Matt Damon RIPS Reporter

DON'T INSULT TEACHERS

8/2/2011 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matt Damon Teachers
Matt Damon channeled the spirit of Will Hunting this weekend at an education rally in DC -- unapologetically OWNING a hapless reporter, who implied teachers are ONLY motivated by fear of losing their jobs.

How do you like them apples?

0802-matt-damon-sub

Anonymous

I liked Matt Damon before, now I'm in love. Thank you Matt for sticking up for teachers. Our supporters are few and far between nowadays.

iskabibble

"Intrinsically paternalistic view..." Nice pseudo-intellectual verbosity you blow-hard... Damon's a douchebag. Maybe his mother (a teacher) should have done a better job with his education?

tripod

Matt Damon is a douche bag. I know he has his fans -- I'm not one. Ask him about his opinion about members of the military. As a career Marine I think he is a self absorbed ***** that has insulted men and women in uniform with his uneducated and pea-brained perspectives.

dadudedd

Pwned?
His argument made no sense whatsoever.

Matt

Matt Damon is an idiot - he has no idea what he is talking about:

More than 10 percent of teachers in the 89-district sample made more than $100,000 in the 2009-10 school year even as districts struggled to balance budgets, according to the analysis, which also found that men were more likely than women to make six figures.
Former Stevenson High School football coach William Mitz finished his 28-year career with a number of accolades, including state runner-up, 197 wins and 21 straight playoff appearances dating to 1999.
But one statistic Mitz isn't talking about: He was the highest-paid schoolteacher among the 89 districts in the 2009-10 school year, making $191,214. Mitz did not return five phone calls seeking comment on this story.

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110703/news/707039911/#ixzz1TvwUcSBU

cubs32

I just want to say "Thank You, Matt". I am the product of two teachers, and I can tell you that teaching is the most undervalued profession period. My mom is 63 and still can not afford to retire. She teaches b/c she love to teach. This country is to ass-backwards when it comes to education. We are quickly becoming a 2nd world country. I'm a very proud American, but I think the politicians in DC should all be fired. They are far too detached.

Mel

He needs to shut up!

Ghost Rider

Last comment, Thank you TMZ for this article. I now realize that teachers select their bad students/dunces, at the same time they select their good ones. This probably goes back to Mark Twains day Im thinkin, but probably further. lol. Teachers have a lot of evolving to do, just like people. To this day I consider my real teachers to be Rod Serling, and Ray Bradbury. They taught me everything I "really" need to know, and that is a piece of mind you will "NEVER" get from a teacher in a public school imho.

Tina

Thank you for defending teachers. Why do people think that teachers aren't worth anything? For crying out loud, teachers must possess a university degree, not just an AA. Are there bad teachers? yes. There are also bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad reporters...

Billy

Still the guy is just an idiot.

rob

Decent actor, despite a string of bad films. Also a very poor spokesperson for teachers. Lesson to be learned: being a celebrity does not exempt someone from needing to know something (anything) about the topic before mouthing off.

love your bracelet

i have had several teachers who make tenure or are close to retirement and say "hey I made tenure or im out of here in a couple of years. I can talk about whatever I want". That is NOT a teacher that is someone being lazy and NOT DOING what they were paid to do. So, Matt Damon, in my experience: yes, when a teacher makes tenure they stop caring. By the way public school teachers salaries are public information....so if you have time to look up how much your teachers/former teachers were being compensated feel free.I went to a small high school in a small town where teachers AND parents were there to make sure students got their work done(the graduation rate was 93%. In elementary school teaching a student is a dual effort from the teacher and the parent. If habits like homework,practice,reading etc are established early, success in middle school and high school will be higher. You can only blame the teacher for so long before you have to look at yourself or your lazy kid playing video games and wonder why the success is lacking. In high school I can honestly say that I had only 1 bad teacher and he was a math teacher, he only lasted one year after so many complaints were given to the principal. And we DO need incentives in order to make teacher better BUT we also need parents who actually GIVE A **** (pardon my french).

lambert

Matt just insulted MBA's! Who taught the MBA's how to think? Teachers! I'm a liberal and have an MBA....I'm so insulted. LOL!

Oroted

Yeah, OK Damon, nothing like the bleeding heart liberal with a kajillion dollars to put us all in our place.

itstrue

Actors need to act, nothing more -- nothing less.