President Obama WILL NOT Release Death Photo

5/4/2011 10:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

President Barack Obama has now decided he will NOT release the ultra-gory photos of Osama bin Laden's bloody, bullet-ridden face to the public.

0504_osama_BN_Getty-01

The news comes in the wake of reports that Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Hillary Clinton had advised Obama about concerns that releasing a photograph could prompt a backlash against the U.S.

Obama told "60 Minutes" ... "The risks of release outweigh the benefits" ... adding, "Conspiracy theorists around the world will just claim the photos are doctored anyway, and there is a real risk that releasing the photos will only serve to inflame public opinion in the Middle East."

Obama continued, "Imagine how the American people would react if al-Qaida killed one of our troops or military leaders, and put photos of the body on the internet."

"Osama bin Laden is not a trophy -- he is dead and let's now focus on continuing the fight until al-Qaida has been eliminated."

emerald

cjkitti He did not have a gun in his hand but he had it close to hand and was going for it, one at least of which was an AK47, so the report says! There is a difference to being unarmed with no weapons anywhere, to having an AK47 close to hand and going for it - would you wait until he's reached the gun and risk your own lives further?!
I don't trust everything on the Internet, but let me ask YOU, do you really in your wildest dreams believe that those shown the photo's (families you suggested) would not find a way to copy it and release it to the press?! All you'd have to do is look at the photo and get your mobile phone camera set then take a photo of the photo's hm?! D'you really trust that someone wouldn't then sell those pictures to the press and make a fortune off of them, because if they could get their hands on them there isn't a doubt in my mind the media would publish them and they would pay highly for them! You could sell copies to every outlet going worldwide hm?!
I wouldn't trust anyone with those photo's, not even the politicians in power not to leak them lol!!

richard pierce

Osamas last twitter message:

"BRB, someone's at the door!"

and now they named a ****tail after him: The OSAMA WIPEOUT

2 shots and a splash of water!

fran

cjkitti 19 minutes ago

Fran-
Really, let's just end this and ask the troops what THEY want. Do they want the pictures shown? They're the ones risking their a#$. They should decide. Not for nothing, but I'm not one to sit behind my white picket fence, take the governments word for everything they say without questioning it, and sing kumbayah. Like we've said, at least show the families, or other trustworthy sources, so it could be put to rest. Not to be a total jerk, but realistically I can tell you anything I want on the internet. I could tell you I have a son there to support my views. I know that sounds horrible, but it's true. Do you always accept everything that people tell you without ever questioning it? You're worried about us being savages, but apparently they said he was unarmed when he was shot, so now do we pick and choose when to act unethical and moral and label it so?
***********************
I agree with you, as I have stated it should be up to those that lost family, and the soldiers who are fighting..i didnt say you were savages I said we shouldnt act like savages because the Taliban or al-quada do...as far as him being unarmed , how were the Seals to know that truthfully until after. Personally I am glad he is dead..I dont want to see his picture though.

Throwback kid

Did he go for a weapon or not? Did he hold a woman in front of him or not? The story is changing. The same thing happened with Pat Tillman, they told us he was killed fighting the Taliban then we find out he was killed by his own men. Would it be too much to ask our government to just tell us the truth?

PRO US

emerald, the Federal Government can easily put the families of the victims of Al Quaida through a metal scanner that would reveal any cell phones and thereby remove any cell phones or cameras in their possession before showing them the pictures. They could also keep a Federal Agent there while the family looks at the pictures. It's just a question of respecting the wishes of the families of the fallen, that's all. Nothing will bring back their relatives. We should accommodate their wishes in this matter the best we can. I understand your point but we cannot always be so cynical or skeptical. It's a question of compassion.

cjkitti

emerald... really with so many different stories going around, who knows. Armed, unarmed, using a woman to shield him, gun, no gun, like I said who knows. Only the people there will ever know the real story. We will only know what is told to us. And yes, I do want someone, independent of the government, to verify the pictures. It's the government, I don't expect them to leave someone alone with such a sensitive photo, if they can protect the president, they can protect a picture to ensure it's not leaked. Even when I take an exam I have to leave everything outside in a locker, they could take it a step further by only allowing people to see the picture that consent to body frisking, and monitor them. Otherwise, we are looking at years of conspiracy theories, sitings, mistrust of government, etc...

Julie

Excuse me, but that already happened. Kristian Menchaca and Thomas Tucker, were members of the 101st Airborne division abducted by al Qaeda in Iraq and beheaded on video.

PRO US

Throwback kid less than a minute ago

----------------------------------------------------------------
What some people including officers did to the Tillman family did by contriving that convoluted and inaccurate story about his death is so disgusting. It's hard to believe that it could have happened for PR reasons, but it did.

I was so disappointed to hear the White House change the story about how Osama died in a firefight and then how he wasn't even armed but still "resisted" and how his wife first acted and then didn't act as a human shield and how she was shot and killed and then only shot and wounded.

The Obama Administration, military or intelligence officials who misled the American public should be fired/court
martialed/terminated or reprimanded at the very least for their lies/fabrications. Osama deserved to die for his crimes but the American people didn't deserve to be lied to by their own Administration.

If Obama wants to restore integrity to government, he has to smarten up a little bit and cut down on his stupid golf games almost every week. We didn't elect him to be an amateur golfer. If he can't dedicate the time needed to be President and address this country's profound economic and other problems, maybe he should resign. We don't want to keep him from his golf games. I think he's going to set a record for the most golf games played by a 1 term President while in office. We're not impressed, Mr. Obama. Get to work or resign!

cjkitti

Fran...

Yeah, good debate though. Like I said to emerald, like anything in life when you're not there yourself, one will never know the true story, only what we're told. It's not easy making ethical decisions, there's no right or wrong. They don't want to incite violence by showing it, on the other hand the Pakistani's were on the news today mad and rioting that a picture hasn't been released, so it's unevitable. Anyways... nite, nite all!!! Only time will tell...

fran

I'm not going to debate someone like you who is that crazy or a a traitor. I hope for your own sake and that of your family, that you get some psychological help. Say whatever you like. It's a free country. But with what you've said, you've gone beyond the pale; What you've said is unforgivable. I won't respond to you anymore. What's the point? You're totally NUTS and totally pathetic. I pity you, you poor thing. You must be miserable hating your own country and countrymen so much.You're deliberately comparing innocent, law-abiding, hardworking Americans who want to see the pictures of Osama Bin Lden dead to Al Quaida terrorists who callously murdered thousands of innocent Americans? You must be mentally disturbed or a traitor.

*****************************************************

@pro us I think you are the one with problems if that is how you react to the opinions of others and I am not the first one on this board ....I am what did you call me , Nuts , a Traitor, Totally Pathetic...well I hardly hate the states or your countrymen...just because I dont want to see a gruesome picture of this man doesnt make me any of the things you have called me. I think you are getting too carried away. I cried for all those in 9\11, and I still cry and I find it too hard to even watch I have to leave the room...The world was horrified over that..pardon me if I just dont want to see it again to satisfy some peoples morbid curiosity. I hardly think its my fault that you dont believe the Navy Seals or your president ..do you think people are going to accept a picture.

Tania

I agree with the decision to not release the photos. If they were released, it will still be assumed by many that they were fake just like many believe that the President's birth certificate is fake.

dd

Everyone will move on. Nobody has seen HOFFAS body but he's not coming back either!

dd

@Fran, GOOD POST! U Tell Him....

Gsharon 710

I know if it was President Obama's suggestion about the burial of Osama, I don't think it was unwise. Sure our families here have suffer because of Osama, supposedly. Doing this DOES NOT make President Obama a *****. One thing Blacks have had to learn is to not follow in the foot steps of revenge. If we did we would wipe this country.. Just because you think it was wrong to be decent does not make Obama a bad leader.

Race, religion, leadership all have it's ups and downs, and the struggle to live ones life by choice is sometimes hard. President Obama will NEVER please everyone.

Get this. However he got in the Office is not important..........He is there. If he turns out to be the worse President since our first,...He is there. If he does not run, or get elected again....he was there. We have our first BLACK PRESIDENT... Get over it. If you have ideas.....notify him. We are the people, but if you are just spewing out your butt and saying something you heard someone else say....Just stfu. You run for President smart ass, and as much as I would vomit, I would still give you the respect due to the fact you are our leader.

We cannot even stand strong for our military and other leaders here on the internet because of untrained, unforgiving, selfless, egotistical, bigots and know it alls. ..........and they come in all colors. This is it. I am not into arguing for long, and I know I am probably speaking about someone from that office at TMZ who knows BS will getAclick huh? Sorry Boo......AOL responses are in the thousands on this subject. Ignorant ASS,

sherrymurph

3 pics of three men killed there was put out by ruters-if you are shot in the head from behind you don't fall on your back-you fall forward......and after losing a gallon of blood you sure as hell don't keep your tan no matter how dark skinned you are!The 1 pic that I do tend to beleive was real real was of a man laying on the floor-very little blood from his head and gobbs of something (brain matter and shot in the chest...with same bed sheet above him where bin laden was to have been shoot) I don't know-to me -Obama is the new David Copperfield-at every turn he pulls a new rabbit out of his hat
Think about-2mill to hide his life-then he gets birth certificate-hey why don't he just give a footprint from kenya birth certificate?Compare them-how easy would that be? Now He out of the blue kills bin laden-but who got protected days before this-not america-but is people in kenya! Oh my-our tax money not even spent on us! If there is retaliation it would be on all america---not obamas dear old granny in kenya-what a slap in americas face!
As usual to much fishy stuff from obama-disspossale of body so quickly is funny-dna confirmed to quickly! Sadam's body was checked out more better and longer and we got to watch him hang!Were they not both criminals? Why did the worst one(bin laden) deserve than sadam? Will never belive obama on this one-once a liar-always a lair

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments