Lindsay Lohan: Bad Jewelry = Good Defense to Felony

2/12/2011 10:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Lindsay Lohan's bad taste in jewelry could be the key to her defense, because according to TMZ's research, the necklace in question may not have enough value to constitute felony grand theft.

0211_lindsay_necklace_x17online

In order to charge a defendant with a felony, the item in question must have a fair market value of more than $950.

Kamofie & Company was selling the necklace for $2,500.  But we checked with three prominent jewelers in L.A., and they claim the price tag is grossly inflated.

The jewelers asked us not to identify their stores by name, but here's their assessment of the item.  We gave them information from the necklace designer, who told TMZ it was comprised of 8.84 carats of natural, untreated yellow diamonds.

-- A Santa Monica jeweler told us the necklace is "a dime a dozen," and he wouldn't think of selling it for more than $1,000.

-- A downtown L.A. jeweler says if the item is retailing for $2,500, it means "the stone is cheap," adding, "It's most likely an industrial-type diamond, not gem quality."  He says the necklace is worth no more than $900.

-- A San Fernando Valley jeweler says, "I don't believe this necklace has 8 carats of diamonds.  It's so thin."  She says the chain would sell in the jewelry district of downtown L.A. for $800 tops -- and probably less.

Under California law, if the necklace is worth $950 or less, Lindsay could only be charged with petty theft, a misdemeanor.  The maximum penalty is 6 months in L.A. County Jail -- and with jail overcrowding she's looking at a short stint.

If Lindsay's lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley can convince the judge that the necklace is cheap, Lindsay could dodge the biggest bullet yet.

Soetoro

She's so old looking, she could replace Kim Richards on "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills".

Pimpcessa

@themare, I went to that link and I still can't see any diamonds on that necklace. Not that it matters, and I hope the pics we've seen are not a good representation of what the necklace looks like, as it looks like a cheap chain and nothing more. But it doesn't matter what we think anyway, the price was $2500. and I'm sure the judge will hold onto that. Now, if it was $500. before it went missing, that's a different story...

My question is....where's Dina this whole time? She didn't go to court and we haven't seen nor heard her shouting her "baby's" innocence from the rooftops.

Chaps

I too saw that story on x17 online dot com, the series shows her full tilt wearing it, then she covers it up.

OOOPS

Too late!

Grandma Cracker

Yeah, I'll bet the unidentified jewelers are the jewelers that display their wares by opening up a trench coat on a street corner. A pretty necklace produced by Tiffany and Co. will have one price, while the same pretty knock off necklace sold by Walmart will have a different price.

Good try TMZ, but it's not going to float.

Soetoro

TMZ is a paid Lohan shill. Its great that Lindsay and her tribe of morons call TMZ every 2 hours with a new "BREAKING NEWS" update on their little thief. They just cant stand Jamie Fox fighting in a club or Gary Shirley stealing their gossip thunder. Just think about how far Lilo has fallen, she's duking it out with Gary Shirley and his teen mom pig wife. Pathetic.

mija

Those jewelers were being generous. It can't even be worth that.

haha

Oh barf, TMZ.Wait. Let me go steal some $1500 Louboutin shoes and see how well that defense works out for me.

stargazer

This is BS. You can't really assess the value of a necklace without seeing it and without taking into consideration the artist who made it, it doesn't matter what specifics someone from TMZ gave them. It also doesn't matter what they say they would sell it for. It was $2,500 at the store it was taken from, which IS a fair market value and that means it does constitute felony grand theft. I thought there were a couple lawyers working at TMZ? They would know this.

stargazer

This is BS. You can't really asses the value of a necklace without seeing it and without taking into consideration the artist who made it, it doesn't matter what specifics someone from TMZ gave them. It also doesn't matter what they say they would sell it for. It was $2,500 at the store it was taken from, which IS a fair market value and that means it does constitute felony grand theft. I thought there were a couple lawyers working at TMZ? They would know this.

themare

Since diamonds are not even slightly rare (it's a marketing ploy by DeBeers) should we be able to get them for free? Ever try to sell a diamond ring? Did you get what you paid for it?

Grandma Cracker

Hey no harm, no foul, Harvey is just thinking like a lawyer. It's their job to try to find ways to save their clients from having to face the music for what they have done. If Shawn paraded in jewelers that said the necklace was crap, Danette would just get more jewelers to say it was well worth the money. Then the judge would just say, "well, gee, I don't know, let's go with with the price tag."

Am I the only one here that noticed that Judge Sullivan seemed rather unimpressed with LL and her "crotch shot white mini dress"? He really wasn't very nice to her. He laid it on the line that he was so not into her antics.

normal person

How much do they mark of the jewelry. Considering the street address I would say more then 100%.

me

Wow, now the jewlery store is looking bad, for selling over priced items.
That is a shame. Considering that you own a business, someone comes in and steals something, and you the owner are accused of
selling over priced items to begin with. This is making the integrity of the owners look really bad, and I am sure they are going to lose some business because of it.

I know I would not want to go to a store that everyone is saying doubles or triples their prices especially since I don't know anything about gold or diamonds.

normal person

How much do they mark up the jewelry from actual costs. Considering the street address I would say more then 100%.

themare

#71 Dann

Mike IS popping up already blaming Lindsay's "new management team" for all her trouble. This is the same "new management" (Britney Spears' team) that the Lohan's were crowing about in December. Back in December they were the biggest, best and were going to put her on top again. Sheesh