Matt Damon RIPS Reporter

DON'T INSULT TEACHERS

8/2/2011 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matt Damon Teachers
Matt Damon channeled the spirit of Will Hunting this weekend at an education rally in DC -- unapologetically OWNING a hapless reporter, who implied teachers are ONLY motivated by fear of losing their jobs.

How do you like them apples?

0802-matt-damon-sub

Beth

Thank Matt, from a teacher.

ranter83

I am a teacher,who works in a building where I am proud to saythat I work with the best of the best. I work in a low income area and I know that my coworkers and I love what we do. For all of you who are saying teaching is easy here is the hard reality:
1. Teachers don't make a lot of money. I work from 7:30-3:30, and have summers off. However, I am also working from home, writing reports, grading, modifying work for students at different levels, and calling parents..
2. I am one of those teachers who not only teach, but coach a sport and teach summer school. So yes, I love WORKING FOR kids.
3. We teachers are with your CHILDREN more than you are. God forbid a parent is subpar, then a teacher is your child's mom, dad, therapist, best friend, and educator.
4. I spend tons of money out of pocket for supplies/snacks that I don't get reimbursed for and is more than the 250 dollars the government rights off, to educate children.
5. We have to have the patience of a saint to deal with the amount of children we see on a daily basis. At times, there are more than 25 personalities in a room.
6. You have to deal with adminstration. You have to deal with parents who just don't care. I've had parents be at home and didn't come to a child's (fill in the blank) and look in a child's face and say "I'm here for you".

Bec215

I live in DC, and Damon has NO CLUE about the situation in the schools. DC is under Congressional control, so the School Board and schools are the only 'independent' organization in the City - thus, it's become totally politicized. Michele Rhee came in and started to clean things up - but the Teacher's Union here is more like a mafia, and they have been 100% opposed to any measures that force accountability to the quality of teaching. Hundreds of consistentl poor-performing teachers keep getting their jobs back when they're let go because of the strength of the union. In nearly any other city, I'd say Damon's right - but he needs to do his homework and not spout off on something he knows NOTHING about... If he wants to change something, he should be laying into parents who want no part of their children's lives, and abdicate responsibility for raising them. THAT is something I can get behind.

Daniel

PLEASE SEND THIS TO MATT DAMON.

Dude,

1) I am a teacher; you are not. That means I know more about the goings on in the classroom than you do, so listen.

2) Job turnover in teaching is something like 2 years...because most people who go into teaching do not want to teach. If they accept tenure, they get LAZY, AND TAKE THE SO-CALLED "SH*TTY" SALARY...which isn't all that "SH*TTY" when it goes up to $70k with benefits and retirement locked in.

I CHALLENGE you to check out public school classrooms in South Central LA and Inglewood, where I work now. You've never seen chairs thrown at teachers; teachers calling students "********" and throwing up gang signs; or teachers just straight up getting lazy and treating school like prison.

3) Please, don't speak out of ignorance anymore. Educate yourself as you have before with that fine Harvard degree of yours. This isn't a liberal vs. conservative thing...this is an eye-opening experience that needs to be addressed.

Thanks.

Daniel

PLEASE SEND THIS TO MATT DAMON.

Dude,

Thanks

Katie

Nice! Just simply nice job Matt! You hit the nail straight on the head with that one!

Katie

Matt-You said it just right! Nice job!

Kate

I just discovered REASON TV & it's a pile of horse s**t. How did we sink to a place where we attack teachers, fire fighters, police for being lazy government workers?
LONG LIVE MATT DAMON!!

overpaidteach

Do you know what the three best things are about teaching ? June, July, August

Kelly Kinsel

Damon is the same coward who called Bill Krystal an idiot but when Krystal then challenged him to a public debate he
showed his true liberal cowardice and said nothing. he is the typical liberla blowhard who doesn't dare debate anyone on his viewpoints only criticize and belittle others when they cannot fight back. I am a well educated person with graduate degrees in math and engineering, so I am no dummy. I am probably more intelligent then this guys who "pretends" for a living.

His stupidity in ignoring the fact that teacher unions and teachers have been shown to care more about their jobs and benefits than student learning is ridiculous.

So limo liberal give your millions to these teachers if it is so important. He won;t because he is a typical liberal hypocrite

Alicia

Thank you Mr. Damon for publicly supporting teachers. I get so tired of the other side having money to back their beliefs and spread their message. Like any profession there are weak links but the majority of us are giving our all! It is nice to have a public figure stand up and say that.
Thanks!

ERM

I have been teaching for 8 years now and my mom taught till she physical could not. Contractually, my hours are from 7:45-3:45, but if I ever get to leave at that time is a miracle or there is bad weather. I get to work by 7:15 to prepare my classroom for the day. I try not to take my work home with me, but that never works out. I definitely do not get paid 75K a year, that would be nice, but no where near it. Plus, I am a married mother of two babies. So when I go home, I have to tend to them. Now about the whining. The only time teachers whine or complain is when we are having to defend ourselves against people that we are overpaid babysitters. Are there bad teachers out there, yes, but there are bad workers in every occupation. A lot of times, the students that are "bad" (I hate to use that term) is because they have no home training. Maybe people need to look in the mirror before putting ALL the blame on the educators of this country. Please, please do what I do for a week, and then tell me I make too much for what I do.

Monica

I now officially love Matt Damon! Thank you, Matt, for you support of teachers!

Veronica

Thank you Matt for understanding that teachers must love to teach to do the job, between the low pay, the extra hours put in on a daily basis, and sometimes there is abuse from the children and or there parents.
Thanks again Matt

rod05

the reporter should've said Matt Damon we ran out of time.He would be even more pissed off.