Dr. Drew -- Conaway Did NOT Die From an Overdose

5/27/2011 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Despite widespread reports, "Grease" star Jeff Conaway did NOT die from a drug overdose -- but rather his body gave out after long-term prescription drug abuse ... this according to Dr. Drew.

0527_dr_drew_jeff_conaway_tmz_ex

Drew -- who treated Conaway on "Celebrity Rehab" -- tells us there is no evidence showing Jeff died from an overdose ... saying, "This was aspiration with overwhelming pneumonia and sepsis."

Drew tells us Jeff's condition was inevitable because the actor had been a serious pill popper for years and the constant substance abuse wore down his body.

Drew explains, "Jeff is another pharmaceutical death from the overutilization of prescription drugs. Please continue to pray for friends and family. They appreciate your support.”

WhatsUpOCTV

I am so sad to hear about Jeff. I just interviewed him on April 29th and he sang Greased Lightning and talked about a movie he was scheduled to start shooting in June that would win him an Academy Award.
RIP Jeff
Your friend
Scott Stewart
What's Up Orange County

Dennis Borghesi

Conaway was a drug addict. When your brain has that much abuse from narcotics it will always crave that drug. i have seen many people go on Methadone and live a some what stable life.Jeff Conaway was not just on pain killers he was on very strong pain killers for years.A Counler ounce told me that when your Brain takes that much abuse from Narcotics It,s very hard to reverce that afecct.

Jodi

I don't know why people are blaming Dr. Drew...Jeff was a hot mess before he went on CR and I'm sure he didn't follow the advice he was given on how to stay off of drugs when he left.

When he took that fall he probably couldn't stand the pain and went back on pain meds, if he was ever off of them, to ease the pain.

I believe what Dr. Drew said. His body just broke down from damn near being on drugs for so long, the fall didn't help either and I'm sure he didn't eat properly.

All his pain is gone now and my heart and prayers go out to his family and Vikki.

vixis

It's ashame what drugs do to people, unfortunately, some Hollywood types thrives on it.

ConoscenzaPower

Io rappresento la vostra attenzione il film:
La strategia di lunga durata di superamento dell'islam coranico dagli padroni del progetto Bibbia

jimbo

Idiots. Why does Dr. Drew look bad? He tried to help the guy...Conway was in severe addiction mode for many many years. You think every time someone goes into rehab it works? One can only do so much.

Who Farted

writenow 4 hours ago
To Dr. Drew: You seem very dangerous. Please go away. You may need a 12 step program to overcome your constant need for publicity but it could be you are in complete denial.

Exactly !

thestones

You people slamin Dr. Drew? Do you even read the articles/interviews months prior to his death? Or did you just jump on the "slam" wagon? I bet over half of ya weren't even born when he was acting? Drug addict that burnt out...literally.

But to me the best news of all is that it's ONLY a little over 3 months now and Charlie Sheen is unemployed, out of money, out of a home, replaced on MEN and already forgotten...I LOVE IT.

Jo

Why pretty it up and call it a "pharmaceutical death"? Say it like you mean it...he was a drug addict with a death wish. Last night I saw Dr. Drew commenting on the state of Arnie's marriage (BTW, he said he doesn't think they should get divorced because he has seen marriages like this end up to be good marriages) and today he's commenting about this case. Is there anything he's not on an expert on? His media whore escapades are in the same league as Gloria Alred. Just one time I'd like to see him say, "that's not my area of expertise so it wouldn't be prudent for me to comment."

Netwoman

This is so sad. All of it. Mr.Conway was a fine actor. My sincere sympathy to his loved ones.
The last decade of precription drug production, for pain, has ruined more lives than it has helped. All walks of life. The super-addiction doesn't descriminate. Something has to stop this scourge. The peddlars of these legal pills should be dealt with severely.

makeitstop

Celeb Rehab exploited him and his tortured life. He must have really needed the money. We would have been better off not knowing about his addictions and just remembering him for his acting ability.

lisa

the stones - people are bashing Dr. Drew because he's taking drug addicts and puting them on a reality tv show, making them famous and paying them a salary. What incentive do they have to stop doing drugs?
Excellent point about Charlie Sheen though.

TiminPhx

Dr. Drew can't have it both ways. He wants to exploit these people for one of his TV shows, but then wants to distant himself from them when something like this happens.

Conway was the own agent of his death, but Drew washing his hands of it, trying to act as if he wasn't a chapter in this sad tale is at the least disingenious.

The Love Sponge

Hay guys don't be so hard on Dr Drew. I use to be alcoholic and addicted to prescription amphetamines. I was so determined to make it work and sobriety worked for me. I just can't give up being a flaming queen and that's a long road ahead of me.

familydocny

Is there anyone that Dr Drew has contact with that he won't tweet personal medical information?