Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

Janie

The death of a fantastic and wondrous talent. The entire world will mourn.

Scrum

Damn! He was one of a kind. R.I.P. Big Man.

Chuck

Possibly the greatest sax player who ever lived. The day the music died, again.

deborah mcdermott

this is a shock i was so hoping clemons would pull through. this man was legend and sax playing no one can compare. he will be missed. so sad that all the legends are leaving us. clarence clemons rest in peace.

Kay

Clarence and the rest of the gang put on the best rock show ever.. and I mean EVER. His spirit will live on in his music but a live show will never be the same. RIP Big Man and thanks for being a part of some of the most amazing times of my life.

Karmagal

How very very sad. The world has lost a huge talent and an awesome human being. RIP.

Diane

Oh! Man! Clarence, you were the heart and soul of E Street. The music you played defined my generaton and I just do not want you to go! You have left this world a much better place. Sympathies to your family and friends. This is just too sad. Peace & Love

benice

awwww...so sad. He was a great entertainer - always remember that big beaming smile...RIP.

PatinNJ

Um, wasn't he a woman beater? How does that make him a great man?

Sincerity

May Clarence Clemons rest in peace!!! The lifestyle of a professional musician isn't an easy one. My sincere condolences go out to his loved ones. PEACE!!!

namers

Having seen Bruce in the front-row center AND Clarence and The Red Bank Rockers, I can tell you: Today, the Music Died.

I am deeply saddend for this huge loss for Bruce, The East Street Band and all his family, friends and fans.

To the BEST sax man in the world: R.I.P.

bring back recent posts

...very sad news, however, lets be grateful for him and his family, he didn't have to live out the rest of his life in a wheelchair, unable to speak, have to be spoonfed puree mush and have regular diaper changes and be hoisted on a crane in and out of a tub..like sooooooooooooooo many others!!!!!!....just saying..

Rogue Warrior

RIP!!! One of my family members suffered one this year and we were lucky this wasn't the end result!

Jj

I wonder if Lady Gaga will dedicate one of her songs (that Clemons worked on) to him in any upcoming performances. Or perhaps in some re-release/another edition of her album.

Alex

What an age to go.. 69 baby!