those dudes used to hang out in their van outside my high school 15 years ago, hahaha!!!

Amy

@Duuh

The line between the city and the suburbs is a hot topic. To better understand what happened, the BBC ran a pretty good piece by Julien Temple, "Requiem for Detroit?"...I suggest you look it up :) And then watch that Knoxville piece @Native mentioned, that's nice too. Cheers!

lboucher

robots kill bad people. why not a detroit statue?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments