'5 Browns' Dad Pleads Guilty to Abusing Daughters

2/17/2011 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The father of classical piano group "The 5 Browns" just pled guilty to sexually abusing his three daughters back when they were children -- and now faces up to life in prison.

5 Browns

His daughters -- now aged 26, 30, 32 -- decided to call the police on their father after learning he planned to manage other child musicians.

55-year-old Keith Scott Brown was charged with one count of first-degree felony sodomy upon a child, and two counts of second-degree felony sexual abuse of a child.

According to court documents, the abuse lasted sporadically from 1990-1998.

Sentencing is scheduled for March -- and he faces anywhere between ten years to life in prison.

Mel

Now???? Now they speak up, I'm sure others were abused and now since NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF THEM they speak up and are on TMZ?? WTF!!!! They are as bad as dear old dad.

Gregory

I know this may seem like a really crazy idea....but what if he's innocent?

Jade

Cartman, you are an idiot. Do you think these young adults contacted the media for the attention? I am sure they love having the attention of their friends and family knowing their personal abuse story. As for you Tammy, would you want a statue of limitations if it was your child? Would you tell her "sorry honey it was 12 years ago so just get over it"? I am sure they did not want to address the issue but as stated they were concerned for other girls when they learned that he was going to try to manage the musical careers of minor children. I applaud these children for stepping up to protect other children. They put aside their humilation and thought of others above themselves.

JRS

WTF? I saw them on GMA a few years back. Mormons?

jwoolman

I don't know the details, but it's quite understandable that they waited until he was going to have a chance for attacking another child. They may have thought he was not a general risk, just for kids close to him (doubt that they left any of their own kids with him, for instance, if they have any). This might have also had to do with not wanting to complicate their mother's life - she might well have not known about the abuse.

A friend didn't find out until he was an adult that his father was routinely sexually abusing two of his sisters. His mother didn't know. Each sister thought she was the only one abused, and the father actually told them each individually that if they refused, he would start in on the other sister. So each one thought she was protecting her sister.

So it's not always a mother "looking the other way". Quite often it's done without anyone else in the house having a clue. In this case, it's even possible that the sisters did not know this guy was doing it to all of them - maybe one sister told the others only after she heard he was going to manage another child musician, and then they all put their stories together.

Rico Suavy

Why is everyone so uptight! Sex education should begin at home. They were home schooled & this is the thanks the father gets. People are too uptight about sex in this country. Think about it, I thought you were all liberal about education etc.
Just Thinking
Rico

MyOpinionOnly

Awesome, he'll get sent to a jail with other sick people like him, and nothing will happen, he'll live the rest of his days in a cell, but comfortably knowing he'll never really pay for the trauma/horror he caused by raping his own children.

legal system is disgusting, this guy should be stoned to death, yes, that includes every sexual predator.
_________________________________________________________________

You must not know much about prisons and pedophiles. Most of them don't make it through once they are found out. Even criminals have codes of honor and that is NEVER ABUSE A CHILD. I would guess that he will be made to pay nightly with a different Bubba each time. Works for me!

MyOpinionOnly

Period...end of story...and where was MOM when all of this was going on? THREE daughters and she didn't have clue? I call Bull ****.
______________________________________________________________________

You can call it all you want, but it does happen. I myself was abused by my stepdad and my mother never had a clue. Don't blame the mother, blame the monster of a father who used his children as personal sex toys. I get royally pissed when judgemental people ASSUME that everyone in the family knows when sexual abuse happens. The one ones who KNOW are those actually doing the abusing. Get some education next time before you spew stuff you don't know or understand.

AndY

The only reason this story has come to light is on Monday he was in a horrific car crash in the canyon.

rach

Don`t they care that ppl will think they r a buch of freaks,sorry some things should be kept in the cupboard

Confused

How is it that he has been charged, and now facing sentencing in March? Isn't there supposed to be a trial in between somewhere?... or did he just plead guilty?

John

"I am in NO WAY saying what he did is okay, but hasn't the statue of limitaion run out of this? I mean, I think you have a certain amount of time after turning 18 to report a crime committed against you as a child and I think it would have run out by now.
Posted at 12:13 PM on Feb 17, 2011 by Tammy"

Tammy,

Here is the law on sex crimes on a child in the state of Utah, where the crimes took place:

76-1-303.5 Sexual offense against a child. If the period prescribed in Subsection 76-1-302(1) has expired, a prosecution may nevertheless be commenced for rape of a child, object rape of a child, sodomy upon a child, sexual abuse of a child, or aggravated sexual abuse of a child within four years after the report of the offense to a law enforcement agency

stumpy

I've never been in prison, but I hear that they don't take kindly to his type in there. Even the murderers and rapists have some standards, apparently, but 10 years to life? Just throw away the key...THAT kind of leopard almost never changes his spots. Disgusting.

Posted at 12:23 PM on Feb 17, 2011 by Physical Graffiti

-----------------------------------------------
What truly sucks is he'll get ten do 5
and be kept in protective custody the whole time
get out at 60 and do it again

Survivor

Brave ladies! My sisters and I were all abused for over 13 years by our stepfather. We kept our mouthes shut. In the 60's,"Family Business" stayed at home and children were taught to be seen and not heard. The Mormon Church teaches much the same, with salvation coming through prayer. Although I commend him for pleading guilty, I hope he meets his judgement every night until he dies. The guys in prison love breaking in his type!

gigi

So these were the kids who quit school to concentrate on piano full time? I remember seeing something about that on 60 minutes. They all went to Julliard, and they didn't really have a social life outside of family. It's no wonder that is and Creepy too. Home school. Family business. Hanging around family way too much.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments