Gay Cop

Fights for Right

to March in Uniform

6/7/2011 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A gay correctional officer is outraged that his department thinks marching in uniform in the West Hollywood gay pride parade is a "discredit" to the department ... and he's taking legal action to fight for his rights.

0607_gloria_andrew_BN_TMZ_06

Andrew Johnson works as a correctional officer for the California Institution for Women in Chino, CA.  He's also a member of the Gay Peace Officers Association.  Johnson asked his superiors at the Department of Corrections for permission to march in uniform on Sunday, but was told he couldn't do it because of a law that prohibits officers from marching in uniform if it would bring "discredit" to the department.

Johnson's lawyer, Gloria Allred, said at a news conference that other departments -- including the LAPD, L.A. County Sheriff's Department and the CHP -- allow officers to march in uniform in the parade.

Allred says the Department of Corrections allows officers to march in uniform in other parades, including the Christmas parade and the Carrot Festival.

Allred says she's filed a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Allred wouldn't let Johnson speak, because of fear of retaliation.

She wants the warden to reverse his position so Johnson can march.

Albert D'Orazio

Lonnie:

I don't need anyone to prove to myself that I was born gay, I realized it when I had my first sexual stirrings at age 7. So I AM living proof that some people are born gay. Why don't you prove that you heteros were born hetero? Because you don't need proof. God created all of us in His image, not how we perceive it ourselves. As for your brother (I'm sorry he's passed away) if he chose that then that was his prerogative, but don't draw the conclusion that all of us chose to be gay, because we didn't. Im sure of course some people chose to be gay but most of us don't choose what gender we are attracted to.

Second of all, bigotry, fear, hatred, homophobia and discrimination is not something you are born with, it's something taught. You are making a dangerous assertion. Murderers will soon use that defense if you go preaching that around.

Third of all, you people should appreciate the fact that some of are gay so that the world won't be overpopulated. We have no problem with procreation, take a look at the world population.

Fourth of all, I despise when you turn your bigotry around on us. Get over yourself.

Jo

Hey Glo, how upset are you that one of Weiner's Women has asked you to represent them yet??

Glory Bee

No matter his race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other factor, the man should NEVER march in ANY kind of parade in uniform. The uniform is his job. The march is his personal statement. Don't mix them. Not unless you want police who are anti-gay marching in a parade against gays wearing their uniforms too. Just shouldn't ever be done. The uniform speaks for the organization, not you personally.

tetrakiss

I just think there's this unfortunate lingering schema of gays being among the so-called "unreputable" citizens. Marching in uniform gives people a greater sense of the true diversity of identities gays have and the vital roles they play in society as contributing members. It will, in essence, break a stereotype.

LonnieB

Albert,

Chill out. My post was a discussion, not an accusation. I put forth an arguement that I was reminded of when you said you were born gay.
Perhaps I could have worded it differently, but for cryin' out loud, why get so defensive? YOU brought it up!
I was merely offering an alternative point of view, hoping to stimulate discussion aimed at increasing tolerance. You want "heteros" to understand your dilemma, yet you rail against open discussion.
The Basal Ganglia comment was meant to offer a beginning of understanding of irrational hate and fear (like assuming I was attacking you).
But you seem intolerant of that, so...nevermind.
I personally believe that you are the way God made you...period.
How you play the cards you are dealt is up to you. You (the rhetorical you) can accept it and deal with it, or you can feel sorry for yourself and balme others (again...the rhetorical "you"..get it?)
Just as there is homophobia, there is heterophobia.
Try being more open to another's point of view if you expect them to be open to yours.

Surfer Gal

Seeing how they fire policewomen if they appear nude in men's magazines I am thinking if this would go to trial the police bosses would win.

baby

he should be fired on a moral conduct code, sodomy is ILLEGAL!!!!!

TMP

Like most professions which require the wearing of a uniform, they are not allowed to wear the uniform unless they are on duty. He is not on duty...

They didn't say he couldn't march, or be gay or be proud of who he is...

Being a proud gay man is just fine.. if you really want to be part of the parade, then it shouldn't matter to this man WHAT HE WEARS, as long as he's allowed to be part of the parade, which he is.

He's making a big deal out of nothing, and THIS stunt is going to cause him way more issues with his job than simply wearing something else to the parade.

james cole

Stan about an hour ago
You know there is lots of people that seem to be ignorant and they all seem to be on this board. If you don't like gay people you can "YELL IT" and nobody cares. If you say "I hate Black People" then people react. Well hate i*****e.

-------------------
@Stan first of all, gays should not be discrimanated against, they should be loved like any other human being.

Second of all, to compare gays to blacks is not the same thing. Blacks, just like asians and mexicans and whites, etc., cannot choose their race. Some people believe (including some gays) that homosexuality is a sexual choice, and not born that way .

I know you're going to tell me you felt this way since you were a child, therefore you were born this way, and i'm telling you, we are in a sinful world and lustful feelings happen at a young age, and the same-sex is just what a gay person prefers. It is just what you are attracted to nothing more nothing less- This is my opinion.

mollymat

If he isn't working it is a discredit and very unprofessional. If he is working then fine. The uniform goes with the job, not the sexual orientation

noella

Why isn't there a straight persons parade. There are so few of us nowadays, I'm being discriminated agaist.

Gays are abnormal and immoral. Nothing about what they do should be celebrated.

Albert D'Orazio

Lonnie:

Sorry, I have no patience for ignorant closed-minded bigots who are accusing me of not being born gay. I had enough mister nice guy in me and it's time for reality. You people need to get with the 21st century and leave us gay folks alone.

Myself

I can't believe 42% said "no". The bigotry and hatred in this world makes it embarrassing to be a human. You hateful imbeciles will get what you deserve ;)

moe l.

Why do you always see Allred's wrinkled old face everytime a bogus issue is raised?????

Vagitarian