Musician Gil Scott-Heron Dies

5/28/2011 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gil Scott-Heron, who wrote the poem and song "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised," died in New York City yesterday. He was 62.

9528_Gil_Scott_Heron_BN
According to reports, Scott-Heron became sick after returning from a trip to Europe.

Scott-Heron's work paved the way for modern hip-hop, and several rappers -- including Public Enemy front man Chuck D and Eminem -- expressed their condolences via Twitter (link, link).

Just last year he released his first new album in 16 years, "I'm New Here."

Chai

First!! R.I.P. Gil! You were a major influence on today's music and on spoken word poetry. Too bad most young people are clueless as to who you were and what you contributed to the arts.

Mike

R.I.P Gill Scott-Heron. You were an inspiration to many.

Canadasux

Who? Is he the "new" homeless guy with another golden voice.

By the way, I'm also clueless about this guy. But, I'm 54-years-old!

superchicken

He looks about 86.

crema

He was a life-long heroin addict and had aids

B

I wouldn't even know who he was if Richard Pryor hadn't taken over Saturday Night Live way back when and declared this would be his musical guest, but I'm glad he did. Gill Scott-Heron was a gifted man, I'm sad to see him go. I always liked "Johannesburg".

crema

saw him perform with spoken word/rapper Common in NYC's Central Park last summer ...glad I had the chance to experience it.

Chef Jack Tripper

This should be required listening in schools and that rap crap should be banned, its for morons.

dd

@B I loved Johannesburg too, the album is one of the greatest ever made you can actually listen to both sides. RIP GIL!

dd

@crema Gil was NOT a lifelong heroin addict and he did NOT have aids...He became addicted to cocaine which a lot of people did during that time, especially entertainers, he served three years in prison because of the drug, got clean and started touring and put out a new album.

His Prince Michael

My sincere condolences, and prayers, for the family, friends,
loved-ones, and colleagues of the bold and brilliant Mr. Gil Scott-Heron.

May The True and Living YAHWEH, bless his soul.

birdie

I always enjoyed watching him work, what a talent. I am very glad I had the chance to see him a few times in Philadelphia. RIP my brother.

hello cleveland

RIP GS-H.
P.S. To Canadasux: You are just CLUELESS. Period! Get your head out of the 'Top 40 box' and listen to some real music.
P.S.S. I am also 54.

Carl

Gotta love people like Canadasux. Most people are too insecure to proclaim that they are a moron who are unaware of people that haven't been on top 40 radio in the past 5 years. But this guy comes here, makes a fool of himself, and lets the world know how little he knows. Good going!

Bill

Never heard of him..... did he die of green teeth?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments