Ex-Warrant Singer Jani Lane

DEAD AT 47

8/12/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jani Lane Dead
Jani Lane -- former lead singer of the rock band Warrant -- was found dead at a hotel in L.A. Thursday evening ... TMZ has learned.

Lane's body was discovered at the Comfort Inn hotel in Woodland Hills, CA. So far, no official cause of death has been released.

Jani Lane DiedLane famously penned the band's biggest hit "Cherry Pie" back in 1989 ... before eventually leaving the band to pursue a solo career.

Lane had a history of alcohol-related issues -- he was ordered to serve 120 days in jail after he was arrested for DUI in 2010 ... his second DUI in two years.

Lane was 47.

Warrant
0803-remembering-jani
danecook danecook

"whoa can we rewind to where we've been ooh I wish you'd take a look and see the shape I'm in" RIP Jani Lane your music was my youth

davenavarro6767 davenavarro6767

Sad to hear about Jani Lane... Had a chance to play with him in Camp Freddy years ago. Very nice guy. RIP pal...

bretmichaels bretmichaels

We'd like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of Jani Lane regarding their loss. Respectfully, Bret and all at MEGI

0803-remembering-jani
danecook danecook

davenavarro6767 davenavarro6767

StevenAdlerSite StevenAdlerSite

I'm so sad that I lost another dear friend to this horrible disease. I've known Jani for over 30 years and he had a heart of gold. Luv u bro

MrTommyLand MrTommyLand

RIP Jani Lane

bretmichaels bretmichaels

Slash Slash

Just heard about Jani Lane. What a shame. RIP man.

NikkiSixx NikkiSixx

I just heard the sad news about Janie Lane. So hard to swallow when people have kids. RIP.

IAmJericho IAmJericho

Sad to hear about the passing of Jani Lane. Jani was a good guy and one of the best songwriters in the late 80s Dog Eat Dog-very underrated

Pete

RIP Jani....you and your music will be sorely missed. A sad day for those of us who grew up on 80's hair metal.

Soetoro

Dude was a talented musician and a bad ass song writer. Anyone who is out here saying bad stuff about him just has a different taste in music. Guy is dead, not coming back and left a grieving family behind. Any of you that think your words reflect on Jani are delusional, its just makes you look like a hateful coward. RIP Jani, your concerts were great back in the day and Im sorry the path life took you down ended your life too soon. You will be remembered by many in your prime. The good years bud.

AH

Don't tell me to STFU or anything, but I seriously thought he was already dead? I'm not thinking about Kurt Cobain either. Does anyone know who I might be thinking of? I'm not saying this to be mean, but I really thought he had died. A few years ago I had looked up all the 'crazy hair' bands from the 80s and read about their lives, etc., so I'm thinking I got him mixed up with someone else I was reading up on. And I know about Kurt Cobain - I remember when he died b/c I was in school and they showed it on the TV in school.

M Archer

So sad to see another artist die young. Hope his family and friends give him a great send off to the big gig in the sky. One of my favorite bands back in the (hair) day!!

David W Carr

You have given us great music over the years. RIP Jani Lane

paigehop

Sad.

He was a great lead singer! Warrant had some great hits.

Linda A

How can you people be so mean? A human being died. His wife is completely heartbroken, as is the rest of his family. Your hateful words are making this an even more difficult time for them. Please show some respect. It is obvious that none of you have ever lost a loved one.

randy

Another great voice lost too soon, RIP.

moe l.

How pathetic - drug overdose at a Comfort Inn. Nice going!

Vixengelika

One of the best songwriters from the melodic rock scene.Some people only remember 'Cherry Pie' but how about some good ol' "Uncle Tom's Cabin" ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ba5tbn-GU&feature=fvsr

R.I.P

Criss

Only 47? That blows!

Throwback kid

That Dr Drew does a great job doesn't he? Drew should spend less time trying to get his smug face on TV and more time helping the people on his show, they end up dead

MT

I just spoke with Jani, he had asked me to send his songs we recorded in my studio with his last band Jabberwockey back in 2001ish. He had lost them. He was trying to get his song writing career going. I Located those songs in my attic, sent him via "wetransfer", he just downloaded them. Now he is gone. I am glad he heard some of his work before he left us. He was so talented: Great Singer, Great Drummer, Great Songwriter.

self-employed

Real name-John Kennedy Oswald. Changed to Jani Lane.

deena

God Bless You, Jani. Man, I was 18 when "Down Boys" and Warrant hit
the Hair Metal scene. Your Music was big at that time in my youth.
Please Rest in Peace, in Heaven. dmck.