'Poetry Man' Singer Phoebe Snow -- Dead at 60

4/26/2011 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Grammy-nominated singer Phoebe Snow -- famous for her 1970s hit "Poetry Man" -- passed away this morning from complications of a brain hemorrhage.

Phoebe Snow Dead

Among Snow's main accomplishments -- she performed for President Bill Clinton in 1999 and sang at Howard Stern's wedding to Beth Ostrosky in 2008.

Snow famously put her music career on hold for many years to care for he daughter Valerie -- who was born in 1975 with severe brain damage.

Valerie was not expected to live past her toddler years, but with Phoebe's care -- she lived to be 31 and passed away in 2007.

A private funeral will be held for Phoebe in the next few days.

WillOTheWisp

Ha-ha! I meant to post this here!

TMZ is losing their edge on reporting worthwhile news!!!

It's about freaking time TMZ put this news about Phoebe up!!!

I don't know why Lindsey, Steve Wynn, Coco's big ass, and the rest of these itchy looking people get 'news'(?) printed about them, and real people with talent don't!!???

Is there any staff members with class??!!

gaysammy

what a beautiful voice and what a beautiful soul! she put her singing career on hold for decades to love and care for her daughter Valerie. may she rest in peace.

CCC

I agree with Neko Nation. There were a lot of great soulful singers that the artists of today can learn from. Phoebe may well have put out many more hits had it not been for her daughters illness, but as a mother she did what was necessary. Such character.. RIP Phoebe.

CCC

I agree 100% with Neko Nation. There are some amazing, soulful singers from days gone by that the artists of today can learn from. Phoebe was beautiful inside and out. She may well have put out many more songs had it not been for her childs illness, but as a mother she did what was necessary. Such charater. Her life was filled with pain, but she overcame it hopefully in ways none of us will ever have to experiance. RIP Phoebe.

Mike

I will forever have your beautiful songs and voice in my head-"Take Your Children Home" and now you are there. Love You Mike

Bryan

Who?

nisiek

Love Phoebe Snow..she was heart and soul...and a very good human being and mother. RIP sweet Phoebe!!

Pete Beau

Shine, shine, shine.
RIP Phoebe, you made the dreaded disco 80's bearable for this old ***.

HumanNature

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL VOICE!!!

R.I.P.

LongJohn69

Didn't he/she play "Pat" on SNL?

weloveyoumj

So sad, beautiful voice now sings in heaven. Rest in Peace with your beautiful daughter, I wait to be with mine.

Raejean

Phenomenal voice. So sad, but happy she will rejoin her daughter.

tlcmk

Deserved a way better career than she got. Awesome voice.

WillOTheWisp

TMZ is full of chit!!

There was nothing posted about Phoebe Snow at 11:30am!!!!
I'm 2 hours ahead of Pacific time, and I checked before posting my comment at 12:46pm Central and there was nothing about Phoebe on here, now they're saying:

4/26/2011 11:30 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

Liar, Liar - TMZ Staffs all Liars!! : )

raven

It brings back memories of times gone by. How my friend and I used to play records all night. Singing along, dancing and drinking wine. Good times. Ah the good old days when music reached ones soul.
So glad I still have her record.
Thanks for the memories. Poetry Man...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments