Gay Rights Group: Chris Brown's Slur Is 'Unacceptable'

6/22/2011 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Human Rights Campaign is lashing out at Chris Brown for the homophobic remark he made in L.A. yesterday -- telling TMZ, the singer's anti-gay language is "just plain unacceptable."

0622_chris_brown_hrc_ex

A rep for the HRC tells us, "Invoking words meant to demean gay Americans is just plain unacceptable. Chris Brown should know better."

The rep adds, "He irresponsibly neglected to recognize the impact of his words and the unacceptable message that it sends to couple the word gay with negative actions."

As we previously reported, Brown accused several photogs of tipping off parking enforcement to his illegally parked car -- saying, "Y'all n**gas is weak. Did you all call them to try and film me? Y'ALL N**GAS IS GAY!"

So far, no comment from Chris' camp.

tony

When Michael Richards said what he said I was not offended and im black.Some of you are so dumb.You think when al sharpton wobbles his big black ass on stage and says he is outraged by the use of the n word all blacks are feeling the way he feels.Its just a word.Nothing more. If you know you are gay be glad and not so insecure that if I said your'e gay you get upset.You can call me ***** or ****** I know I am a strong black man.You should feel the same way if you are proud of what you are.So if I say gay or ****** you either know those words represent you or they dont.Wake the hell up people and take pride in who you are and dont depend on others to do that for you.

Elly May Clampett

I think cb is gay! I wish he would take his hard earned money,
and get those big ass lips reduced in size! Team Elly May

No comment

I am offended homosexual's hijacked the word GAY. Gay use to mean a happy behavior, and *** was a cigarette. Get over it!

Is it now acceptable for other races to say *****s instead of the N-word?

Rea-Rea

these people are so annoying. they do realize that chris brown saying gay really meant "wack""stupid" ect. these orginizations are so dumb.i cant stand chris brown but he shouldn't have to apologize for the way he used the term "gay"

Stephen Redmod

I forgot to mention in my other post that I am also more concerned about the recent robberies and rapes that have came about here where I live when just last year it was never to be heard of in this little town, it's more then the world changing it's the people in this world getting worse.....someone being called gay has gone on for many many years, quit crying about it now and put your money towards victims who need it

Seriously?!201

I don't think anyone can say the word "ass" these days without someone getting pissed off or offended. I have a lot of gay people in my life..family, friends, and co-workers and I see what some of them go through, but this REALLY?! If this was the worst to be said to them or about them I know the would be more than happy to take it. It really seems like any celeb to use the word "gay" now should just go ahead and call the Gay Rights Group themselves and give a statement.

romero

This is the way we people speak in the HOOD! Who cares! I can see if he was talking to someone who was GAY and he knew the person was GAY, then we can critique. It's getting old with this ****! It's like calling another straight man a ***, who cares. Calling a straight man a *** is the same as calling him a BITCH. No one complains about people using the word BITCH, everyone uses it to describe all WOMAN. Leave HIM and anyone else alone who calls someone GAY, ***** or BITCH. Cover your ears, change the station, don't read it! FREEE SPEEECHHH BITCHES!!!!

Trevis Miho

Look, that gay rights group is gettin' pretty dam annoying these days. I have nothin' against the gay community, but these guys are about 3 incidents away from shedding public tears over indirected sticks and stones. I am not homophobic, I have quite a few gay friends, and camera fools snitchin' to authorities IS some gay sh*t. Period.

Roz

It's time for everyone in this country to take a deep breath and come to its senses.  Words only have power if we - humans - give them power.  "Gay" was never a slur until recently.  So when did someone decide this, and why?  Where are the academics here - either sociologists or linguistics scholars need to weigh in on this debate.  I think everyone is  suddenly taking every single comment someone utters and "interpreting" it way out of context.  At the rate we're going, we can kiss the First Amendment goodbye as practically every descriptive word will soon have a negative connotation to someone or some group, and will suddenly be deemed "offensive" to perhaps politicize that group.

For the record, I'm a minority, and if I got bent out of shape every time someone uttered a naughty Jewish word (to strangers I don't "look" Semitic), then I'd be a human pretzel.

CCC

I've heard people on shows such as King of Queens, Everybody Loves Ramond, South Park, and others say "that's so gay" or "you're so gay", but that seems to be acceptable in the name on comedy. Let someone say it on the street and they become public enemy #1. Makes no sense to me, but then again, I don't use that kind of language.

SSinOC

He's an antigayite. :) I hope he doesn't cave in with an apology on this.

mom

My crossword puzzle just had the word 'gay' in it. Are they gonna get jumped on too? Unless there are perfect 'gay' folks out there, who have NEVER used a slur, I say--DON'T WORRY, BE GAY!! Or merry. Or happy. Or jolly. Or carefree.....

Sarah

LMAO at all of these gay rights advocates!! Im sorry but saying a situation is "gay" is nothing to get your panties in a wad. Its not a hate crime, what happened to Matthew Shepherd is considered a hate crime. Our country is turning to communism when we cant even say "gay" without fear of being persecuted for a hate crime. TSK TSK.

yomama

You're young, rich and stupid famous SHUT UP! You have nothing to be mad about get over yourself already. Dang!

ronin