'Columbo' Star

Peter Falk Dies

6/24/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peter Falk -- star of the TV show "Columbo" -- died last night ... TMZ has learned.

Peter Falk Dead
Falk -- who suffered from Alzheimer's disease -- was 83.

A rep for the family tells TMZ, "Peter Falk, 83-year-old Academy Award nominee and star of television series, 'Columbo', died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011."

The rep continued, "Peter Falk is survived by his wife, Shera, of 34 years and two daughters from a previous marriage."

In addition to "Columbo," Falk starred in "Princess Bride," "Brigadoon" and "The Great Race."

Peter's wife, Shera and daughter Catherine were locked in a legal battle in 2009 over the creation of a conservatorship for Peter and who would control it.  In the end, the judge appointed Shera conservator.

UPDATE: John Finnegan -- Falk's "Columbo" co-star -- tells TMZ, he fell literally FELL DOWN when heard the news ... “I have known Peter for over 60 years ...  He was like a brother for me, he kept the food on the table.  He was the best, great!"

0624_peter_falk_footer
tmz-top-comments-banner
@alroker @alroker

Few were better thanPeter Falk in Columbo or as Vincent J. Ricardo in The In-Laws. He will be missed.

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

RIP Peter Falk. "The In-Laws" still one of the funniest movies of all time. #SerpentineShelSerpentine.

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Oh no :( Just heard. Peter Falk, who played Columbo, TV's greatest EVER detective, has died.

tmz-top-comments-banner
@AndyMilonakis @AndyMilonakis

Rip Peter Falk. Murder By Death is the sh*t

@DougBenson @DougBenson

Peter Falk was great in THE IN-LAWS and THE GREAT RACE. #RIPColumbo

@JamesGunn @JamesGunn

RIP Peter Falk - one of my favorite actors ever.

@rainnwilson @rainnwilson

RIP Peter Falk - He was one of the greats. Watch 'Wings of Desire' to see him at his best. ,) [one eyed emoticon]

@JoyVBehar @JoyVBehar

So sorry to hear about the passing of Peter Falk.

@Alyssa_Milano @Alyssa_Milano

Rest in peace, Peter Falk. ❤

@alroker @alroker

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Fibb

God Bless You Peter Falk, You were the Best, RIP...

NRWilkinson111

His greatest glory I believe was in "The Great Race." What a truly entertaining, and funny movie. But his most touching line........"As you wish."

Keedee

Just read about Peter Falk. I feel gut-punched. Loved that man!

KateMae

He will be missed. We always loved Columbo, and "The In-Laws" had me rolling on the floor with laughter. It's sad when the good ones pass.

erica

RIP Peter Falk. You were sooo much more than Columbo. xoxoxoxoxoxo #WomanUnderTheInfluence

CATHY

WHEN I THINK OF PETER FALK...IT MAKES ME SMILE. I WILL TRULY MISS HIM. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY

Charles Rosenay

Quick tribute: http://www.examiner.com/horror-happenings-in-national/columbo-actor-and-dracula-artist-die?CID=examiner_alerts_article

R

The In Laws - so freakin' hilarious! Columbo - best detective ever in a wrinkled London Fog! The Princess Bride - best grandpa ever!

TheMachine1

I guess he finely cleared up all the loose ends and passed on.

They are crayz!!

Best Peter Faulk line ever: "Ummhhp - if you weren't a lady I would kick you right in the stomach."

Mary Ann

NOW, this was class!!!
RIP dear Lt. Columbo, you will be missed but not forgotten.

IceMan

He was just great in "The Great Race". A wonderful actor.

CT

Great actor...you will be missed.

Sant

I couldn't believe it when I heard it a short while ago. I absolutely ADORE Peter Falk - Columbo was the greatest detective ever. No one will ever come close......

Dennis

R.I.P Peter Falk You Will Be Missed. For all of his fans, I have a question: Did Peter star in a detective show back in the 70's called Beretta, and carried a white bird around on his shoulder ? I loved watching that show as a kid. :-(