Jay-Z -- 99 Problems And My Chef Ain't One

6/3/2011 3:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jay-Z's personal chef just got one hell of a promotion -- because TMZ has learned the rapper handpicked the guy to take over the kitchen at his revamped 40/40 Club in NYC.

0602_jay_z_TMZ_EXC
Sources connected to Jay tell us ... Jigga has been VERY hands-on in the $10 million renovation of the first 40/40 Club in Manhattan -- and felt the only way to guarantee the food would be up to his standards was to put personal chef, Mike Shand, in charge of the menu.

Shand -- who's been working for Jay for years -- was appointed Executive Chef of the club and has already packed the menu full of Jay's personal faves ... including a Baja-style catfish.

Jay's rep tells TMZ, "[Jay] knew that Mike would be able to improve upon the current menu in ways that had the Jay-Z seal of approval because many are dishes that he eats himself on a daily basis."

0602_4040_club_before_after_footer

Charles

first u fing tmz whores. su ck lit

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

I'm available for samples!

Truth

WHAT A MORON. JUST CUZ THIS HOOD RAT LIKES TO EAT THE SAME SHIET EVERYDAY DOESNT MEAN THE PATRONS LIKE THE SAME CRAP TOO. THIS SI WHERE BUSINESSES FAIL. ALWAYS PUT THEIR PERSONAL BIAS INTO CRAP INSTEAD OF DOING REAL MARKET RESEARCH. LAZY AND UNINFORMED, POINT BLANK.

Canon

Is this a club for black people? Can someone point me to some social literature about why cool clubs with mainly white people as patrons open in the city. After a few years they are patronized mostly by black people with very few white people. Seems to be what happened to South Beach.

Bobo Frog

Why does TMZ refer to Jay Z as Jigga in the story?

Peter

I have to agree with Truth. Just because he likes something does not mean we will. Bad call on a supposed businessman. And for 10 million dollars, I'm not seeing where all the money went in way of improvements. Are we talking sprinklers and behind the scene stuff?!? There isn't that much difference between the before and after pics. Just another rapper who thinks he's all that.

Mikey

No doubt what ever you order the waiter will ask you if you want a side of watermelon with that.

Mikey

Canon about an hour ago

---------------------------------------------------------------------
South Beach is now the vacation hot spot for black people world wide. Good for them.

Mikey

doug pound 60 minutes ago

catfish is for phesants

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The pheasant bird is a big consumer of catfish? I did not know that.

Canon

Cool, I like black people!

Canon

Well, most I've met anyway.

Mikey

Canon 6 minutes ago

Cool, I like black people!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Me too! I like to watch them do crazy things!

Mikey

Today's South Beach:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Luther Campbell says he no longer makes his way to South Beach during that weekend because it’s become too rowdy. “Just walk the streets, get drunk, be rowdy, go to jail,” Campbell told CBS4’s Jim DeFede in describing what the event has become. “Me personally I wouldn’t even go over there. I haven’t been there probably in the last two or three years. “ “There’s looting. I took pictures of dozens of cars windows that have been bashed in. There have been sexual acts in the street. I’ve seen women get groped and they just keep walking; there is nothing they can do.

Katrina carrero

I was just at 40/40 last month. It's beautiful but the food is horrible!

stay positive