Rome from 'Sublime' -- AMAZING Winehouse Tribute

7/25/2011 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sublime's new frontman Rome was so moved when he heard about Amy Winehouse's passing ... he hit the recording studio and busted out a version of "Rehab" in her honor ... and it's AMAZING.

072511_winehouse_tribute_still

Rome included this message with the video, "I recorded this tribute for Amy Winehouse after I heard the news of her passing. she is a huge inspiration to my music. We miss you Amy."

Sara

I don't understand why people automatically think someone has bad intentions. I've never heard of Sublime or Rome but I thought he did a great job and even though it wasn't "perfect pitch" it had emotion and you could tell he was sincere. I also agree - put it up for sale with proceeds going to a drug rehab facility and I'll buy it. RIP Amy.

jerry

Regardless of the Doods motives Aint nobody can do a tribute better than
Dood with Awesome ****in vocals And Intense Sincerity so all you haters
who are broke step in his shoes in a little while and smile.wishin u were
him.

just sayin'

I am not a fan of Sublime, but that kid's got some blues / soul in him. I think he did a fantastic job and I admire his passion. Where is it said/written that he's even gonna make a dime off that. It's a viral video now.

Denise

This was posted on Rome's twitter page. He did not send it to TMZ for publicity. He was expessing how he feels about Amy's death. YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB. I don't understand why people are upset about an artist expressing himself. It was real, not self serving.

patrick

Rome is the ****, stop all ur hating. Highest form of flattery. Guy might have been her friend. if u don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. peace!

joecrabs

Whats the name of this band? Auto-tune? Oh wow, they're good.

WillOTheWisp

Say what cha'want....but this guy's version is totally AWESOME!!
Love ya Amy, R.I.P.!!!

WillOTheWisp

I love this version, and him too!!
I'm gonna go listen to it again and again and again!!!
....they tried to make me go to rehab... (singing)

nevernude

Some of the greatest artists struggled with addiction and mental health disorders. Its been do***ented that Beethoven struggled with depression. There's empirical research that discusses correlatives between creativity and mental health. Sadly, Amy Winehouse exhibited many maladaptive coping skills that eventually took her life.

Sad, so many amazing women with great soul and pipes- Janis, Billie, now Amy...I give credit to Rome for recognizing her contributions. TMZ, many of your readers have little understanding of her true talent, and resort to being crass or apathetic. Its too bad that they can't empathize rather than criticize.

Brando

I don't hear any auto tune, just a lot of reverb. It's amazing how quick talentless people are to be criticical of someone doing something they can't. Very good rendition. Rome has a great voice.

Lucy

WOW!!!!! It is amazing. I definately like his version better.

Ella

I loved it!! and all of you haters talking **** about Amy, this song, or sublime...ummm...who are you again?? exactly!!! go build a bridge and be respectful.

Anna Fan

This is amazing. I've seen Rome with Sublime live before and I thought they were great.. but this is just awesome. Great job, Rome! Love you!

ted

He sucks. This is no tribute.

Absolute

dumbass this is so wack. you suck Rome! what's this take 1 bro, mad cheesy I give no respect to you