Britney's Songwriter Sues Over 'Hold It Against Me'

3/2/2011 8:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Britney Spears' songwriter just launched a legal counter-attack over her number 1 hit "Hold It Against Me" -- suing The Bellamy Brothers for publicly claiming the song is a rip-off.
0111_bellamy_brit_EX
0302-ex-banner_V3
Britney Spears Hold It Against Me Song0111_BELLAMY_LAUNCH_4

In a federal lawsuit filed today, Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald says The Bellamy Brothers launched a "smear campaign" by claiming Brit's hit -- co-penned by Gottwald -- was just a knockoff of their 1979 song ... "If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me?"

Gottwald also claims the Brothers' attack was "a publicity stunt aimed to increase their record sales ... and to combat their dwindling relevance." Ouch.

In addition to damages for defamation ... Gottwald wants a court order stating once and for all Britney's song has nothing to do with the BB's song.

The Bellamy Bros. rep didn't immediately return a call for comment.

1202_britney_bitch_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

eric

theres no doubt that KARMA IS A EFFING B*TCH! brit's fan were doing all this drama cuz of the gaga-madona thing and look who's the real COPYCAT!

misfit

Um, this was originally a quote from Groucho Marx a long, long, long time ago, the Bellamy Brothers have no business saying it's their line. Greedy fools.

chrissy

I agree it is a publicity stunt, there song sucks and Britneys song only has the lyrics "hold it against me". I guess brooke hogan is a thief for having a song titled freakshow with freakshow lyrics in it .. They already announced they are not taking legal action and the reason is because they know they do not have a case

Josephina

I feel bad for them since they felt she stole the song, yet had no intentions of suing or taking any action against Brit. I'm a huge Britney fan, but honestly, this seems greedy and unnecessary on her part.

will

i agree with num 5

Mark Proctor

similar... settle.

Mark Proctor

Bellamlmy's should get paid for having frivolous lawsuit filed against them that is... and they should sue if anyone.

rika

To #5 Josephina

What they "felt" was a chance at cheap publicity.They didn't take legal action because they knew they'd loose.

No sympathy here.

Rebecca

When I heard that son I thought it was a copy of the original song. I figured she had gotten some rights.

Mark Proctor

Bellamy's that is.

Carla

well just because they have the line "Hold it Against Me" doesnt mean that Brittney copied or anything you know some singers have the same line but in different songs. that doen't mean they exactly stole thier song.Brittney only used "Hold it Against Me" cuz its part of her song, duh!!!

eivissa

ummmmmmm, nope

sorry

Don't hear it at all. hahahahahahahahaha

what a joke

those guys need to get a life..............................

go home!

What an @ss! The songwriter TOTALLY ripped off the hook, he should be paying them. How sleazy, learn how to write with more originality buddy. NOT Winning!

go home!

Um, listen to the original song people, they have more than the line "would you hold it against me" in it. It says If I "...", just like Britney's did...the new songwriter stole the hook and the idea of the song. He is a loser and should pay the Bellamy Bros for a freakin' finders fee!

moso

Give me a Break!! There are a bunch of songs out there with the same title but it's a different song....
Did she actaully copy the melody?? Probably not!
Those old guys just need the money!!!!
WHO CARES...
I don't care for the lip sync queen much but I don't think it's a rip off!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments