Mel Gibson: The Tapes Don't Define Me

4/22/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has broken his silence over those incendiary audio tapes, saying, "It's one terribly awful moment in time, said to one person in the span of one day, and doesn't represent what I truly believe or how I've treated people my entire life."

0309_mel_gibson_TMZ_BN

In the wide-ranging interview with deadlinehollywood.com, Mel says, "I've never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality."

Mel shrugs off the torrent of criticism over the tapes, which he claims "have been edited," saying "I don't blame some people for thinking [I'm bigoted] though, from all the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes."

Mel also talks about the TMZ story in 2006, in which we published 4 pages of the arrest report which detail his anti-Semitic rant.  As we reported, at the time of the arrest, Mel felt the incident would be the last straw in his marriage.  Turns out it was true.  Mel tells "Deadline" he and his wife separated the day after the arrest.

Mel is mum on his battle with Oksana Grigorieva, but, as we first reported, says he pled no contest in the criminal case so he wouldn't drag his family through the mud.

The well-done interview also goes into great detail about Mel's new movie, "The Beaver," which some critics say is Mel's best performance ever.  The movie opens next month.

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

azlee

oh and Mel, if you ever think of hooking up with this chick again ......I will personally come to CA and kick your butt!!!

ok that won't be easy but I will attempt to!!

TMZgossip

you and HumpMe DumpMe will be double dating with gibletz & oxy by halloween
~ and some of you won't need costumes

*g*

middleagedcrazy

Evening all -- fascinating interview and was very kind to all. Taking the high road will work in the end, as it had already worked with public perception of the piano player.

The nasty hate-spewers who show up the minute some article comes out about Mr. Gibson always amaze me. They either live under a rock and have never had any social interaction whatsoever or are still being paid by the lawyers and PR people to regurgitate their hate script -- do they really believe it will still work if there are other lawsuits?

Tee hee

Midwesterner

Kelly 14 minutes ago

Oh, please. You're all so pious. If someone were to record me when I'm flipping a ****, people would probably be horrified, but Mel is right. The way someone behaves when they're furious is NOT indicative of how the person generally behaves. Who hasn't said, "I hate you" or "I hope you die" or even worse when they're angry? Anyone who says they haven't is a liar.

_______________________

Good comment. Welcome aboard.

azlee

gossip.....you too could end up with a woman like that. Hate the man, but remember the woman and what a woman might do. That was your reason for being here, remember?

but anyway. I enjoyed our confrontations, although you really are a dork...a nice one at times. I want to challenge you before this is over, you have to admit that you are a lot like Mel in your thinking and creativity. You like him enough to go get a beer or coffee and shoot the ****.

You have more against the drama of the women here then against Mel Gibson. Is that fair to say?

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Firefly: according to TMZg's 'theory' (we are paid since we spend so much time posting blah blah) then it MUST also prove that HE is TMZ staff...etc...whatever/whoever else he was accused of being....including me during this last 'go round' outside the lines of logic by what I refer to as Team Stupid, some have referred to as Team Asinine, he refers to as Team Lunatic --but I thought that was Sweets territory--oh wait there are enough Sweets 'gang' ;) around to qualify as Team Lunatic still, aren't there? Anyway, I digress: By his 'standard' he too is guilty sinc ehe is here posting away as much as us.

Tonight it appears he fell of the wagon, being nasy and sensless again. Too bad really, I was starting to actually enjoy some of his posts.

There will always be haters around. Whatever: Mel is going to be just fine. :)

The comments over there (psst Lori-the REAL story is over at Deadline) are very poistive. I'm very happy to see he has a good handle on it all.

Mel is a tower of strength. Love that Mel. :)

azlee

gossip, I don't think so....and what do you mean I won't need a costume? ;-)

stef

To those of you 'forgiving' Mel...I'm curious as to why? I'm not talking about the alleged physical abuse from him/Oksana's alleged extortion...I'm talking about the fact that he repeatedly used the 'N' word during these phone rants...and as we know, made terrible comments about the Jews a few years back when he also claimed those comments were 'not the real Mel', just like he did above. Apparently, the 'real Mel' IS racist...so why do so many forgive him each time he opens his mouth and makes these terrible comments?

TMZgossip

azlee less than a minute ago

...

you only end up with a "woman like that" when you're looking for affirmation... so I will never have any worries about the possibility.

I am here because I find the whole story interesting.... mostly because I could never imagine myself in that situation. Unfortunately we'll never know the 'real' story.

I don't like gibletz, but that wouldn't stop me from sharing a table with him to chat.

azlee

gossip isn't tmz staff! he is a computer geek that works on networks and this is his time out from doing it. I'd bet 5.00 on it!

You sit in front of a computer and you are waiting for things to churn you look around and besides he goes to news articles and posts (he said that months ago, I don't stalk the man).

azlee

thanks for the honesty gossip. Then you two would go into creativity and hate each other and still shake hands when a job went well.

TMZgossip

azlee 6 minutes ago

gossip, I don't think so....and what do you mean I won't need a costume? ;-)
...

I said "some of you"
I didn't say "all of you"

Oxy just needs the hat & broomstick
giblets has brimely down pat
HumpMe just needs a wall

Midwesterner

azlee 5 minutes ago

haven't read anything, but ok Mel said the phone calls were from day. WOW! That is one hell of a fight.

I'd rather listen to a video of this interview because you never get the right tones in a dictation.

I do get one thing though, he just wants it to be his business, not ours. I guess I should hang up the TMZ things on mel, because although we tried to help, we don't.

Mel Gibson, you are really honest and absolutely admirable. You fall, you get up. You fall again and never give yourself a break of your conduct. No excuses.

I wish you a healthy life with your kids, your ex wife (almost) and with your friends. Salud!

________________________________________

Kris also said the phone calls were from one day, right? But he also said there were 40 calls. A lot of picking and choosing of what to edit, if that turns out to be correct.

As to it being "his business"--of course that's the way he wants life, and he always has. That's not news. But he stupidly screwed up the life he had with a woman who kept his business out of the press for nearly a quarter of a century, then took up with a slut (an individual he described as the woman he had dreamed about all his life), and SHE made his business public. Mel has nothing but his own bad judgment to blame for that.

Personally, I haven't been posting here to help Mel, but to interact with others who are interested in this story. I don't think what we write here affects Mel Gibson.

I think there will soon be audio and video interviews, but Mel's history is to come off badly in them, so I am not looking forward to them.

azlee

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

too funny.

Firefly

Your right Sam,

I was thinking the same thing about TMZg. Some times I think are there two TMZgs or does TMZg like pulling a Sybil, and brings out the other person that lurks within. He drinks? That would explain alot. LOL