TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Dr. Drew -- Conaway Did NOT Die From an Overdose

5/27/2011 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Despite widespread reports, "Grease" star Jeff Conaway did NOT die from a drug overdose -- but rather his body gave out after long-term prescription drug abuse ... this according to Dr. Drew.

0527_dr_drew_jeff_conaway_tmz_ex

Drew -- who treated Conaway on "Celebrity Rehab" -- tells us there is no evidence showing Jeff died from an overdose ... saying, "This was aspiration with overwhelming pneumonia and sepsis."

Drew tells us Jeff's condition was inevitable because the actor had been a serious pill popper for years and the constant substance abuse wore down his body.

Drew explains, "Jeff is another pharmaceutical death from the overutilization of prescription drugs. Please continue to pray for friends and family. They appreciate your support.”

241 COMMENTS

No Avatar
61.

Helen    

Jesus TMZ.. have a little respect and post a more decent picture. You're horrible. HORRIBLE.

1161 days ago
62.

mrspatrickcampbell    

Was Jeff a homosexual?

1161 days ago
63.

Jackie    

I wonder how DR. DREW sleeps each time one of his patient dies.

1161 days ago
64.

sharon    

RIP You will be mist god have just got himself an Angel xxxxxx love always xxxxx :(

1161 days ago
65.

Craig Swinson    

That's like saying people don't die of AIDS they only die of the complications of AIDS

1161 days ago
66.

dimes    

Semantics. Why is Drew making such a big deal about making a distinction between what may be a single overdose and the years of drug abuse that preceded it?

Fast or slow, this is your brain on drugs. Period.

1161 days ago
67.

the Seeker    

Jackie 7 minutes ago

I wonder how DR. DREW sleeps each time one of his patient dies.
--------------------------
just fine after 3 ambien

1161 days ago
68.

Dr.Dave    

Maybe Dr. Drew needs to look in the mirror and acknowledge that public rehabilitation from alcoholism and drug addiction are a terrible idea and may contribute to someone's downfall. Recovery should only be done in private. Public airing of someone's recovery is a huge mistake.

1161 days ago
69.

jimmy d    

Dr.drew looks like roger ebert in that pic with part of his jaw missing

1161 days ago
70.

jpierce26    

It is still an overdose. His body was not able to handle the dose he gave himself...therefore...overdose.

1161 days ago
71.

Make it stop    

RIP Jeff! It appears that Dr Drew does more harm than good which is just sad all in itself. Hope Jeff's girlfriend now sees the harm in drugs and gets herself help....but not from Drew.

1161 days ago
72.

Laurie    

I am sorry he has died, but he chose his own path. Everybody bashes Dr Drew, but he offered, over and over again, the help Jeff needed to get off the prescription drugs. He even went to his house several times. You can only help people, who refuse help, so much. Again, I am sorry for his family and my prayers go out to them. I do hope he finds peace and is now pain free.

1161 days ago
73.

If sense were common everyone would have it.    

Happens that way more often than not. They can be clean for years, but the damage has been done, & all it needs is a trigger of something seemingly innocuous.

I'm glad that either way he finally found the peace he couldn't find in life.

1161 days ago
74.

TorontoWoman    

Somebody answer this, please. Why is Dr. Drew being blamed by so many of you? As a recovering addict, I KNOW that only about 10% of users get "clean", even WITH rehab. Many of the other 90% die. You guys are acting like Dr. Drew's success rate is lower than average. It isn't.

1161 days ago
75.

Loretta    

I'm sorry for his family, friends, and all who loved him. Dr. Drew's comment is VERY important! While overdoses are notorious and get a lot of exposure, the long term use of prescription drugs and street drugs will take your life. Our bodies are not designed for this substance, and organs fail because of it. Taking a little, over a long period of time, will kill you. I hope this message is clear. Unfortunately, I lost my only son to drug abuse, and I know from where I speak.

1161 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web