Billy Ray -- Hannah Montana 'Destroyed' My Family

2/15/2011 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus believes "Hannah Montana" ruined his relationship with his daughter Miley Cyrus -- claiming, "The damn show destroyed my family."

0215_billy_ray_hanna_BN_TMZ_01

Billy Ray spilled his guts to GQ Magazine -- claiming Miley's handlers meddled in his relationship with his daughter and prevented him from properly parenting her through difficult situations ... including the Vanity Fair cover scandal and her controversial pole dancing performance at the 2009 Teen Choice Awards.

Billy says he hasn't spoken to Miley since the bong video surfaced and states, "I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger."

Billy also claims "there's no doubt" his family is under attack by Satan.

When asked about "Hannah Montana" -- Billy said, "I'll tell you right now -- the damn show destroyed my family."

Billy says he wishes "Hannah" had never happened -- saying, "I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal."

Billy also compares Miley to Anna Nicole Smith -- saying, "You could see that train wreck coming."

And there's a Michael Jackson connection -- during the interview, Billy revealed he tried to reach out to Michael Jackson before his death and invite him to a taping of the show ... explaining, "I just felt it would be good for Michael."

Billy never revealed if MJ ever took him up on his offer.

Miley Cyrus Scandals

The Topless 'Vanity Fair' Shoot

People were outraged when Miley posed topless (but covered) in 2008 for Annie Leibovitz's infamous Vanity Fair shoot. Miley issued an apology, saying, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed."

The Inappropriate Photo

It's the photo that spawned a $4 billion lawsuit — the one of Miley and pals mocking Asian people by slanting their eyes. The photo came out in February, 2009 and prompted this apology: "I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be." By the way ... a judge threw out the massive lawsuit against Miley.

Miley Hits the Pole

In August of 2009, 16-year-old Miley pole danced during her performance at the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS ... and pissed off parents around the country in the process. Billy Ray defended her again, saying, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people. I always tell her to love what you're doing and stay focused for the love of the art and not worry so much about opinion."

Miley Partying with a Bong

Miley's latest scandal — she celebrated her 18th birthday last year by taking a huge bong rip ... on video. As we first reported, sources close to Miley say she wasn't smoking weed — rather a substance called salvia that's legal in California. Miley broke her silence about the video two months after we posted it, saying, "I'm not perfect ... I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans."

Miley -- It's Corona Time

In November of last year, Miley was photographed with a Corona during a trip to Spain. But thanks to lax drinking laws there — people as young as 16 are allowed to consume — Miley wasn't on the hook for underage drinking.

Italia

TO: No. 89, puddintang, who wrote:
"It kills me when people say he used her as a meal ticket, spent her money etc. The man was rich and famous before Miley was even born..."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Billy Ray Cyrus was a one hit wonder.

Billy doesn't have HALF the money Miley has.

Fred Farkel

You all screaming bad parenting have no clue.

Just wait until your daughters are all 20-something and have completely lost their minds.

Yeah. Right.

Like there is ANYTHING a parent can do at that point.

In the year 2011... there is NOTHING a parent can do that is right - and it is very gratifying and LIBERATING to just walk away and FORGET IT.

Personally???

If I knew then what I know now... there would be NO WIFE, NO KIDS - JUST ME, MY BUSINESS, MY MONEY AND MY LIFE.

Oh yeah - best of all??

LOL

NO ONE TELLING ME THAT I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER DAD.

Thank you.

yomama

I'd like to know if any one of you would have had the foresight to pull your kid out of the show, or decide not to do it at all. Anyone who says they wouldn't have let their kid make millions is lying out their arses.

At least he's looking back and saying that he made a bad decision letting her do it. He IS taking responsibility for his bad parenting. He got in a situation where he had very little control. Look at Jon Gosselin (yea, i know he's a dooooooche) ... he can't get those kids off the t.v., even going through the courts... even though the kids are showing signs of issues, etc.

Billy Ray is a dork, but I think he got caught up in all this himself and it became too big for him to handle.

DANA

He also failed parenting his son. Which normal parent will allow his barely 20 years old son to tat his whole body,neck and face?

mama9

umm so it was the handlers that let an older underwear model move into your house with your barely teen daughter. This one is a lost cause but with any luck you might still have a chance with the other one. Then again I seen what she is allowed to wear (because she designed it, I know).

Sarafina

Quit bitching and moaning Billy...you're the adult, but you're acting like a child by putting the blame on somebody else! And you think he's holier-than-thou with all that Satan talk. Children do what parents do, not what they say to do...you and Tish must have raised her to be trash because that's what she is!!

JLo on Steroids

He is obviously a kind man, and I am glad he reached out to Michael. However He is also naive, Of course fame would do this to his daughter. There is a pattern with most child stars, its too bad he didnt see that before putting her in showbiz

bophus

so let me get this straight.

A washed up country singer whored out his daughter to get back into the spotlight and he blames the show for causing problems.

id suggest billy invest on some mirrors.

Delmar

@puddintang I agree that he didn't use her as a meal ticket. I disagree that he made her famous. Many sons/daughters of established entertainers don't make it. In fact, his son Trace has a moderately successful band, but isn't really a "celebrity". Miley's sister Brandy has a band, so does her younger brother (16 year old Braison) and so far Noah isn't a celebrity either and this may or may not happen. Miley Cyrus is an exceptional talent and has exceptional star power. She got into a cir***stance that created her success that no one could have predicted. She's just a person that has unusually high star power and sooner or later, she would have been discovered IMO.

Italia

His daughter is grown and gone, and his wife left him.

Something tells me there may be a reason why everybody took off and left him.

mannequin

When the entire focus of a marriage is the child, the marriage is sure to fail. The little ingrate of a daughter couldn't care less now; she's risen too far above mom and dad to even consider them. I feel sorry for him; I'm sure he did what he thought was right for her career, and trusted many people he shouldn't have.
The little child born of well intention has turned into a trash bag.

Celebrities Suck

fame whores will always get their lives destroyed! Money can buy you material stuff but it can not buy happiness...

Trish

Billy Ray, For once in your life, do something for your appearance. GET A HAIRCUT! Dude, you're too d**m old to be sporting that long stringy hair. Now, DO IT!

emilie

Nobody in Hollywood ever owns up to their own sleazy lives. It is always somebody else's fault. Then give all the money you both made to the poor and start clean and live like the normal folks for a change. We will be hearing all this crybabay stuff again when a "secret sex tape" will come out and they will say they don't want it released. Yeah, I feel so bad for you all. Not.

jjgirl

This just makes him look stupid...he "pimped" her out to Disney to fill his own pockets! Now he is upset that she is out of control....Her parents are the ones responisble for the Teen awards and the Vanity Fair cover...NOT her handlers..this is what comes from bowing to $$$ Billy!!!! Miley is who she is (which is not much) she will make bad or good choices if she lets the "creepers" sway her she is stupider than we give her credit for!!!!