Billy Ray -- Hannah Montana 'Destroyed' My Family

2/15/2011 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus believes "Hannah Montana" ruined his relationship with his daughter Miley Cyrus -- claiming, "The damn show destroyed my family."

0215_billy_ray_hanna_BN_TMZ_01

Billy Ray spilled his guts to GQ Magazine -- claiming Miley's handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations ... including the Vanity Fair cover scandal and her controversial pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards.

Billy says he hasn't spoken to Miley since the bong video surfaced and states, "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger."

Billy also claims "there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan.

When asked about "Hannah Montana" -- Billy said, "I'll tell you right now -- the damn show destroyed my family."

Billy says he wishes "Hannah" had never happened -- saying, "I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal."

Billy also compares Miley to Anna Nicole Smith -- saying, "You could see that train wreck coming."

And there's a Michael Jackson connection -- during the interview, Billy revealed he tried to reach out to Michael Jackson before his death and invite him to a taping of the show ... explaining, "I just felt it would be good for Michael."

Billy never revealed if MJ ever took him up on his offer.

Miley Cyrus Scandals

The Topless 'Vanity Fair' Shoot

People were outraged when Miley posed topless (but covered) in 2008 for Annie Leibovitz's infamous Vanity Fair shoot. Miley issued an apology, saying, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

The Inappropriate Photo

It's the photo that spawned a $4 billion lawsuit — the one of Miley and pals mocking Asian people by slanting their eyes. The photo came out in February, 2009 and prompted this apology: "I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be." By the way ... a judge threw out the massive lawsuit against Miley.

Miley Hits the Pole

In August of 2009, 16-year-old Miley pole danced during her performance at the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS ... and pissed off parents around the country in the process. Billy Ray defended her again, saying, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people. I always tell her to love what you're doing and stay focused for the love of the art and not worry so much about opinion."

Miley Partying with a Bong

Miley's latest scandal — she celebrated her 18th birthday last year by taking a huge bong rip ... on video. As we first reported, sources close to Miley say she wasn't smoking weed — rather a substance called salvia that's legal in California. Miley broke her silence about the video two months after we posted it, saying, "I'm not perfect ... I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans."

Miley -- It's Corona Time

In November of last year, Miley was photographed with a Corona during a trip to Spain. But thanks to lax drinking laws there — people as young as 16 are allowed to consume — Miley wasn't on the hook for underage drinking.

Dana

I see Michael Lohan through this whole article.

terry j vey

What a joke this guy is!He enjoyed all the money comeing in and had no problem takeing more by being in HER show.Now everything is not under his control no more.He sees what he created and wants to blame others.
Insted of being humble and aking for forgiveness,he choose the way many others do with the blame game.

Bleh!

You go Billy Ray! Go back to your hometown roots! We met several times before the Hannah Montana thing and you once told me, "Keep your eyes open!" I see you have opened your eyes. Keep your boots on, your hair like you want it and head on home where the real people are. May God bless and restore your family! Even though it's easy to get caught up in fame, money and LA, it's never too late to go home. I'm pulling for you all.

Jaime

You certainly didn't complain about the show ruining your family while you collected the millions from it. Next time, chose your daughter over a celeb status. I'd NEVER put my child in the spotlight like that, its selfish and asking trouble.

joyceken

You need to read the entire interview instead of just snippets to get more of the story before passing judgement. Billy Ray knows he's made mistakes as a parent (haven't all of us who are parents) and regrets those mistakes deeply.

He now realizes, he said, that instead of trying to be Miley's friend, he should have been her parent more often and warned her to slow down. "Honestly, I didn't know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere," he said. He reiterated to parents to be parents and not their children's friends. He's made mistakes but we all know as parents that kids don't come with a manual. We do our best and we all mess up at some point.

He says he took the blame for Miley’s scandals, such as the infamous bong incident and the racy Vanity Fair photo shoot, “because I’m her daddy, and that’s what daddies do,” but he confesses he’s now “scared” for his daughter. As for Miley's now infamous 18th birthday bash, Cyrus said he didn't want to go because he was tired of taking the blame in the press every time his daughter did something outrageous. "You know why I didn't go? Because they were having it in a bar," he said. "It was wrong. It was for 21 years old and up. Once again all them people, they all wanted me to fly out so that then when all the bad press came they could say, 'Daddy endorsed this stuff. ...' I started realizing I'm being used. If I would have went out there, I would have been right in the middle of all this stuff that's going on right now with the bong. They'd be hanging it on my ass. I had the common sense ... I said, 'This whole thing's falling apart up there and they just want to blame all of this stuff on you again.' I'm staying out of it."

Was that the right decision or the wrong one? It's a tough one to judge. I don't believe that I would attend my daughter's birthday party if it was being held in a bar because I wouldn't want her to think that I approved it, which Billy Ray obviously didn't. Would Miley had acted differently if her Dad was there? Maybe, maybe not. Parenting is never easy and it's 1000 times more difficult when your child is in the limelight and every move is photographed, reported, and so on.

As far as his statement about being under attack by Satan, that question was asked directly to him. The Cyruses have always been known for their deep Christian faith, and his answer is both sad and heartbreaking.

"Somewhere along this journey, both mine and Miley's faith has been shaken," he says. "That's what saddens me the most. "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger. I want to get her sheltered from the storm."

When asked if he thinks his family is under attack by Satan, Billy Ray says, "no doubt. There's no doubt about it."

He goes on to correlate Satan and his daughter's Disney Channel show. "I'll tell you right now -- that damn show ['Hannah Montana'] destroyed my family. I hate to say it, but yes, I [wish the show never happened]. For my family to be here and just everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic. I'd erase it all in a second if I could."

In regards to money, Billy Ray does use the article as an opportunity to clear up on big misconception: "I've never made a dime off Miley. You got a lot of people have made percentages off of her. I'm proud to say to this day I've never made one commissioned dollar, or dime, off of my daughter."

My heart goes out to all of the Cyrus family and I pray that Miley will recall her wholesome roots, her teachings of right and wrong, and that her teenage rebellion will be short-lived. I also pray that she will surround herself with people who have her best interests in mind and not what is best for their own pockets.

bb

No, Billy, inbreeding destroyed your family.

9 to 5 American

So when “THE MOUSE” came knocking at their door what did he think was going to happen?

“THE MOUSE” is the devil and destroyer of all that is good with the world.

DANA

WHITE TRASH

Sandra

Pathetic comment from a publicity hound!! Shut up Billy!!!

Deesker

I normally don't comment but had to on this one. First of all, he's blaming Satan for all of this? I'm a Christian and I find it incredibly hilarious how so many Christians blame Satan for their own mishaps or poor judgments. Never once does he take responsibility for his own actions as a parent but blames Satan and everyone else for his daughter's poor upbringing. What a hick.

eyecandy

for the love of $$$=satan

Carl

Right... he loved all the money and attention that not only Miley, but he got from the show. He is her father, he had the authority to overrule and I'm sure fire her handlers if he thought they were a bad influence.

Also, he's not like a typical deer in the headlights parent that didn't know what they were getting into. He had a huge hit back in the 90s, so he's very familiar with show business and the behind the scenes stuff.

Chaps

Billy Ray Lohan?

Is that you?

jmak10

Billy Ray shut your mouth. It's outrageous that he's saying this stuff now about how the show ruined his little girls life, why didn't he say this when she was actually doing the show and not after. He made his money and the show was cancelled and now he's out of money. Billy Ray BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS.
Miley is 18 now and doesn't have to answer to you and won't support you and the rest of your White Trash Family.
Don't you have another little daughter to pimp out now?

CG

Why does everybody keep calling them white trailer trash? Is it because he's from Kentucky?