Matt Damon RIPS Reporter

DON'T INSULT TEACHERS

8/2/2011 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matt Damon Teachers
Matt Damon channeled the spirit of Will Hunting this weekend at an education rally in DC -- unapologetically OWNING a hapless reporter, who implied teachers are ONLY motivated by fear of losing their jobs.

How do you like them apples?

0802-matt-damon-sub

Marie

There are some not so good teachers out there, I've had a few myself. But the vast majority of teachers I've worked with or even had as a child do truly care. Most are extremely intelligent and resourceful and deserve to make a decent salary.

Let me just give some of you ignorant people the real stats on teachers from my very own experience as a 5th year teacher.

$144.13 per day after taxes. That's what I make. Oh and non-union just in case you were wondering.

Now if I really only work the 7 hour school day from morning bell to dismissal bell (7:45-2:45)that comes to $20.59 an hour, not bad.

But, if I use the real hours that I am at school working it's a different story. On a day like today for example (yes, we are a year-round school) that would be 6:15am-5:30ish, so around 11 hours. Now I make $13.10 an hour. I was making more as a waitress at Baker's Square. And I was a really terrible waitress.

I am not putting these numbers out there so that people feel sorry for me, not at all.

I am just so sick of the teacher haters and ignorant people out there who for some reason feel they have a right to make blanket statements about a profession they know nothing about.

Oh and about my cushy summer. The 4 weeks I had "off" due to our year-round calendar went something like this...
1.Meetings with my grade level partner to create (yes, create) our reading, science, and social studies curriculums for the first quarter of the year.
2. Several shopping trips to various stores to get classroom supplies for the year (maybe it's down to $10 an hour now?)
3. Twice a week unpaid tutoring for a former student to give him that extra push into the next school year.
4. A week of unpacking and organizing my classroom for this school year.

Maybe instead of blaming your teachers you should blame YOUR PARENTS or perhaps even YOURSELF for not taking control of the crappy situation you were apparently a part of as a student.

Thanks Matt :)

tucker

Why do people teach? Ahhh, vacations up the wazoo, summers off, home by 4:00 every day. Gee, I wonder why.

Ben

Matt is a another Hollywood Pinhead. Guess all them teachers up in WI had the children in mind when the camped out at the capitol and got phoney Dr excuses. Were was your thought about the children then? OOOOhhhh I see it was about THE MONEY :)

haha

First of all, pay depends on the state and district. Speaking for myself, I earn $42,000, leave home at 6:30 am, arrive at 6:50 am (latest), leave work from 7-8 pm. Why? I choose to, there's plenty of work to get done. I get home, eat dinner, socialize a bit, then work again at around 10 pm, don't go to sleep until late in the morning. Also, those who say "2 months paid vacation" please realize that our salary is divided into 12 months so that we may have a paycheck during summer vacation...it's not that we get FREE vacation time. There are some bad apples out there, but please don't generalize and say all are.

Cujeaux

Maybe Damon thinks teachers are great because he had the advantage of going to private schools where the teachers are better monitored and have to see to it their students get good grades. It's expected those kids get into Ivy League schools. Just because he went to Harvard doesn't mean he's smart either. Book smart maybe, but that doesn't necessarily make someone wise or tactful.

If he's so smart you would think he would know better than to tell people who to vote for, then turn around and pull his support from that same person!

As someone with several teachers in the family, I know how much time they spend outside of school on homework and prep. After a couple of years they have things down pat and can skim reports and have others correct homework. They have plenty of free time and money to go on nice vacations and have nice pensions. They get paid well enough for having 3 months off a year and the effort they put forth.

haha

Greg

**** this guy, he assumes teachers are all intrinsically do-gooders and get paid ****ty saleries. They make 70K around my area and have awesome benefits for 10 months of work. **** you As****.

tugmcyanko

Damon is an a$$. He's as out of touch as the teacher that spawned him. Check out the salaries in PA and NJ. Over $100,000 after 15 years, almost free healthcare and a pension that will bankrupt the taxpayers. All for 9 months work. Lookup the blogging teacher in PA. She hates the kids and she's going back in the classroom in the fall because of the teacher's union. Talk about job security! Gotta love when dopey actors get political.

Anthony

Then why did I have several junior high and high school teachers call and got paid as teacher when all they taught me was sitting down in class and wait for my next period. Teachers do and love their job and its purpose in society. One of the problems is that there are those who are just in for the paycheck and see us, the students, as lost causes.

Due to budget restraints, the counties are now being somewhat proactive in trying to keep those real teachers in and the others out.

Also, she didn't say that the only reason actors work hard to becoming good actors is for job security.

Mags

I love that when Matt says "Maybe your're a sh*tty camera man" The shot is bouncing all over the place and Matt isn't even in full frame... So yes, the guy was a sh*tty Camera man. 1) for not keeping the camera still & your subject in frame and 2) for talking while being a camera man.
Well done Matt.

Just a Girl

I cordially invite Matt to my look at the salary list for my kids' public elementary school in NJ -- where 1/3 of the teachers are getting a $90K-$110K salary and the other 2/3 are mostly in the $65K-$90K range. And we're talking about getting that salary for working 180 days a year and paying $6 for a prescription and a $10 copay for the doctor. Oh, and most of these teachers have fantastic pensions to which they contributed NOTHING for most of their careers.
Yeah, Matt, tell me again how hard the teachers have it. God Bless Gov. Christie for seeing through this "my life as a teacher is so tough" garbage. If I could do it again I would have taken up teaching rather than getting a law degree.

Ginger

And we have one more reason to love Matt Damon!

Get a clue

Damon torpedoes his own argument in the first minute of this clip. If teachers teach because they love to teach, then their salary and benefits should be irrelevant.

Ghost Rider

One more and this time Im going to rag on my Sunday school teachers, because if there is one thing I really got out of Sunday School is that its OK to be that kind of person that is right about everything and to tell people they are wrong, thats what I got out of church. Any tough religious questions I ever asked usually got the same answer and thats simply "We dont have all the answers". So the real question is if Christians and Sunday School teachers want to go around pretending they are right about everything and everyone else is wrong, why dont they have ANY answers?

Anonymous

The ignorance is astounding! I've been teaching for 10 years, have a Master's Degree and make 59K. I work almost every Saturday night and Sunday all day and almost every weekday goes way past 3. I receive ZERO supplies. Anything I need (including paper and pencils) must be bought with my own money. If I need to print something-I have to buy ink and paper. We aren't given any supplies (I'm sure this is different at some schools, but this is the way it is at mine). Not only do I teach 5 different subjects a day, but I am expected to differentiate each lesson and cater to each child's learning style and needs all the while grading tests in each subject and completing over 100 pages of paperwork and data analysis each week. I am not complaining because I enjoy teaching, but to say we are living in the lap of luxury, making tons of money is completely untrue. We work our asses off!!!! I agree that not everyone should be granted tenure, but please, let's stop disrespecting our public school teachers. As in every profession, there are good and bad workers, but we aren't all bad and we're definitely not making 75K or babysitting kids all day. Please come spend a week doing what I do, I'm sure half of you wouldn't last.