'Terminator' Creator: Cell Phones Are The New Skynet

4/19/2011 6:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Today is THE DAY that doomed all of humanity ... because according to "Terminator 2," April 19, 2011 ... at 8:11 PM ... Skynet became self aware, starting a chain of events that led to a war between man and machine.

0419_james_cameron_terminator_Getty

TMZ spoke to the man who CREATED the terminator, James Cameron ... and to commemorate the fact that we're all still alive, he gave us the following statement:

"Kyle Reese said in the first film that it was only 'one possible future.'  Clearly, not the one we're in.  Maybe Kyle, Sarah, John and the T-800 changed things enough to steer us away from that possible future."

Cameron adds, "Now instead of nuclear war and the machines taking over, we need to worry about global climate change.  And the machines taking over.  With everybody going through their lives bent over their Blackberries all day long, you could even argue the machines have already won."

We, for one, welcome our new mechanical overlords.

M

Wow sky net and cell phones - nice to know James Cameron watches Doctor Who - they came up with that in 2007

THIN LIZZY

"I'll take the 40-watt plasma rifle"
"hey buddy, only what you see here"
"The uzi 9 millimeter"
"great for home defense, you sure know your weapons"

THIN LIZZY

"Hey Buddy, you got a dead cat in there"?

"F@#K YOU OSHOLE!"

Cat

It's not the cell phones, it's the Kinect for Xbox..the thing friggin tracks your movements and moves following you..THAT is creepy.

Criss

That's a bit of a stretch

Mary Ann

This is exactly why I don't have a blackberry! My phone rings and texts, that's all you need.

I have a PC for work. And the internet for work, limited family and fun.

I will not allow machines to run my life, just wash my dishes!

Zippy T. Pinhead

Now I'm wondering if that was Skynet that called me earlier today on my cell phone and hung up when I answered. That pisses me off.

EchoOfSilence

ACTUALLY

Skynet became self-aware on August 29th, 1997, according to Terminator 2. The Sarah Connor Chronicles (alternate timeline) MOVES self-awareness to August 19th, 2011.

You Fail, TMZ.

I Chinee

I can't stand James Cameron.

Linda

I live in Washington, DC and was crossing Constitution Ave near the Mall when I passed Arnold Schwarzenegger riding a bike with three other guys. It was almost exactly 8:11. I thought it was a pretty cool, random celebrity sighting...until I read this story. Oh. My. God!!!

M

Well if you Blackberry's go all Terminator, I have a Nokia that can go all Transformer on its a$$

phreetoz

That's alright, I'll just go back to the future with the Doc and Buddy. He'd be fun to chill with in the 70s.

Bill Leslie

"we need to worry about global climate change"

Really Mr Big Hollywood Director/Producer? Given up your mansion? Given up the private jets? Given up the table at the 5 star eatery? Given up the career that wastes huge resources for silly teenage "entertainment" Didn't ****ing think so you hypocrite.

Marie

Yeah, like he doesn't have a cellphone....

Marie

Yeah, like he doesn't have a cellphone....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments