Ashton Kutcher -- So Who Are You Gonna Be?

5/15/2011 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Now that the "Two and a Half Men" dust has settled, and Ashton Kutcher is on board, last night we tried to pry out of him the one remaining mystery ... exactly who will he be playing on the show?

0515_ashton_kutcher_video_tmz_ex

No answer from Ashton, but our sources say Chuck Lorre and Ashton initially agreed on the character, but in the last few days it's "evolved" into something different and is likely to change again.

It will NOT be Charlie Harper.

molly

there will never be another cha-SHEEN

Autumn_in_Michigan

Sadly, I doubt that the world will be so blessed.

molly 32 minutes ago
there will never be another cha-SHEEN

angeleyes

Good riddance to Sheen! There are lots of ways to bring Ashton into the story line - and since we are all pretending to be writers - here's my two ways:
Charlie and Rose were in Europe and got married - Charlie got swept away by a tidal wave and got eaten by a shark? -Rose inherits the house but since she's already rich she brings over her brother to live with Jake and Alan (her brother is Ashton) and he's as goofy as Rose - now Alan really has his hands full being the older guy in the storyline.

Or - Holland has an older mother - Alan's grandmother who is just as grumpy as can be since she's been raising the child Holland had out of wedlock while she was in high school- but since she's now going in an old folks home she dumps the son (Ashton) back on Holland who cannot deal with kids so she dumps him on Alan as this is his half-brother. Rose can come back from England/France and say Charlie fell off the Eiffel Tower.

Whatever the "real writers" dream up for a storyline I'm sure will be super - and I will look forward to Ashton joining the cast! It is a situation comedy folks - and the old guy chasing girls for years was getting a bit long in the tooth - after all even in real life he has to buy them -

Lori

NO CHARLIE - NO SHOW! Especially with Ashton (yuck) Kutcher! Chuck Lorre and all the little CBS execs who didn't want to bring CS back to the show - You people are dumber than a sack of hair, (oh yes I did quote Berta). Good luck because you all will need it! NO CHARLIE - NO SHOW!!!

angeleyes

Hey Lori - I'm sure your hero will figure out something for you to watch - personally I'm happy he's gone so where the show may loose you as a viewer they gained me -

Autumn_in_Michigan

I'm going to throw out a bit more speculation.

During the tour - the phase where Charlie was insisting that he was in talks with WB about coming back to the show - he even mentioned that he'd be willing to drop the lawsuit. Well, as most of us now know, he never was in those talks. I think that he was looking for a way to drop the lawsuit and still save face.

The very recent overtures he is making toward his family, and Emilio's warm response, suggest to me that his family has been waiting things out knowing what was most likely coming. I mean, it doesn't take an established Hollywood family to see that handwriting on the wall. They were waiting until Charlie had had enough reality therapy handed to him by life's school of hard knocks to be more amenable to relating with them again. May be working, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last but not least, Ashton Kutcher will ROCK 2.5 Men.

Autumn_in_Michigan

@angeleyes -

LOL at your pretend writing! I like the first scenario best. Ashton WOULD rock that role! Remember Roses's father and her grandmother? A not right bright, goofy, highly sexed Ashton could totally fit into that family. And, families like that often have relatives hidden away in attics or basements or private sanitariums that show up later.

angeleyes

Thanks SIM! I know there are a lot of talented writers working on ideas and so just had to throw out a couple of possibilities that came to my mind and I am NOT a writer - so I think there should be lots of laughs ahead for us - I can see Jon Cryer being stuck with being the Dad and trying to handle all the shena****ns both Jake and Ashtons new character could get into.

I guess since I liked Rose's character I didn't want to see her get left out of the new lineup -

bc

Nothing against Ashton but OWEN WILSON would have been GREAT for that show!

Autumn_in_Michigan

Welcome, angeleyes. Yes, I can see that, too. Boy, just think about when Jon's character has his mid life crisis. WOW could that be wild if/when he finally cuts loose! I don't think that anyone will be left out of the line up. They all have their fans.

ahhah

I enjoyed Ashton's honeymoon movie-but I still think he is too young for this show. However, apparently beneath all of his layers of foppish clothes is a beautiful body, so since its Malibu, I think he should arrive on the show via surf board in one of those tight wet surfsuits. Men has never filmed before in real outdoors light, probably because their actors liver spots would show in the daylight :-)

HM

@Spring_in_Michigan "Part of the fun for me is that we don't know what the outcome will be. I was just delighted to see WB/Lorre sticking to their guns this whole time. It seemed evident to me that they were the ones who were glad to be free. I was hoping that they would stay that way and they have. Now they have the freedom to try something new. I mean, its only TV folks. Why not be - oh, I don't know - creative?

I am not invested in the outcome, yet somehow I feel more energized myself. Yes, press releases tend to be positive for situations like this one - but this press release felt genuinely happy to me. I certainly hope so.

***********************************************************

Ditto to everything you said. The joy and optimism evident in the news release is contagious. The day actually felt brighter after I read Mr. Lorre's effusive words about the young Mr. Kutcher and the upcoming direction of the show!

And a big "HELL, YEAH!" to your suggestion of using this opportunity to use more creativity than we might have seen in the storylines from the past year or two. I'm almost giggly with anticipation :-)

Autumn_in_Michigan

@HM

Yes, it does seem contagious, doesn't it? Seems that there will be a lot of happy popcorn popping going on this fall in households everywhere. I don't normally pay much attention to TV schedules but I will be this season.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Fabio

Two and a half men will never be the same thing.We want Charlie's

Green Fairy

Well the make-up and wig / hairdresser's on TAHM will be breathing a sigh of relief - at least young Mr Kutcher appears to still have most of his own teeth!