Police -- Don't Call Amy's Death an Overdose Yet

7/23/2011 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Police in London released their first official statement that acknowledges the death of Amy Winehouse -- but warned that's too soon to say she overdosed on drugs.

0722_amy_BN3
In a statement, London Police Superintendent Raj Kohli said, "Next of kin have been informed, and I can confirm that officers are now satisfied that the deceased is Amy Winehouse."

As for the cause of death, and speculation that Amy -- who had battled drug and alcohol problems for years -- may have OD'ed, Kohli said, "
I am aware of reports suggesting this death is the result of a suspected drugs overdose, but I would like to re-emphasize that no post-mortem examination has yet taken place and it would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of death."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

britney

It might be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of death but nobody can pretend they dont know how she died when she was found unrensponsive in her appartment..

Rika

be a good girl and shock the world, please be dead from the flu or something equally stupid .... RIP Soul Singer

feebee

It really doesn't make much difference now... she is still gone... let the poor girl Rest in Peace, she always seemed to trouble, and I don't know why, she had so much going for her.

HumanNature

"If there's another world, he lives in bliss;
If there is none, he made the best of this."
- Robert Burns

R.I.P. AMY WINEHOUSE!!!!

me

I'm sure it was from natural causes.

Will

Only TMZ can post article after article on a average, dope addict singer. TMZ glorifies drunken, drug addicts who kill themselves with their lifestyle all while trying to find someone to blame for the deaths. MJ, Ruan Dunn and now Amy. They all did it to themselves people. I feel NO sorrow over their deaths except for the toll their choices have taken on their families, friends and other loved ones.

Sara

Could be just that her body had had enough. Or suicide. I'm sure we'll know soon enough.
Regardless, she's without pain now, and has escaped her demons.

Eileen

I cried a little tear..... and inside I wondered why
Dear Amy has now left us to join the stars up high
I knew her through her music her attitude and her style
Her loss will be felt by many... to grasp shall take a while
I say a little prayer now and thank Amy for all she is and more
I hope Jim and James and Janis and Kurt will lovingly greet her at the door.
(God Bless from a fan)

Gloria Unread

He only said that it would be inappropriate to speculate that she died of a drug overdose - not that it would be inaccurate.

Bandonbound

Well, common sense rules out natural causes, so she's alone on a Friday nite? Doubt it. So who brought over some s**t, partied, she was ok when we left, she seemed fine, we left there about 10pm, etc. etc. I just don't buy into the mantra of You have to know when you hit bottom and You have to check yourself in. Just outside of kidnapping, you take her, and lock her or them into a treatment facility until double the time to get clean has gone by. They only people IMHO that check themselves in are self serving stars or people in the limelight that are looking for a byline or posting somewhere. Addicted to painkillers from a sports injury?? Come on DC. Outside of some quack giving you Oxycontin for a sports injury the best you can get is maybe hydrocodone, you're weak. Addicted?

Kim

@Eileen...so sweet! :) Prayers to the family and friends who love her, and may she rest in peace.

Gloria Unread

Eileen - I say a little prayer now and thank Amy for all she is and more/ I hope Jim and James and Janis and Kurt will lovingly greet her at the door. (God Bless from a fan)
-----------------------------------------------------

Not sure if you made that up yourself Eileen, but it's really sweet and beautiful!

e33

that's an ugly bitch

miknac

I'm am sure it was from a paper cut.
Come on......

jpierce26

TMZ posted a video from her at a performance from 3 days ago. Have police determined atleast how long she has been dead?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments