'Gilligan's Island,' 'Brady Bunch' Creator -- Dead at 94

7/12/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sherwood Schwartz, the television genius who created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island" -- and wrote the theme songs for BOTH shows -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

0712_sherwood_3

Schwartz is a TV legend -- back in 1961, he won an Emmy for his work as a writer on "The Red Skelton Show."

Schwartz also served as a script supervisor on "My Favorite Martian" ... and a writer and producer of "Harper Valley PTA."

Sherwood worked in radio before transitioning over to television -- serving as a writer for Bob Hope's radio show. He also worked on the radio version of "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."

Schwartz died of natural causes in his sleep, surrounded by his family.

0712_brady_mini_launch0712_gilligan_island_mini

0712_remembering_sherwood
0712_ruseel_johnson_quote_3
0712_tina_louise_quote_2
0712_florence_henderson_tweet_2
0712_barry_williams
0712_dawn_wells_mary_annee

Fallopia Lopez

He deserves a big sendoff. There aren't many Gen X'ers who didn't grow up glued to Gilligan and the Bradys after school. Met him once in college, he was a kind and smart man. Condolences to the family.

James R. - Los Angeles

Muppet about an hour ago

Wonderful man! He will be sadly missed!

How the f*ck will he be "missed"??? Over half the country thought he was dead already!

Politico Pablo

Those 1960...'s TV shows are classics. Anyone who grew up then can still remember their theme songs. Quite a legacy, indeed.

CCC

Hey Billy the Anus, so are you suggesting that the writeups by Russell Johnson, Tina Louise and Florence Henderson are made up? Did you read your comments somewhere or are you a part of his inner circle? Say that to the people who worked with him and are family members and they most likely will tell you how wrong you are.

Marty G

He is up there in heaven right now, eating pork chops and applesauce and playing cards with The Skipper, Gilligan and Mr. Brady! RIP Sherwood......

JIM

MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH YOU !

jason

A big piece of my childhood died today.
R.I.P Mr Schwartz

Arnel Evans

My condolences and thoughts are with the Schwartz family, and to the friends of Mr. Sherwood Schwartz. I was a fan of Gilligan's Island and the Brady Bunch. I am young, (I will be 29 in September)and both of those shows always brought a smile to my face. Television will never be the same. Rest in Paradise, Mr. Sherwood Schwartz.

sweetdee88

as abhorant as i found LOL's comment and i'm glad they removed it i have never seen so much backlash against a prejudice comment. where is that kind of feedback for the same people making wildly racist or homophobic comments?

CCC

Well what do you know. lol has returned with more drivel under a semi-new name, LoL ghost. Get a grip, man. If you are going to spend the rest of your life hating people, well that's up to you. If you want to spew out vile comments, then you are no better than the people you hate. Try and relax a bit and take a deep breath. Look around and you will see that there are some really god things that the world has to offer. Life is too short to fill your mind with hate and bigotry.

Physical Graffiti

RIP Sherman...on your 3 hour tour up to Heaven. Hope they have pork chops and applesauce there for you! One of the greats!

Taylortaylorjohn

This man was a disgusting homophobe who makes Michelle Bachman look tame. He often belittled the gay actor who played mr Brady and also made fun of the fact he died of AIDS. That Harvey Levin is covering up form this bastard is disgusting.

Jenn

We watched my father in law when he passed away in his sleep because he was sleeping during the day and it was his last few moments. He was calm, peaceful, and he did not die in pain.

Jeffrey David

Rest in peace.. You will be missed!!

Will

I remember GI and BB as reruns. I really liked GI probably the best because you know "It was a 3 hour tour" and I was a Mary Anne fan. I can only say that I know this man by his name only since I always saw his name on the TV show when the credits were being ran through.