Mike Starr -- Mixing Drugs Hours Before Death

3/9/2011 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Alice in Chains bass player Mike Starr was "mixing" methadone and anxiety medication hours before he died ... this according to Mike's roommate.

Mike Starr Drugs

The roommate tells TMZ ... Mike had been using methadone recently in an effort to get sober -- but he had also been taking medication to battle anxiety issues he had been suffering from since his arrest last month.

We're told Mike was doing a pretty good job managing his medication -- but according to Mike's roommate, Starr was "mixing" the meds Monday night .. just hours before he died.

Law enforcement sources tell us Mike's official cause of death has yet to be determined.

Starr's roommate added, "Mike was a beautiful person who was fighting to stay sober ... I am going to miss him greatly."

debschira

#12 MEEEN2 THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. GOD BLESS YOU BROTHER AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS, WE WILL MISS MIKE GREATLY.

Lisa

RIP Mike Starr :(

(the other Lisa)

Trish

Usually, I have no sympathy for drug abusers. It's a stupid choice to make; but, Mike seemed like a nice guy who just made some bad decisions. Most drug abusers seem to be total jerks; but, there was something likeable and child-like about this guy. You just wanted to "help" him......This is a sad one.

t

Do you think his tombstone will mention Alice in Chains?

debschira

HEY #26, PLEASE JOIN #6 AND 16 IN THE DOUCHEBAG AISLE, BUT WAIT I SEE A PATTERN FORMING HERE. DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE IT? ALL THE AZZHOLES HAVE 6'S IN THEIR POSTS. THAT IS JUST CREEPY, NOW WE KNOW WHERE ALL THE EVIL POSTS ARE COMING FROM. I AM NOT AFRAID THOUGH BECAUSE GOD IS GREATER AND HE IS HAVING A LOVELY CHAT WITH MIKE RIGHT NOW.

gorecore72

i cant wait until one of u so called "holier than thou druggie haters" lose someone close to drugs or alcohol. then you can take a piss on THEIR grave.its inevetible.

lanie

It's ironic that opiates are the first thing they give you when you go to the hospital for pain. Trying to withdraw is the catch...somehow if they could figure out that part.

Posted at 9:59 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by queen love
----------------------------------

No, it's not really. Anyone who has an operation - most likely has used pain medication for a LIMITED time basis. You don't get addicted to the stuff for taking it for 1-6 weeks (depending on the surgery)...unless you have an addictive personality and a propensity towards drug abuse.

Pain meds are NECESSARY in pain management. Can you imagine getting cut open and NOT getting any time of relief from medication? Dr Drew will even tell you that opiates are necessary.

There are people who need them to survive for chronic pain (with ailments like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic migraines..or have been in auto accidents, sustained injuries in a war OR as a victim of a violent crime, etc) & would most likely commit suicide OR be confined to the house all day until they died -- if they did not get relief from the meds.... do use them on a long term basis, but for the most part - these medicines, schedule II & IV meds, are only meant for short term use.

These medicines are NOT evil. But you do have to be very careful when taking them and if you even think you're starting to get addicted -- then you need to talk to your doctor about another approach.

Regardless, it is sad to see what happened to Mike. I actually cried yesterday, because I was really upset over his death. I AM a huge Layne Staley fan & went into a mild depression for a few days after his death and I still think of him often.. and miss him.

RIP Mike.

Itoldu

You can't just get methadone at the local CVS.
It is VERY,HIGHLY,CONTROLLED.
Whoever provided it,should have made it perfectly clear,that "mixing" meds,without medical advice, is like playing Russian Roulette.

KellyR

Such a waste of talent... Sad... My heart goes out to his family, friends, and fans all over the world... :-( We lost a helluva musician...

lanie

"The roommate tells TMZ ... Mike had been using methadone recently in an effort to get sober"
Very weak minded human being. Just one less person breathing our air, eating our food and parking in our spaces.
R.I.P. DRUGGIE!

Posted at 10:34 AM on Mar 9, 2011 by anotherfnday
------------------------------

Are you a troll or just a flat out idiot? Do you realize that Mike and all the other people who have OD'ed are DEAD and your words can NOT hurt them? But your words CAN hurt the people who cared about this man.

Watch Layne Staley's mother, Nancy, when she appeared on Celebrity Rehab --- when she appeared on the show - Layne had been dead for 7 years and her pain was still palpable. Every time I watch her speak - I cry.

When people die - it is the people left behind who hurt. The person who died is gone. Finished. Over and out. But the pain lingers on for the people who loved the deceased person.

I've never had family and/or friends who did drugs -- at least not that I know of... and I certainly have never experienced having to watch as someone slowly destroyed themselves using drugs.. but I have lost a loved one and it's the worst pain in the world & hurts on a daily basis.

So either you've never lost someone you love OR you're just an uncaring, insensitive person with no soul.

Have some compassion for the people who are grieving and hurting today and put a lid on the "junkie" posts. They serve no purpose besides hurting the loved ones of the deceased.

RIP Mike!

PelosiSux

As a recovering drug addict (clean/sober for almost 24 years), I have to say that Mike's biggest problem was that he suffered from terminal uniqueness. Despite advice, efforts and pleas from people who have been there and done that (addiction recovery), Mike insisted that he was different... that we didn't understand him... that his particular situation didn't fit the steps to recovery. Once again, the addict was wrong and he lost his life because addiction is cunning, baffling and powerful. It lies to you repeatedly and waits for just the right moment to take your life. RIP, Mike Starr. I am very, very sad this story's ending wasn't happy. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Wanda

Rest in peace Mike. I was hoping you were going to make it. I hope there's a heaven waiting for you.

D

#32, Al in Chains had a new CD a year and a half ago. I'd say they are very "relevant" still.

gorecore72

just ignore these morons disrespectin mike.you know their just a bunch of obese hillbilly trailertrash that think drinking a half gallon of rotgut doesnt make them an addict.HYPOCRITES! go russel up a possum for some vittles!

Dave

Mikey.Mikey. Mikey. You will be missed.