« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

mike

Randy you will be missed by all you fans you have went to a batter place you will be missed .....

GARY

BIG FAN ,GOING TO MISS RIP RANDY SAVAGE I remember watching him wrestle when I was a kid! He will be missed.

madeleine

Randy you were the MAN, my heartfult sympathy for Lynne, he will be missed, Randy R>I>P>

Nvsion2007

rest in peace Macho Man , in Heaven now .

Tanya

RIP Macho man

dominic

you will be missed by all the wwe universe R.I.P .mr savage

Bob Smyth

It's such a tragedy. What do you do when in car accident. I found this article helpful http://expertbeacon.com/how-survive-car-accident

slimjim

snap into a tree trunk

OHH YEEAAHH!

WildAngel1

I'M SOOO SORRY 2 HEAR ABOUT U MACHO MAN...ESPECIALLY FOR U'R NEW WIFE ALSO...THERE WILL B ALOT OF MISSIN U...BUT NOW U R HER ANGEL LOOKIN OUT FOR HER...R.I.P. 1 OF THE GREATEST!!!

gee

Wow I am 43 i grew up with these guys, Jimmy supafly snooka, and the hulkster......RIP

Monica Bryant

Im a big fan of wrestling, I have meet Andre the giant,Vonericks, o rtons,jake the snake,scott casey,rickey rameo,hacksaw duggon,ect. But im going to miss him saying ooooooooooh,yeeeeeeeeeah,he was best known for that.he is an awesome man and he will be missed.So Mrs.Lynn macho savage my prayers and condulances go out to you and yalls family.He will go down very well missed Thank you Randy Machoman, wrestling fan always Monica Bryant

marz

shame what a loss, i will be missing you macho man rest in peace.

Austin Wilson

you were one of my best wrestlers R.I.P Macho Man

Chase

To bad, my man! yet he did his thing on earth here, and so he'll do more as he goes. A big missing in the hearts that follow...A real slam on the canvass---but he comes out #1 winner

mark

rip macho man you was one of the greatest sad to see you gone

Previous 15 Comments | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments