Ex-Warrant Singer Jani Lane

DEAD AT 47

8/12/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jani Lane Dead
Jani Lane -- former lead singer of the rock band Warrant -- was found dead at a hotel in L.A. Thursday evening ... TMZ has learned.

Lane's body was discovered at the Comfort Inn hotel in Woodland Hills, CA. So far, no official cause of death has been released.

Jani Lane DiedLane famously penned the band's biggest hit "Cherry Pie" back in 1989 ... before eventually leaving the band to pursue a solo career.

Lane had a history of alcohol-related issues -- he was ordered to serve 120 days in jail after he was arrested for DUI in 2010 ... his second DUI in two years.

Lane was 47.

Warrant
0803-remembering-jani
danecook danecook

"whoa can we rewind to where we've been ooh I wish you'd take a look and see the shape I'm in" RIP Jani Lane your music was my youth

davenavarro6767 davenavarro6767

Sad to hear about Jani Lane... Had a chance to play with him in Camp Freddy years ago. Very nice guy. RIP pal...

bretmichaels bretmichaels

We'd like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of Jani Lane regarding their loss. Respectfully, Bret and all at MEGI

0803-remembering-jani
danecook danecook

davenavarro6767 davenavarro6767

StevenAdlerSite StevenAdlerSite

I'm so sad that I lost another dear friend to this horrible disease. I've known Jani for over 30 years and he had a heart of gold. Luv u bro

MrTommyLand MrTommyLand

RIP Jani Lane

bretmichaels bretmichaels

Slash Slash

Just heard about Jani Lane. What a shame. RIP man.

NikkiSixx NikkiSixx

I just heard the sad news about Janie Lane. So hard to swallow when people have kids. RIP.

IAmJericho IAmJericho

Sad to hear about the passing of Jani Lane. Jani was a good guy and one of the best songwriters in the late 80s Dog Eat Dog-very underrated

Mike

I had a friend in Junior High that looked shockingly like him. Yeah, Warrant had their 15 mins and I did like DRFSR and Cherry Pie...all that glam metal was pretty much the soundtrack to my youth. That's about all I would tell Jani if I got a chance to meet him; Heaven isn't too far awayRIP

Jymi Livesey

RIP - My Brother my Friend.
Sorry contact has been so bad over last the few years.
I have missed our times in LA... Thank you for all the help you ever gave me and the memories...

Thomas

Tom Zolotor
Our Tribute to / Last Interview with the Late JANI LANE episode of the TV Show is NOW up on www.FocusintheMixwithDeniseAmes.com ~ Hope you enjoy it. R.I.P. JANI LANE 1964 – 2011. Denise Ames, News Anchor/Host, Los Angeles

Focus in the Mix with Denise Ames
www.FocusintheMixwithDeniseAmes.com
Focus in the Mix with Denise Ames.

Sissy

So sorry to hear about this, Loved the music. Hope he is at peace. Ron. F if your out there thinking of you too. I Saw Red. Miss the good days!

JDNLouisville

What a bunch of a**holes on here. Making fun of the untimely death of a human being. Everyone making those comments is going to Hell!

Chris

It is a damn shame when **** like this happens. First I would like to blame the Record Companies. They sign these bands back in the late 80s and early 90s promise them the world but when it really comes down to it is the record companies make all the money and once the bands dry up and do not perform anymore they do not receive any royalties from the music they wrote. Now they are broke. Sad Sad

Robert Orback

I've listened to his music thousands of times. I listened to his music during the hardest times of my life. Many sad and lonely nights Warrant lifted me up. God bless his soul. Thanks Warrant for your talent. It will last forever.

milankov zlatko

R.I.P.haver.....so sad...i am...!

edward przydzial

sadly cherry pie is how warrant will be remembered. i hate that cheesy song, so did jani... part of the reason he had such a rough life after the 80's trying to down live that horrible song. i was never a huge warrant fan but down boys and uncle toms cabin were pretty cool and i hope jani rests in peace. cheers to you bro... out.

Thomas

JANI LANE of WARRANT who died.
Our Tribute to / Last Interview with the Late JANI LANE episode of the TV
Show is NOW up on ~ Hope you enjoy it. R.I.P. JANI LANE 1964 – 2011.
Denise Ames, News Anchor/Host, Los Angeles.
Also a news segment of the most artwork that got into space, on a shuttle.
"Focus in the mix with Denise Ames"
Go to http://www.veoh.com/watch/v2160...3856MyHQcTwG

carrie

OMG i was big fan of warrant especially jani im in shock first time hearing about it geez i gotta get with times OMG R.I.P jani lane

zooid

Jani had a unique and powerful voice. When Warrant first came on the scene, critics praised Lane for being a gifted songwriter. As a singer myself, lyrics were important to me. "Heaven Isn't Too Far Away" was an amazing ballad that could move me to tears, if I wasn't careful (or if I just didn't care who saw me cry). A couple of lines, mental images, could sneak up on you and rip right into your heart.

They were born 10 years too late, I suspect. Warrant and Lane were made redundant after only a couple of albums by 'grunge' and 'Changitty-Chang-Chang' a.k.a. 'alternative rock' (Hooter And The Blowme's, et al).

But, Jani's ultimate fall came at the hands of that demon whom rock musicians know only too well: Alcohol. To quote another dead-and-gone rocker, "Whiskey man don't you play that hand too long." And that wisdom was known when I was a young singer (not that I paid it any heed). Those whom Alcohol does not kill, are nonetheless mortally wounded with liver and pancreatic slow-death. Like gut-shot deer, we run on for awhile; but, we're already dead, just waiting for someone to throw dirt in our faces. If we're lucky, we can live long enough and well enough to raise our kids...which is as much as anybody can hope for, I suppose. It's better than Jani got.

Jani Lane, rock meteor, brief flash of light across a firmament of stars, never coming down no more. Fare well on that mysterious road we must all someday walk...

butcher

rip bro. love yah Peace

ipunk

RIP....may god bless u,,,!!!

Chris

From a Bio: 'The song "Heaven" was not written by any of the members of Warrant and it is alleged that Jani Lane stole the song from another musician who had already been shopping the song to various labels. This mistake cost the band a fair amount of money when suit was brought against them.'

From me, what you didn't know: This isn't the only song Jani Lane stole, or at least recorded without giving credit to the writer, who gave birth to these songs from scratch, i.e. Cherry Pie and Uncle Tom's Cabin. Later, I changed my style from so much mystery and innuendo and decided to help out another drug addict who screwed me also-Tom Petty, who stole, along with his manager, my songs I wrote and presented to him, Free Fallin' and Learning To Fly. After a few more bouts with shopping songs which were stolen and released to radio, leaving me broke for all my efforts, I stopped writing, and radio took an immediate nose dive; especially when I started the campaign to screw over metal since they screwed me so much; all it took was a few phone calls and Nirvana and the rest of Seattle took their place-you can thank me now that you know the rest of the story. -Christopher R. H.

The Sad P.S. After news of his thievery of my songs broke online, Jani Lane OD'd within 3 days.