Amy Winehouse

Found Dead

7/23/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Dead
Amy Winehouse was found dead in her apartment in London today ... TMZ has confirmed.

A press release from the Metropolitan Police, which doesn't specifically name Winehouse, says:

"Police were called by London Ambulance Service to an address in Camden Square NW1 shortly before 16.05hrs today, Saturday 23 July, following reports of a woman found deceased.

On arrival officers found the body of a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Enquiries continue into the circumstances of the death. At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained.
"Winehouse famously battled addiction to drugs and alcohol and was in and out of rehab several times throughout the years.

Last month, Winehouse canceled her European tour after a performance in Serbia where she seemed completely out of it.

She was 27.

More Amy Winehouse

0723_died_too_young_footer
More Today in TMZ History

Supr Dav

@ 27 just like so many other's.

Kim

Very very sad although not at all unexpected. It just goes to show how awful this disease is (addiction). I think most people were pulling for her. So sorry for her family. R.I.P.

Alex

I thought she was already dead O_o...

Mayu

She had such a promising career. Even my mom who is very picky about music liked some of her work.

Then she let drugs and other problems get the best of her. Thus, promising career ended all too soon.

Not unexpected, but still sad.

Carl

Sad, but not a shock.

starshine79

wow. 27 years old, thats sad. when tmz ran that picture of her last week, i thought she looked good, better at least. i guess looks can be deceiving.

Geoffrey

Think this has anything to do with the Murdoch deal over in London???

gratefulone

Addiction is a cunning and baffling disease. Those that don't suffer from it have NO IDEA what an addict goes through on a daily basis. Sometimes you live one moment at a time. My heart goes out to her family. But for the grace of God go I.....

sixxesfan

Not a shock, but like so many before her, the addiction was stronger than her.

Lauren

This may sound bad but if she died from drugs/alcohol she has no one to blame but herself to be honest. But that being said, RIP. It's a shame, she was so talented.

Mick Kahler

Although not a fan of her music, I'm sorry to hear of Amy Winehouse's passing. As many others will post here, it was just a matter of time before she would drink or drug herself to death. (Before anyone accuses me of jumping the gun on the cause of death, I'll say GET REAL. People as young as her don't just keel over and die.)
I hope Ms. Winehouse's death is a cautionary tale to all of those who think their drinking and drug habits won't ever catch up with them in the long or short run. And for those who aspire to become famous singers, let me quote from the old David Allen Coe song, "The Ride", 'IF YOU'RE BIG STAR BOUND, LET ME WARN YOU IT'S A LONG HARD RIDE.'

cadoc

Quick, post a poll Surprised vs. Not Surprised that Amy Winehouse joined Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Hendrix and Jim Morrison the DEAD-AT-27 STUPID CLUB

rv

Everyone saw it coming, yet no one could help her....I'm heartbroken.......wonder if she realized how talented and unique she was...so sad.

Ghost Rider

Big surprise, thats why I worry about Lindsay.

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

now she belongs to the ages...