AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

Lena

How dare she? HOW FLIPPIN' DARE SHE? What business did a junkie have trying to adopt, let alone be allowed to come close to adopting a child? Thank GOD it didn't go through!

marybrown8899

sounds like someone's looking for some monetary consolation.

Pat

The child is better off without her.

cokeandpilates

I find it interesting that the girl's grandmother says, "There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her." Really, how do you know what she did and how she died? The toxicology results haven't been released, so unless Granny is psychic...
Typical tabloid crap journalism, take it with a grain of salt and go back to your lives, citizens. Nothing to see here.

CC

Thank god this never happened. People who think the adoption of this kid would have stopped any bad behavior on Amy's part are absolutely wrong. I've seen numerous couples having kids with the thought that it would improve their relationship. In the end they get divorced and end up with some toally F'd up kids in the process. Dannika will be much better off with her Grandmother.

Suzy Q

Could this be any more creepy/

divine

giving a child to a crack head, who was also an alcoholic, who also assaulted many people and got off because she had money. Ms. Wino even went to her nieces school to threaten another child.. ( a bully ).... Are you F'n kidding me?? I wouldn't even give the toothless Wino a dog.

Criss

I think it's safe to say that Dannika is probably better off in the long run, but I do feel bad for her sadness.

Sticks

How in gods name was she able to remotely even look at adopting a child? Lets give one to Lindsay Lohan while were at it

Ryan

i have had custody of my neice since she was 3 months old. i am still in the process of finalizing adoption and it has been 5 years, her parents are in prison on drug charges, they were so into their addictions, they make amy winehouse a saint. i am saddened she has passed and my condolences are with her family during this sad time, but she was not in the right state of mind and body to adopt a child. i also agree that having someone in your life to think of other than yourself is life changing however, you need to get your spit straight before you take on the role of parent/guardian. her having that child would have been great for awhile, but eventually she would have fallen back into addiction. i also do agree that the family of this girl is going to make a play for the estate stating that amy promised to care for this child financially for as long as this child lives. death brings out the greediness in people and this child is going to suffer for it. (if the child truly cared for her)

alice

it is also sad that these stars go out of their countries to adopt because their money means something to these poor countries. give the country money and we will overlook all your legal problems and mental issues. i also see many non celebs adopt children from 3rd world countries when there are children in their own country that need a loving and stable home. back on the subject at hand, if this story is legit, and amy was going to adopt that child, that child would be better off poor. that child would have had to take care of her. and god forbid she had the child when she passed.

patty

For those of you who choose to only remember Amy Winehouse as a drug addicted person, shame on you.

I think this article speaks for itself..Amy Winehous was a beautful soul..She was kind, loving, nuturing and a caring person..A troubled soul..If you listen carefull to the words of her songs, they portray a sad and maybe lonely and I get from some of the words in her songs she was betrayed by someone she loved dearly..He used her, threw her away and came back when he needed her, threw her away again, and so on and so forth..

you know it

God works in mysterious ways.

Laroc

Tell me how a single 27 year old woman who has admitted to a cocaine, heroin, and an alcohol addiction plus had self-harm and depression issues is able to adopt a 10 year old girl? Who signs off on this stuff?!? Where were the best interests for this little girl?

RJ Hunt

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME...You mean to tell me that there are adoption agency's that would consider Amy as a parent...GIMME AN F'ING BREAK... Someone call 60 minuets and get Steve on this story...What scares me even more is that there are people on here that "REALLY" think this would have been a good idea...Holly Molly Mother & GOd!!!!