« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Philadelphia Eagles Star

Suffers Seizure

During Training Camp

8/3/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0803_mike_patterson_BN

Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Mike Patterson is alert and stable at an Allentown, Pennsylvania hospital -- after COLLAPSING and suffering a seizure during training camp this morning.

28-year-old Patterson reportedly dropped to the ground and began shaking VIOLENTLY during practice.

Rookie offensive lineman Danny Watkins -- a trained firefighter -- rushed over to provide first aid while an ambulance was called.

Patterson was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital -- where his agent says he is "alert, doing well, and not in any pain."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Eriden07

WOW that is scary!!!!

LasVegasDDS

The Eagles could and should reward the rookie by placing him on their 53-man roster once the season starts. Imagine if they cut him when he helped save one of the team's stars from dying. People would be outraged.

StevenTyler324

This is going to sound mean, but I sure as hell hope he collapsed while practicing in 99 degree heat. Teams should start looking into in-door practice fields!

Nikki

I live in Allentown and that hospital is the best around!

Freakshow

LasVegasDDS,

That rookie was Danny Watkins, their 1st round selection. He's guaranteed to make the team.

Woot

Grand mal seizures are FRIGHTENING... if you don't know what's going on or how to handle it. I dated a guy who sprung one of those on me. He hadn't told me that he had epilespy, the brat. Sadly, he was too upset/embarrassed/ashamed about his condition to talk about it AT ALL and we dissolved a couple of months later.

My guess is that none of you care about that. *lol*

grannyj

Dear Mike...I developed what is called "late-on-set epilepsy". I'm certainly not an athelete (I'm a grandma), but I'm so happy to hear that you have not had any pain. Me either (other than very sore calves the next day) I'm sure you will receive the best medical care available, and I will be thinking of you.....you get better big guy, and I will make a point of watching your progress.....best to you, your family and your team....

anita

this don't make any sense because it is too damn hot for those guys to be out there. like someone said they need to have a indoor practice field. know i love football and i can't wait to see them play, but we need them to be healthy to, my prays to him and his family.

CelticOne

Actually, reports here in Philly have recently broken that he has a condition called arteriovenous malformation (AVM) and is going to need brain surgery, probably derailing his career. All of the news channels here are reporting it and are waiting on a press conference. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Patterson-has-brain-condition.html

CelticOne

News is saying that he will be transferred either today or tomorrow from Lehigh to a possible Philly hospital. The condition he has was something he was born with and was never diagnosed. I very small percentage of people throughout the U.S. are born with it. He is in stable condition, being given anti-seizure meds to stop him from seizing again. The weather had nothing to do with his condition, it was basically a matter of time before he seized, just happened during practice.

jonathan potts

Mike, hope u feel better soon! I had a stroke, because of a narrow carotid artery in a HS wrestling match & played FB for 2 yrs after, won a state championship Sr. year!!! Get well soon!