New Kid on the Block Finds New Kidney for Fan

4/26/2011 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's official ... Twitter saves lives -- in fact, Donnie Wahlberg from New Kids on the Block was able to help find a NEW KIDNEY for an extremely sick fan ... using nothing but the social networking site.

0426_knotb

It all started with a tweet from the fan's best friend who was trying to raise awareness about the girl's dire situation -- one of her kidneys was failing ... fast.

Donnie retweeted the link to his 183,000 followers, asking for help ... prompting a barrage of phone calls to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where the girl -- named Bobbette Miller -- was being treated.

According to the Boston Herald, the calls yielded SIX matches -- and Bobbette is now scheduled for a transplant in June.

Ah, the power of 140 characters or less.

0426_nkotb_footer

Track Gals

Donnie is the BEST! Check out the full story on bostonherald.com/inside_track.

Brit

It is so nice to see this story. If more people with his power spoke out alot of lives would be saved. My prayers are with the young lady.

electriczipper

Only in Nashville could this happen

kali

What a wonderful story!

WillOTheWisp

@ electriczipper
The only loser is you, you stinking ass Enema Nozzle!!
Phoebe help to prolong her severely brain damaged daughter's life by 29 years!!
Top that, motherf#cker!!!

DellBella

I've always loved Donnie, and this just makes me love him even more. He's got a good heart! Good luck to Bobbette.

Superman

WOW!! That's awesome! To think even 6 people are willing to donate their kidney to a stranger gives me some hope in mankind. These are the people that should be 'celebs', not the selfish ingrates we have now.

Criss

That's nice!

LTBK

Really nice thing to do. What probably took him 1 minute to do will God willing make this girl healthy and live a long and happy life. He had the kindness and concern to try and help her while the Sheen's and Lohan's and Dionne Warwick's (RANDOM I know but after seeing her on Celebrity Apprentice could not think of anyone more self serving, and ALL the rest) will continue on with their narcissistic, self involved, meaningless lives. Everyone should try to help out others if possible, but those who absolutely are drowning in money and have the exposure to do something good and do NOTHING for ANYONE that does not involve their own sick, self gratification are the WORST of the worst. Done. Good Going Donnie.

Heather

You friggin rock Donnie! Congrats Bobbette, get well soon!!

hey look at me

Did he beat the cr@p out of some young Asian dude and steal his kidney? Yeah, you thought we'd forgotten huh Donnie boy?

PCS in NC

I hope the other 5 that didn't match to this chick decided to donate to some random person that they did match! So many people die everyday waiting for a kidney. If these people would be tested to make Donnie happy, I hope they followed through and donated to others who were waiting. Just saying......

PCS in NC

Also, I'm glad for her, but the article says she's in desperate need of a kidney, yet her transplant is scheduled for June? That's not desperate need. Desperate need is someone who needs one today--not more than a month away. Seriously, I'm happy for her but sad for the others at that hospital who were overlooked who are likely to be in more "desparate" need than this girl. -Signed, a researcher in the transplant field.

Steve

Hey, I'm waitig for a kidney also, but I'm not on Donnie Walsh's twitter. Maybe I can find a kidney from TMZ??? :o) I am a huge fan of Switchfoot. Best of luck to this girl and all who are waiting for organ transplants~! I have B+ blood.

Steve
scars73@hotmail.com

klk

Michael Jackson did this same thing years ago, never saw him get any praise for that??? That's ok Michael we you fans know the good work you did. Thank you Donnie.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments