AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

SakkeL

What i have read, girls mother wanted to save her child from poverty. Right thing would have been to help mother so she could keep her child herself.

Sounds pretty selfish to rip of child from her mother because she doesn't have money to support her. World is full of childrens without family, why not adopt one of them instead?

Still it would be nice if Amy had left money to that girls family so they may survive together.

sue

That's all the world needs, another dysfunctional alcoholic parent raising a child. I guess as long as you have unlimited funds, you can "buy" a child and that gives you the right to screw up another human life. She'd be out of poverty, right? Alcoholic mother trumps that! SICK!

Breathless

I love Amy Winehouse and respect her incredibly on a musical level - However, I'm inclined to ask: What the f***, world? An obvious, well-do***ented drug user and abuser with serious stability issues has no problems adopting but a happy, healthy gay couple gets condemned for trying to adopt from most places? What the f***? Who would you rather your child be raised by?

Rage

the Mirror reported it (Brit tabloid-- like National Enquirer), so the validity is questionable at best.
Had they included an alien abduction, or possibly lil girl with 7 limbs, maybe too.

If it's a Real story with no BS, it doesn't surprise me. Amy was a True Loving Soul, and very much so wanted a family and children.
Those of you who hate just to hate based on heresay and your own personal perez hilton addiction issues..
NO mercy :)

RIP Amy

jeff

And I also heard that Amy was going to buy a jet for $55 million. don't you EVER learn?

jxtr

Regardless, if you are poor or not. Why would you willing give your child up for adoption to an unstable drug addict?

ang

I hope they arent after money but people now adays usually are.

Kathy

Are you fu#$@ng kidding me?! Okay, I love TMZ, and have tried to refrain from commenting about anything Amy Winehouse given how her parents must fell...but becoming the guardian of a child...really!!! There are no words for this.

pattycake

stupid drug addict..way to go..get a poor kids hope up..whatta f8ck up.. Amy is a ****

diogenes

Maybe a child could have saved her, Having someone to care for and look after could have made a difference

RonBurgundy

Still calling it a disease that she had dummies?

She put needles in her arm, smoked crack cocaine for years, and drank more than most fish.

But she had a disease....

She was so selfish that even pretending to help this girl out wasn't enough motivation to get off those drugs...

It's not a disease when it's self inflicted!

Her being dead saved this girl from additional heartache.

Drug addiction is a weakness. These junkies want everyone to support them when they need it the most, yet they refuse to support a healthy and productive lifetstyle...

...and for the remaining morons that say " Ron Burgundy, I hope you never have a family member with addiction"....I have family members with addictions and they too are complete losers!!!!

Glenda

Sad, but really ? were they really going to let an alcoholic and drug user adopt ? These out of the country adoptions need better monitoring. She may have had a good heart, but if she really wanted to do something she should have sponsored her rather than adoption.

Meomy

BBBBBBBBB SSSSSSSS

monte

real good parental example

mike holly

a baby is even better then a dog