'Columbo' Star

Peter Falk Dies

6/24/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peter Falk -- star of the TV show "Columbo" -- died last night ... TMZ has learned.

Peter Falk Dead
Falk -- who suffered from Alzheimer's disease -- was 83.

A rep for the family tells TMZ, "Peter Falk, 83-year-old Academy Award nominee and star of television series, 'Columbo', died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011."

The rep continued, "Peter Falk is survived by his wife, Shera, of 34 years and two daughters from a previous marriage."

In addition to "Columbo," Falk starred in "Princess Bride," "Brigadoon" and "The Great Race."

Peter's wife, Shera and daughter Catherine were locked in a legal battle in 2009 over the creation of a conservatorship for Peter and who would control it.  In the end, the judge appointed Shera conservator.

UPDATE: John Finnegan -- Falk's "Columbo" co-star -- tells TMZ, he fell literally FELL DOWN when heard the news ... “I have known Peter for over 60 years ...  He was like a brother for me, he kept the food on the table.  He was the best, great!"

0624_peter_falk_footer
tmz-top-comments-banner
@alroker @alroker

Few were better thanPeter Falk in Columbo or as Vincent J. Ricardo in The In-Laws. He will be missed.

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

RIP Peter Falk. "The In-Laws" still one of the funniest movies of all time. #SerpentineShelSerpentine.

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Oh no :( Just heard. Peter Falk, who played Columbo, TV's greatest EVER detective, has died.

tmz-top-comments-banner
@AndyMilonakis @AndyMilonakis

Rip Peter Falk. Murder By Death is the sh*t

@DougBenson @DougBenson

Peter Falk was great in THE IN-LAWS and THE GREAT RACE. #RIPColumbo

@JamesGunn @JamesGunn

RIP Peter Falk - one of my favorite actors ever.

@rainnwilson @rainnwilson

RIP Peter Falk - He was one of the greats. Watch 'Wings of Desire' to see him at his best. ,) [one eyed emoticon]

@JoyVBehar @JoyVBehar

So sorry to hear about the passing of Peter Falk.

@Alyssa_Milano @Alyssa_Milano

Rest in peace, Peter Falk. ❤

@alroker @alroker

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

@stephenfry @stephenfry

HarryPalms

True TALENT!
R.I.P.

HarryPalms

Rest in Peace, Compañero!

JJ

Sad, Rip Peter Falk you were amazing as Colombo.

middleagedcrazy

Sympathy and condolences to his family. Mr. Falk left a great body of work and hope that is some comfort to his family and friends.

Cool actor.

ChloeMarie

Looked like a life well lived...

cjs

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, one of my favorite movies .

Thinking about it, as much as Columbo paid attention he was "Monk" before Monk was .

Remember the episode with **** Van Dyke, so GOOD .

Blood Red Witch

RIP Peter Falk

I grew up watching Columbo. I remember watching an episode with my daughter last year. She wanted to know what a pay phone was. She was also amazed he could solve crimes without DNA and computers.

You will be greatly missed.

kelly

So sorry to hear this. My condolences to the family. Mr Falk brought so much pleasure to the world through films and TV.

kelly81

Kathy

RIP--Loved this man in film and Columbo. Good Guy always. Can't be replaced!

Violette-Blue

I have a serious case of the sads right now. I loved Peter Falk!!! Columbo, Murder by Death and a whole string of other movies & tv shows. What a great guy, actor, father and husband. You will be missed. RIP.

dorahelen

STRANGE - I WAS JUST THINKING OF THIS MAN - WONDERING HOW HE WAS....NOW I KNOW...REST IN PEACE.....

texasknight1

its sad when we see our beloved tv stars leave us.

RIP Peter and Godspeed.

pattycake

RIP
Absolutely loved the Columbo series. It's still better than most of the sruff on tv today.

CloBird

Rest in Peace. Colombo was a favorite of mine. So many irreplaceable people have left us in the past months.

AP

A great loss...wife and I have have been watching old "Columbo"s on NetFlix that past few nights not having the faintest...

He was also in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" as a taxi driver if nobody's mentioned that yet. Quite a resume he had. :)

RIP my TV friend...