Bret Michaels Sues

The Tonys Almost KILLED Me

3/25/2011 7:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels blames the 2009 Tony Awards for causing the brain hemorrhage that nearly killed him ... after he was whacked in the head by a piece of scenery while performing on the show.

0325-brett_tony_EX_TMZ
Michaels has filed a lawsuit against Tony Award Productions, CBS and others ... blaming producers for not instructing him on how to safely exit the stage after his performance was over ... because while he tried to exit, he was "smacked" in the face by a piece of the set.

In the suit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Michaels claims he had to be hospitalized for a broken nose and a cut lip.

Six months after the awards, Bret nearly died from a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage -- and the rocker insists it was NO coincidence.

In his suit, Michaels claims, "One of the most common causes of this type of hemorrhage is head trauma -- exactly like the one Michaels suffered at the hands of the Tony Awards."

0325_bret_michaels_video_smallMichaels notes, "Through his sheer will to live, to see his children grow up, [he] was able to survive this trauma."

Bret says producers have "failed and refused" to remedy the situation ... and even blamed him for the mishap at the Tony Awards, claiming he "missed his mark."

Michaels is suing for unspecified damages. A rep for the Tonys had no comment.

Joann

This happen in 2009 and he's just suing NOW...I really expected him to sue right after it happened. Brett must be talking to Charlie.

Of course he'll have to prove the hit on the head from the Tony Awards prop was the DIRECT cause of his brain hemorrhage and he will also need a doctor's statement to back it up. Good luck Brett.

david

ubernoob

most of you are idiots. just like bret and his fail jobs. has he had one?

bob

Maybe he should sue his cocaine dealer.....cocaine = increased blood pressure = haemorragic stroke....go figure

CW

Come on Bret, all the years you've been on stages, and someone had to instruct you how to get off the stage? Sounds like you are getting to be just like all the other quacks in the entertainment business. Just like you skankin' around with those girls on the Rock of Love, when you have a beautiful girl in Kristy, who has always been there and is the mother of your beautiful daughters!

M.

It looked to me like he didn't hit his mark. Perhaps the fault was his. It looked that way to me way back then. I think he is broke cuz of the medical bills and now he needs to be paid. He's lame

Adrian Sloan

Michaels is an idiot. You can tell by watching the video that he obviously missed his mark when exiting the stage. Instead of walking out on time he wanted to enjoy the ovation and stayed longer than the rest of the band. IF that would have been the producers FAULT, then the WHOLE band would had been injured, not just Micheals!!! Get real Michaels, all you want is to milk the cow while you can. What a joke you are!!!

Oz

People sue and win for less. My opinion is that, Bret is entitled, that production is liable, and can afford to be held financially responsible for their errors. Bret didn't walk and fall off the stage, that thing came down without regard for any people still on the stage.

melissa

PATHETIC!!

Davey Boy

Now I've heard everything. I suppose people can sue just because they're too stupid to know how to exit a stage. Good lord, what a tard.

Ray

Every rose has a thorn, then the big sign fell on my nose.I'm just a singing bloke who is nearly broke.But at least it missed my hose.
Going to sue the tonies cause I a balding dumb ass **** phony.Every rose has a thorn...yada yada yada

cindy

O.K. Bret, Now your getting ridiculus. Didn't you try to sue someone earlier this year? You have enough of your own money. I use to like you, and root for you when all those bad things were happening to you, but now, you're just being stupid!

Tinalouise

Very hard to prove since he did have a hole in his heart that most likely contributed to his stroke not to mention his diabetes and how ****ty he takes care of himself. He should just be happy he is still alive and not dead of AIDS after sleeping with countless grossed out skanks.

Hey Now

I support Bret 100% (so I loved the 1st comment on this article :)) There was already so much speculation if that incident had caused all these issues or brought on all these issues - and I know he has a case.

Hey Now

If you guys don't leave Bret alone I'm gonna beat you up! lol