Roger Ebert: 'I Was Probably Too Quick to Tweet'

6/21/2011 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Roger Ebert says he "was probably too quick to tweet" about the car crash that killed "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn yesterday ... explaining that his post was "not intended as cruel."

0621_ebert_bam_BN_01

Ebert just blogged about the situation on his website -- saying, "To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn's family and friends, and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one."

Ebert continues, "I also regret that my tweet about the event was considered cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true."

Ebert explains that he wrote the tweet based on preliminary reports and admits, "I have no way of knowing if Ryan Dunn was drunk at the time of his death."

"I don't know what happened in this case, and I was probably too quick to tweet. That was unseemly."

0621_ebert_tweet_yesterday

Ebert, however, staunchly defends the message in his tweet -- that people should NOT drink and drive -- saying, "I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 110 mph, as some estimated -- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing."

"That is especially true if the driver has had three shots and three beers. Two people were killed. What if the car had crashed into another car?"

Disabled Vet

If it were just some average joe and not a "celebrity", most of you would be agreeing with Mr. Ebert and call a spade a spade. Let's be real folks. It's fairly obvious that a car driven normally by someone following the speed limit but suddenly loses control doesn't leap over a guard rail (which by the way was untouched) and fly through the air and multiple trees and then burst into flames. That accident is reminiscent of something you would see on the autobahn. Now I'm no big fan of Roger Ebert, but he is absolutely correct. This is PRECISELY why you don't drink and drive. Not only did he lose his own life but he took someone else's life too and that is unconscionable, irresponsible and just plain idiotic. So drop the hypocrisy and let's remember what should be learned from something like this.

Foxfire

Way to go Roger! I can see that he is a stand up man who takes responsibility for his words. I guarantee you that Bam will make no such apologies for his tweet, but, ya know a jackass is a jackass after all. Roger had a point and he said it.
Some people are saying that everyone should shut their mouths because his family is grieving, and that's a very "nice" sentiment but if no one talked about these kinds of deaths after they happen then how is the world going to learn? Especially young people who like to show off doing dangerous stunts for a LIVING?! He obviously got drunk, and wanted to do a jackass stunt in his car. It went wrong. He killed himself and someone else. BAD RYAN!! Learn from this people. It would be nice if it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN.
I feel for his family and friends, believe me I do. His whole life shouldn't be based on the few minutes it took to end it. I'm sure he was a great friend, brother, son, uncle, whichever. I'm sorry for their loss. That being said, dude, was a jackass to drive drunk and I don't feel bad telling people I think so. And, if you (person who is reading this post) decide to drink and drive one day, then you too can be a jackass.

welcome

too bad there is no video, so it could be in the next jackass movie. maybe bam would feel better then.

TheVolleyballGod

My chin off ..umm I mean my hat off to Ebert for speaking the truth about these drunk meat head attack dog speeders out there who wind up dying or killing somebody innocent in a car crash. A big FU goes out to the Ebert haters out there who are buddies with both guys that died and want to take it out on Ebert.

damian921

Ebert is bitter, wanting a drink as a recovering alcoholic, angry about his deformity, and desperate for attention to boost his living, so no, he's wrong, and a sad human being.

Everyone has a choice of what to say and how to say it- He could have easily expressed condolences and stated that it's sad that drunk driving may be the cause for this loss of young talent- but he didn't, did he? He came off like the description I offered at the beginning of this comment. I pity him.

He should apologize or go the way of Weiner and anyone else showing irresponsibility and insensitivity in their position where they have a public voice.

Since this is TMZ let's ask Harvey, if one of his staff came off like this, would he fire them?

ric

I don't think Roger's tweet was offensive in any way. He simply made a factual comment. Driving drunk was stupid and he and his passenger died as a result. He also endangered other people. If you want to be pissed off at someone, it should be Dunn for being a true Jackass.

Puckett

"As we previously reported, Dunn's friend Bam Margera WENT OFF on Ebert last night -- telling the movie critic to shut his "f**king mouth" about Dunn's crash."

Kind of hard for a guy whose missing part of his jaw to shut his "f**king mouth". Just sayin', Jackass.

Bubbles The Chimp

Nothing annoys me more than people who backtrack on their words, caving to people's whinging.

To hell with Ryan Dunn, He got what he deserved.

Dumbfounded

Quit bashing Roger. His comment was not demeaning. It is sad to see folks here bringing Mr. Ebert's condition into this. That shows immaturity. As for Dunn's friend telling Ebert to shut his "f**king mouth", well need I say more.

Here one has people that want to consider themselves adults acting worse than little children. What a great example they set. Margera is just as bad. The sad part is that idiots like these make money and a decent guy like Ebert gets treated like the bad guy for a truthful statement.

Janine

VANHALEN_ROCKS_ON 17 minutes ago
IT'S SAD THAT A PERSON AT HIS AGE WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT...ON TOP OF THAT LOOK AT HIS OWN CONDITION....
--------------------------

@ VanHalen Why is it sad? He was saying the truth. And what does his condition have to do with this?

It's a shame that someone like you would post an ignorant comment

Bob

Good riddens! Anyone who would drink, then drive at excessive speeds deserves what he gets. He didn't care about his family by doing so, so why should we care about hurting their feelings? He was a true jackass to the end.
Ebert, you're a wimp for not standing up and telling it like it is.

Angela

Actually Ebert was correct. If his moronic friends wouldn't have let him drive he would still be alive and stupid ass Bam wouldn't be so hysterical.

Boats and Ho's

Yes it was tactless Roger, and all the other 'Anonymous' douchebags here who cheered & high-fived your comments with even nastier rhetoric only reveal how black and heartless their souls are...

ALLEGED drinking & driving in this case is wrong, stupid, and illegal; if Dunn is guilty, then he & his passenger paid the ultimate price. You spoke the truth, but you spoke it too soon, and were tasteless in your pun.

But I'm willing to forgive your insensitivity.

Now...don't you have some movies to review?

Bubbles The Chimp

...and right now Bam is doing a couple of lines of cocaine and drinking like a pirate to cure his sorrows. Hope he drives fast.

rager

Ugh, there is too much apologizing today. Stick to your guns Roger. This idiot deserved what happened to him. You cannot escape the consequences of your actions.