Rihanna -- I'm a Rockstar, NOT A PARENT!!!

6/2/2011 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Rihanna is lashing back at the people criticizing her violent new music video for "Man Down" -- scoffing at the notion she's a role model ... saying, "What's up with everybody wantin me to be a parent?"

0602_rihanna_BN_Getty_01

RiRi went to her Twitter page today after the Parents Television Council condemned the "Man Down" video for depicting a premeditated murder and implying killing someone is an acceptable form of revenge.

Rihanna tweeted, "I'm a 23 year old rockstar with NO KIDS! What's up with everybody wantin me to be a parent? I'm just a girl, I can only be your/our voice!"

She continued, "We have the freedom to make art, LET US! Its your job to make sure they dont turn out like US."

"U can't hide your kids from society, or they'll never learn how to adapt! This is the REAL WORLD."

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

Jenna

You know what pisses me off about this whole "Man Down" controversy? The ONLY reason she's getting so much **** about this video is because she's a WOMAN! Men have been making violent music videos for years, but no one ever had a problem with it; but the moment that a woman makes a video where she kills a man out of revenge, it's the worst thing in the world? Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to remind of u of Justin Timberlake's music video "What goes around...comes around", where Scarlett Johansson cheats on him, and he:1. beats up the man she's cheating on him with, 2. throws her against the wall by her neck and 3. chases her in his car....then her car crashes, flips and burns, resulting in her death, followed by the refrain in the song, "what goes around comes back around". The fact that in his little brain he thinks that death is karma for cheating on someone is sick, twisted and violent in itself. Yet of course NO ONE said anything about this video??? And what about all the other videos where men have shot, beat up or killed someone? So all of u who thinks there's something wrong with Rihanna's video,GET A GRIP!!! And p.s, to all of u ppl who are asking why Rihanna wont go away? How about this? She'll NEVER go away because idiots like you are always talking about her and making everything she does a big deal!

Bossmj

@Jenna

Is there something wrong with you? A lobotomy we mightn't know about?

Awfully sure of ourselves aren't we?
"she's getting so much **** about this video is because she's a WOMAN! Men have been making violent music videos for years, but no one ever had a problem with it; but the moment that a woman makes a video where she kills a man out of revenge, it's the worst thing in the world?

I imagine any generic GED Education Psych class in any out house college particularly the ones advertised on day time telly covers much of your argument to some extent.

Your sycophantic [servile self-seeker who who brings all kinds of charges and proves none... ]reminds we've still got some way to go to shed the 'no child left behind' phenomena goodness gracious!

The world is not perfect. Today, we respond to this bovine. In yester year, we responded to what was then. We can not re-engineer what's been but going forward, we can make course corrections no thanks to nay sayers like you, palin etc.

Sheeeeeeeshh. If you haven't reproduced yet, please don't. Think of the !diot off spring. School shall be expensive [having to go to special school] Read a book. Do something just step away from your friend's pc and turn the telly off!

Seeing a Dr. about your misandry? If not, i'll pay. Also, read up on Psychotherapist Kathleen Goodfriend and how she nearly destroyed a family with her brand of self-righteous hatred towards men. Yes. You, by virtue of your bile provide in clear relief evidence you have 'issues'.

How a discussion goes from an observation of her mistep to a general chastisement of men, therein we have a Casey Anthony in the making.

Shay

Well said Christine McCarthy...period.

Chauntria

I agree with Rihanna, I feel like she is an artist and she has the right to make whatever kind of music she wants. You cannot expect her to censor herself because there are kids who decide to look up to her. It's the "parents'" job to watch what their kids are watching. There are all kinds of things out there that children should not see or be exposed to. I mean you can't protect your child from everything, and I don't you need to protect them from EVERYTHING anyway. It's a part of growing up.

Jeanine

I don't think this video is appropriate for anyone, a child or not. Any person that is in the spot light is a role model whether they want to be or not. This is the life they chose and they have to live with that responsibility. As a adult I found this video disturbing.

alexis

LOL YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZYYYY!! I BET HALF OF YOU THATS TALKING ABOUT HOW DUMB SHE IS AND UNTALENTED SHE IS WAS JUST SINGING AND DANCING TO ONE OF HER SONGZ!! CUT IT OUT!! I DONT CARE WHAT NONE OF YOU HIPOCRITS SAYY RIHANNA ROCKS!! SPEND MORE TIME TEACHING YOUR KIDS RIGHT FROM WRONG AND STOP SITTING THEM INFRONT OF THE TV ALL DAMN DAY!! LEAD BY EXAMPLE AND STOP EXPECTING OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU!! WEIRDOOOOZ!!

Ja'Nelle

I love the video and Rhianna is an entertainer. Society gave her the title of "role model" so it becomes she cant make mistakes or be flawed and to me thats just not realistic. We are all human. But to say she needs to answer for hr betrayal in her video is ridiculous and absurd. Read a book that goes for parents and their children. None of these entertainers are actual role models you as a human being making the right decisions when you can thats a role model, when you know you're not always right but you try to do you best and you can accept flaws within yourself and others. Entertainers are people like you and me. Be real. You have a role model His name is Jesus!!! Wake up people...its music and what her vision for it is is what she says it is...you dont like it then dont listen nor watch her music videos. Simple...but to pass judgement and criticize is ignorant.

Ja'Nelle

sadeskye

I agree 100% with Rhianna. If any of you fellow writers watch the video and also listen to the lyric you would clearly get the meaning that she was trying to set. The lyric CLEARLY are written in a way that is not promoting violence or that it ok to take revenge. The song starts out by saying "I didn't mean to end his life, I know it wasn't right" which does not promote killing. Continuing with "'Cause I didn't mean to hurt him, Could've been somebody's son" also not promoting violence.

I believe parents are taking this way too serious. Parents shouldn't say that singers are role models because if you believe it or not, its ART and singing is a creative expression. What parents should be worrying about is if they (the parents) are a good role model for their children because if you are; your child will create their own expression and not follow that crowd. Parents should be their child role model and they should know what to follow and what not to follow. That is if you rise them right and not rise them upon others.

Nicole

Hey parents, if you're worried about what your kids watch than change the channel. If they are not old enough o see nipples, then they should be watching the Disney channel, not a 23 yr old sexy singer. It is not their job to set examples for your children. It is your job. Stop depending on others to raise your kids. Anyone over 18 yrs old in Hollywood is NOT a role model. That is an image conjured up by the publicists of these stars.

imbored

how can she take herself ******* seriously, a "rockstar"???? all i gotta say is bull**** man...

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18