George Lopez Jokes

I was Fired 'Because I'm Brown'

8/11/2011 6:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George Lopez
George Lopez wasn't afraid to talk about his show getting canceled on "Lopez Tonight" yesterday -- but he told the crowd that he was being fired because of the color of his skin.

Lopez -- whose voice was featured in the "Smurfs" movie -- was talking about how Sony has greenlit a "Smurfs" sequel during his monologue ... and quipped, "So today I lost some work because I'm brown, but I got some work because I'm blue!"

Is Lopez REALLY blaming race ... or was he just trying to crack a bad joke?

Marty

...it's back to the cabbage fields. He just isn't funny at all and if anyone is guilty of using "race" it is George that is guilty. He was painful to watch. No wonder it was canceled. Immigration will be knocking on his door soon to export him back to Mexico with the other 15 million illegals

TV Gord

He was clearly setting up a joke. He can't honestly believe that. To anyone who thinks race--and not ratings--is behind the cancellation, just keep in mind NOT that TBS cancelled him, but that they put him on in the first place.

Kathy

No, you were hired because you're brown, you're fired because you suck.

Greg

Lopez played the race card too when he was fired from ABC because of bad ratings. I guess when your a no talent on tv the only thing you can do is play the race card. But not own up that your just NOT FUNNY.

3Storms

What a load of crap. Lopez himself is a bigger racist than anyone else on his network, and his ratings had slipped to nothing. He can try to race-bait all he wants; the ratings don't lie.

And I am sick of him playing the race card all the damn time. Damn bigot.

kte

As a Mexican, I'm disgusted with his comment. Being funny enough to carry ratings has nothing to do with race - blue, brown, or otherwise. I work hard to be a professional and a real professional wouldn't make such an unfair joke toward a company that gave him a chance.

Rob T

I didnt think he was ever funny.......more rude then anything.
Anyone who dumps their wife after she gives up her kidney to him...........I dont think so Mr.

trouccom

He got HIRED cause he's brown, fired for not being funny...

Jan

George has made the most horrible statements about people with brown shin than anyone. He has made millions mocking Latinos. George is a disgusting mean spirited person. The public was no*****ching or listening anymore. His low ratings is why he lost his job.

Taz

That is one of the reasons he turned people off is because he has laced his humor with the idea that just because someone is Latino that they are going to be treated badly. I don't appreciate that and I'm Latino. I watched his show at the start and tuned in again last night because of the cancellation but turned it off when he said he was cancelled for being "brown". I would have taken it for a joke except he's been playing that card too long.

Steinberg

That clip was simply unwatchable. It was way too overbearing. I couldn't take it. His problem with the ****ty jokes that his writers wrote for him is his execution. He just doesn't have the gist for late night comedy. Stick to making hispanic people laugh, George, with your typical "hispanic jokes".

rdudiva

It was a bad joke. Calm down race card police.

samson

He didn't exactly lose the show because he's brown, but I'm sure being brown (and not all that funny) limited his audience and potential, which meant his show was never really going to live past its novelty, or grown beyond a core brown viewership.

Fantastic Four

He's really playing the race card.

No surprise since he did it four times a day in his five day long Los Angeles Mayoral candidacy.

TheTruth

Thank God! The guy is the least funny comedian I have ever heard. Bragging how Mexicans are taking over the US and he is proud of it. Idiot got what he deserved.