« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Helen

So sorry about Macho Mans untimely death. He will be missed.

Valbjork

MAN !! This is so sad !! Snap into a Slim Jim !! Oh, he had one of the best characters in pro wrestling. Our whole family was really into wrestling in the 80's. I was so wondering where he was. At least he found a new woman and was having a good time in life, I think. So horrible to have your heart go out on U and go off the road and crash. I just took my BP pill. 2 x a day, everyday, no forgetting. At least he did not hurt anyone else and his wife was also physically unhurt, but it will leave a big hole in her mental heart. Even if he had hurt someone else, it would not have been his fault. I mean if your ticker stops, what can U do? It was his time. I pray for him and his family. I hope that he did have some good insurance to help out his wife and if he had kids. Remember guys, and gals, U hit UR 50's time to get life insurance of some amount, more the better. To take care of UR family if you happen to check out early. Valbjork

Matt Saunders

I was a wrestling fan of the 80's and early 90's,Randy Savage one of my all time favorites,RIP

Rey

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAh,,,,,, you will be missed

armagedon

se fue una de las grandes inspiraciones de la lucha libre mundial siempre te recordaremos y en las alturas da tu grito q aca lo escucharemos oooooo yyeaahhhhhhh.descansa en paz randy

Tee Nolley

grew up with the OOOoo Yeeeah man/sorry to hear that my condolinces to his family

tyreese

im so sorry for this tragic loss it seems pretty hurtful to me its a sad thing to happen to a very important wwf hall of famer R.I.P macho man randy savage

kaluan

Undertaker is gonna buri him ?

romario

CONDOLEANCES YM SORY

Chrystal

Sorry about Macho Man Randy Savage. I loved watching him Wrestle.He will be missed and loved by everyone who watched him and who knew him.
REST IN PEACE MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE
WE LOVE AND MISS YOU.

rochle richard

you will be missed macho man rip

sandy

I too watched Randy...he is awsome...will not forget RIP

evan

hi is agrait man riley

mtboddie

I ain't gonna lie Back then, the whole world was in love with Randy,Hulk, the 4 horsemen, the Heart bros., Andre the giant, young Sting, Ooooooooh Yeahhhhh!!! this news is a WWF heart breaker 4 sure... there was no internet to speak of just tv the movie theaters arena concerts and live WWF action! Rest in peace Randy we who were 12-17 back then will always love the '80's Superstars of the WWF!

IGWE

Macho man was a wrestling icon, he will be greatly missed by his fans. May his gentle soul rest in peace.

Previous 15 Comments | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments