Katie Couric Has NOT Made CBS Exit Deal

4/4/2011 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric has not officially quit CBS, but nonetheless network sources tell us it's a virtual certainty that she will be leaving.

Katie Couric

Sources connected with Couric tell us ... Katie has no hard feelings toward CBS and may end up staying at the network, but feels her role as anchor of the CBS Evening News has been way too confining.

We're told Couric is most interested in doing a syndicated show -- probably a talk show -- but wants to end up somewhere that has a news operation where she can contribute.  Sources say she's in serious talks with CBS, NBC and CNN.  Her reps are talking to ABC, but that's a long shot.

Katie's exit from CBS Evening News is "not 100%" but it's just a matter of time before Katie announces her departure -- sources say it will come in the next few weeks.

Katie's plan is to start a syndicated show in September, 2012.

As far as front-runners, a Katie source says there are none -- "Everything and everyone is in play."

Katie Couric Photos

Puckett

Yeah but in her defense MariJoy it was extremely entertaining to watch her discomfort as she took it up the poop shoot live on TV.

That and tripping up Palin are the highlights of her journalist career.

Tony

good riddens! it's about time this no talent, loud-mouthed, egomaniac disappeared!

y2kentucky

Never really cared for you, never will. You were and are bias. So long, goodbye!

Shelly

Quit watching her a long time ago. She is so full of herself.

NO NAME

Quit hating on Katie, she is the best news host ever.

IMUDADE

SHE MAY BE MORE SUITED FOR A SHOW LIKE THE JERRY SPRINGER HAS.

mj

Yes the witch will be gone, Khaotic your the worst. Oh, I just have to know; can you see Russia now you disrespectful ass. You should just be ashamed of the way you talk to people, your interviews were pathetic at best. How did you get to the top when you suck, oh I am bad I just answered my own question.

the sea

"feels her role as anchor of CBS Evening News has been way too confining"

How about you sucked at it?

Puckett

@ MJ i don't think you can blame Katie for being slick enough to trip up Palin, because she isn't slick at all. Palin just underachieved bigtime during that interview. Major FAIL.

Speaking of Palin, any new "squirmishes" break out in the Middle East? lmao she's such a twit.

Gord Campbell

CBS should get Keith Obermann... The man wreaks integrity... MSNBC treats the man abysmally when Bill O'Reilly gets away with everything. ... It would almost be like going back to Edward R Murrow, journalistically. Obermann would restore CBS back to its top ranking and is young enough to provide the energy to do so.

Stan

Her ratings are bad. I don't think CBS wants her to anchor the news anymore but most likely would want her to be on "THE EARLY SHOW". I think if Katie wastio return to Morning TV she would return to "The Today Show". This could happen because The Today show host "Meredith Vieira's" contract is up this year as well. The more interesting question is "Meredith" days at the "TODAY SHOW" numbered? If NBC sighns up Katie Meredith is a goner!

Jinko

Why do they keep giving her another job? She is terrible at what she tries to do. For goodness sake, Katie! Find a man, get married, stay home and bake cookies. I am sick and tired of seeing your little bulldog face and hearing your little girl irritating voice. Go away and don't come back another day!

Butterfly

PERHAPS I MISSED IT BUT,I hardly found a favorable comment about Katie. As for my part, I did not buy into the caring words she had for her deceased husband, particularly, about colon cancer. I am not saying I am better than anyone else because, I am not, but, when my husband was dying of cancer, I held him in my arms until his last breath which has been a great source of comfort for me. He would try to squeeze my hand as a signal he knew I was there for him. We all handle tragedy the best we know and the memories linger which will never be forgotten.

Puckett

@ butterfly, good choice. However difficult it is at the time it makes it so much easier to live with yourself afterwards.

Teeno

Bring back Dan Rather. Stop the dumbing down of American news. Dan Rather exposed Nixon, Bush feared him and by Watergate tactics Mr. Rather was taken down. Bring back Dan Rather