Honda Spokesman -- I Got Screwed At Honda Dealer!!

5/8/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A man claims he got royally screwed at a Honda dealership ... the twist to this story -- he's the guy who pitches Hondas on TV.

0506_honda_launch_EX

Dennis Singletary tells TMZ he went to an L.A. Honda dealership in April to buy a 4-door Honda Civic and wanted the very same deal he pitches on national televsion -- "The Really Big Thing" ... which  is 0% down, low finance rates and $190 a month payments.

Dennis qualified because his credit rate was a solid 709. Problem was -- the dealership didn't have the car he wanted. So Dennis trotted over to another dealership which DID have the car ... and that's where he endured a gross miscarriage of car justice.

Dennis claims the dealer wouldn't give him "The Really Big Thing," because according to the dealer his credit score was only 663.

Dennis protested to no avail. Finally, in frustration, Dennis called the first dealer -- put him on the speaker phone and asked him to repeat his credit score -- 709.

But the 2nd dealer was immovable -- sticking Dennis with the lower score.

Dennis finally pulled a, "Do you know who I am" ... left in a huff and fired off a letter to corporate ... saying, "How is it that I am dealing with such blatant dishonesty and unethical behavior from one of your dealerships, when my face was all over the TV promoting the very deal I wasn’t able to get? If this is the way I am being treated how is everyone else being treated?"

In the end, Dennis went to yet another dealership ... and scored a great deal on a Honda with the terms he wanted.

0506-honda-launch_v2

Calls to Honda were not returned.

Jus Another Viewer

***BREAKING NEWS***
A rip-off happened at a Car dealer!
And it happened to a black man!
!!Shocking news RIGHT!!
more at 11.
..i.-.-.i..
Seriously L-O-L

Phreaky

Car dealers screw you twelve ways to Sunday then boo-hoo that it's necessary because there are all those pesky fees THEY have to pay, like rent for their dealership and crap.
They would sell their own mother for an extra $1000.

BB

I am NOT at all surprised. Hey, we're talking new car dealers here. The two people which are at the bottom of the list of the worst professions - new car dealers and used car dealers.

Three of the most depressing, stress-filled and aggravating experiences in life: getting laid off, being mugged and negotiating the price of a new car with a car salesperson.

chefadam

Wait one second! He want a really big thing? Actors

Gene Foreman

He should have gone to a Benz dealer where they treat you right. Not a commoner Honda dealership. How do you think you'll be treated?

paisley

I'm from LA and believe I know the dealer(s) he's gone to. Probably the first one is one I've gone to once in the past and they were so bad they were ridiculous. A car dealer often uses a different version of a customer's credit score from another dealer. They even have a score which isn't available to the public. It's probably why he finally cut a deal at another one. They used a more favorable report. It most likely had nothing to do with his race. It's about time Congress took on the credit reporting bureaus and established ONE score used by all and available at all times to the consumer.

Cartman

No doubt racism was involved.

Bro should've just bought a Ford.

Cartman

And don't be so quick to diss car dealers. It's an honest job.

They have to deal with people lying to them and hating on them all day long thinking they can blame the car dealers for them not paying their bills on time.

I did it for a while back in the day and every chitheel with bad credit and 3 days on an $8 an hour job thinks they deserve a car and that you are cheating them. It's a thankless job.

two cents

He should name the dealers publicily. Other potential customers should know where they can get an honest deal and where they can't! Maybe rent out a billboard. LOL I don't think it's slander if it's true.

E

I feel really bad for the guy.

In terms of car salespeople, I was completely honest with the dealerships I went to about my exact situation when I went to buy a car (and when I purchased one, I called all the other salespeople who had helped me and left voicemails about who I was and what car I had been looking at, and that I decided to go with another option; and I thanked them for their help. I figure that most people don't have the common courtesy to let people know, and I thought it was only decent to tell them). I was buying used, though. The guy I bought from was comparatively honest, and I really appreciated it. I still send him Christmas cards.

Chastain86

F*ck Honda. I was the proud owner of a Honda CR-V that had known air conditioner problems -- the kind of problems where the compressor would crap out and shoot tiny metal shards through the A/C system, requiring a complete replacement of the entire system. A fix that Honda's mechanics estimate costs between $2500-4000 to complete.

Honda is well aware of this issue and does not recall the vehicles, because... well, they're Honda. They don't have to, because nobody's being harmed. So yeah. F*ck Honda.

ciimonstr

three bears

Bobo Frog

Someone is about to get fired from Honda....and it's not the corrupt car salesman.

Bobo Frog

They got a black man to be a spokesman for something called "the really BIG THING". Think about it.

dd

Good Job when u're right keep fighting!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments