Jack Kevorkian Dies

6/3/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, who became known as Dr. Death for his work performing assisted suicides for terminally ill patients, died early Friday morning. He was 83.

0603_jack_kevorkian_getty
According to his lawyer, Kevorkian passed away at Beaumont Hospital in Michigan, where he had been hospitalized for the past two weeks because of kidney and heart problems.

Kevorkian was believed to have assisted in 130 suicides and was convicted of second-degree murder in 1999. He was sentenced to 10-25 years in prison, but was released in 2007.

Al Pacino portrayed Kevorkian in an HBO movie last year, "You Don't Know Jack." Pacino won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the role.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

this guy is a hero

MsMaribel

Ironic . . .

janalal4

Yep, a hero. RIP Jack.

marciagg

Rest in peace Jack.....I only wish my dear father was given the right to die when he had to suffer through 8 miserable years of alzheimers, parkinsons and emphysema.....animals/pets get treated more humane then humans...give my Dad a hug when you get there...

janalal4

Interestingly we can execute people using the death penalty but we can't give people the 'humane' exit they're requesting. Now that is ironic.

She's baaaack

You had a good idea Jack, you just went about seeing it to fruition like the crazy zealot you were. At least you got there yourself. RIP.

Robert

Rest in peace Jack.

This guy was my go to guy. No I've got to change my speeddial.

DirtySouth

Wonder how that meeting between God and him is going?

Kathy

Rest in peace. Too bad Michigan's conservative politics punished this man. He helped people in need. He was a great man. Greater than those that persecuted him.

Observer

Jack... You stood up for what you believed in,

You helped people do what they believed in...

I believe everyone has the RIGHT to do as they will to they're own bodies.

R.I.P.

Quinn

Rest In Peace, Jack.

Katie

My mom's a nurse and works with the elderly terminaly ill and sees the suffering and pain patients go through especially when families are unrealistic and want everything done. Our bodies are not made to live forever and what's wrong with giving someone medication to help them die with dignity and without pain. We do it for our pets.

cindy

what is wrong with you people! He still took people's lives,regardless! Only God has a right to do that!

gd45

I hate the term "assisted suicide"

I understand that's pretty much exactly what it is, but the term suicide has such a negative outlook in society that it seems to be the only word people catch and they immediatly have a problem with it.

I for one, am all for it and would be one to use it if I end up being terminally ill when i'm an elderly person.

R.I.P. Jack, you were brave enough to actually care for people and do what they wanted/needed.

AP

RIP, He was a godsend to terminally ill patients. He had the right idea. There is a fine line between plain suicide and when there will be no quality of life. If I was in a terminal situation I would want a choice.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments