President Obama WILL NOT Release Death Photo

5/4/2011 10:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

President Barack Obama has now decided he will NOT release the ultra-gory photos of Osama bin Laden's bloody, bullet-ridden face to the public.

0504_osama_BN_Getty-01

The news comes in the wake of reports that Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Hillary Clinton had advised Obama about concerns that releasing a photograph could prompt a backlash against the U.S.

Obama told "60 Minutes" ... "The risks of release outweigh the benefits" ... adding, "Conspiracy theorists around the world will just claim the photos are doctored anyway, and there is a real risk that releasing the photos will only serve to inflame public opinion in the Middle East."

Obama continued, "Imagine how the American people would react if al-Qaida killed one of our troops or military leaders, and put photos of the body on the internet."

"Osama bin Laden is not a trophy -- he is dead and let's now focus on continuing the fight until al-Qaida has been eliminated."

MP

The president has a duty to America and its citizens, not the people of the rest of the world. I couldn't care less if their sensitivities are inflamed.

noneofyourbusiness

Still trying to figure out how us seeing the photo will make us heal faster or feel better about anything that has happened.

But, then again, I didn't loose anyone I loved dearly in 9/11. I cannot imagine the emotions that are flooding thru those families at this time. Too bad terriorism and hate have to rule the world. To love one another is so much easier.

Bob Loblaw

The reason Saddam's execution was released was because it was done by the Iraqis, not the Americans. We had no personnel involved in his hanging. The Iraqi's who executed him released it - without permission from their government. Some guy with a cell phone recorded it and leaked it to the press. I remember he was arrested for it, afterward.

As far as Saddam's sons go, they were universally hated and feared within Iraq and people would continue to be afraid had images of their bodies not been released.

Criss

On Sunday I said that unless he really screws up between now and November, he got himself a second term. Well that didn't take long.

bunny

Obama allowed America to celebrate his death, he can at least pleasure them even more by giving them proof. Or will he wait until Donald Trump request it? I hope Al Jazeera gets it. They have all the cool stuff.

Wilson1234

And another thing... Do you honestly think that the as much as the republicans hate Obama being president that they would let him get away with CLAIMING HE KILLED OSAMA BIN LADIN. If this was a false claim, someone would of caught onto it by now. There was bi-partisan support on this decision. In fact I read McCain agreed that they should not be released. I think this decision was made on National Security concerns, in regards to the saftey of the people. He dosen't give our enemies more of a reason to attack us. We did just kill their "idol".

Ashley

"The White House is making a big mistake. People are already talking like it's not true.Didn't they learn from the birth certificate thing. Let the people see him, those who don't want to see it look away."

I agree. If ya don't wanna see it then ya don't have to click/look/see but then if ya do it'd be available to where you could. I don't understand why they're NOT releasing it. Like you said already people are saying he's not truly dead. So why not just release it?

Snooki'sHairBump

I don't know why people want to see the photos anyway. They said that he face isn't recognizable because of the way he was shot. People are going to say that it's a fake anyway. Besides, he is already confirmed dead with the DNA match from his sister. So what's the point?

Jenn

I don't think that's fair. I think America has the RIGHT to see what the last of Osama. We all saw what he did to us so why can't we see what happened to him???

Rocco

You might want to fact check before using anything from the irresponsible Drudge in the future.

kanyeisgay

He will flip flop on this decision like he has on every issue he has faced since taking office. WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE USA !

chris

The upside is this will, in my opinion, guarantee the Obama will NOT get reelected. He's a p.ussy and I believe he is hiding something BIG. I've said since he took Office there is something not right about Obama, something I dont trust.....I see this "move" as confirmation of my suspicions....

I get the feeling Mr Obama ( cant refer to him as President) is actually a OBL sympathizer....Effin' moron....

HEY DUMB.AZZ in the WHITE HOUSE....those barbarians in the middle east LOVE to take pix of OUR troops being shot and tortured...and they LOVE to share the pix and videos.

Next time you run for office, dont count on my vote....AZZ-HOLE

jjgirl

Or perhaps there are no photos..cuz the US military is full of s%^#t..and thought it was due time to come up with some reason to start pulling men out??!!

Mission FAILED??

Hundreds of soldiers from US, Canada and 17 other countries died looking for a man who can't be found??

"Hey sorry the USA spent sooo many years and millions of dollars. Never made a real differnce (now your all broke)..but hey we tried :)"

You know it has gone to pot when our Canadian $$ is kicking ass!!

Italia

TO: kanyeisgay who wrote: “He is not dead people !! That was his stunt double that took the facelift. It is all about reelection. He should be releasing a new terror video Hawaii any day now. WE ARE JUST SAYIN'!”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Who is “we,” you and your evil twin?

All you’ve done is made the case for the pix NOT to be released. If you want say he’s not dead, looking at pictures that YOU can’t possibly validate won’t change your mind.

Grow up a little, grow a pair, and try to think “smart”.

People who make up stories (like you did about releasing videos in Hawaii) is probably what made the POTUS decide not to release the flix.

Anything that is released anywhere in the world WILL end up on the internet.

Cody

No surprise there, maybe if Osama was actually dead there would be photos.