Rep. Gabrielle Giffords

AZ GOP Auctions Gun Like

The One Used to Shoot Her

9/3/2011 6:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0903_gabrielle_gifford_jan_BN
So far ... this wins craziest story of the weekend ....The Republican Party in Pima County, AZ is raffling off a gun almost identical to the one used to shoot the Congresswoman in that very same county ... Gabrielle Giffords.

The online newsletter (see below) went out last Friday and features on page 3 a chance to win "a Glock 23 .40 handgun for just 10 bucks." But hang on -- if your name is drawn, you don't just win the gun ... you get "three 12-round magazines, adjustable grips, and a case."

0903_gabrielle_gifford_tall_sub

A Glock 19 handgun was allegedly used by Jared Loughner in an attack on January 8, 2011 that injured 13 (including Rep. Giffords) and killed six.

Michael McNulty, Giffords' campaign manager, told the Arizona Republic he was "struggling for the words to describe my reaction" to the raffle.

The interim chairman of the Pima County GOP told the paper he was surprised at the reaction, saying Rep. Giffords owned a Glock herself and was an outspoken supporter of the Second Amendment. He explained, "That Glock is no more responsible for those deaths and the congresswoman's injuries than a Number 2 pencil is responsible for cheating on a test."

Translation -- guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Real translation -- This guy doesn't have a clue.

update_bar
Interim Chairman Mike Shaw told the Arizona Daily Star that the raffle went so well ... they sold a deer rifle too. U-S-A!!!

Kaveman

WOW! I thought I was about to read a bunch of typical liberal hateful nonsense from people feeding from TMZ's political stunt. Instead I see that TMZ readers are MUCH smarter than TMZ's story writers themselves!!! WAY TO GO!

This story is nothing more than political propaganda by some bitter ultra-liberal bonehead at TMZ.

Kaffee

Republicans are out of control--and dangerous--and crazy. And that's being nice about this deplorable situation.

dolemite

Gabrielle Giffords owns the same model Glock 9mm as well and was known to carry it at times.

Kaveman

As a former Democrat realizing how bad Obama has ruined this country, I find this to be a very minor issue. As they said, Gabby had one of these guns herself. Things are different in that state.

Tina

After seeing TMZ's biased narration of this story, I will no longer be watching, reading, or doing anything associated TMZ. I've been a diehard fan for years...never again! Are you kidding me? WHY put Giffords and Glocks synonmous with one another?! Know how many glocks have been used for SO many other crimes? Way to promote your agenda, pr*cks! Our contry's downfall is going to be at the hands of the liberals that think this country will magically improve the more they take from the hard working people and just hand out to those that just expect free handouts. My husband is a Chicago cop on the west side, and I've watched the demise of certain societies because of all the free handouts courtesy of Obama and the liberals. Thanks TMZ for making me realize your agenda and how ridiculously biased you are. No wonder why every single one of my friends and family have stopped following you. This story is an absolute joke! Do I think it's bad taste to just raffle off a firearm...it depends on if they are doing any kind of background check. But it's absolutely ridiculous to bring Giffords name into it. How dare you USE someone elses tragedy to push your agenda. Disgusting!

harrycontests

It's TMZ that is "clueless" about this story. These gun raffles are very common fundraisers in rural areas of the country. The only reason this is a story is because someone who didn't understand that decided to try to use it to make the GOP look bad. It's pretty much the same thing as the President's comments about people "clinging to religion and guns".

If TMZ would get off its liberal high horse and travel outside the thirty mile zone once in a while, you might find out how ordinary Americans live their everyday life.

Lane

You all are a bunch of a-holes. Our country is falling apart and the dialogue focuses on bull****. Please, for the love of God, and country, DO NOT PROCREATE! The majority already acts ******* inbred.

Darren Moyer

People kill people, not guns! Who cares if its the same type?

Chad

Fyi libtards at TMZ / Jared was a TMZ watching, card carrying liberal nut case - not an evil republican.

LH

As someone who lives in Pima County,AZ, I have to say that maybe if more people at the congress on your corner rally had guns, the shooter would not have injured or killed quite so many people. It is sad that the country we live is to the point where we have to be armed to go to the grocery store.

Sarcia

CommonSense: 38 minutes ago @teamnadya - you silly fool. Do you think just by saying "Take guns off the street" criminals are going to listen? Gun laws are ONLY obeyed by law abiding citizens - the same citizens who are victimized by drug dealers and gang members like MS13 people WHO WILL ALWAYS HAVE AND CARRY GUNS.
But I guess I'm crazy because someone like you can ask MS13 members to just stop using thier guns and they'll listen......
yeah good luck with that. Me on the other hand will gladly click the safty off of my gun when a criminal threatens my family. Good luck to you and yours with that 911 call and the 20 minute response time of cops.
Fools with zero critical thinking skills like you need to be ashamed.

To that I say, Jared Lee Loughner took a gun out of his home and into the street where he injured 13 and killed six innocent people. So guns are not about just protecting a family in the home anymore and as JLL and Columbine to name a few, has proven that guns do end up in the wrong "People" hands. I'm against all public citizens owning firearms, no I can't do anything about it but then neither can you. FYI-- I never said anything about telling people to get their guns off the street or anything else related to anti-gun laws. Pay attention to what your reading and understand it before ranting out and calling others names.

Sarcia

CommonSense: 38 minutes ago @teamnadya

And another thing, where do you suspose or think MS13, drug dealers and other gang members get their guns? They don't make it themselves, do they? Law abiding citizen's my ass! Chances are, those are the ones that's trafficing guns and putting them in the wrong hands to begin with (Not all are innocent) and that makes it hard for the ones that are. I get people want to protect their families in and out of their homes, JLL wasn't protecting his... that's all well and good owning a gun to collect or protect, but what about the innocent people shot and killed by those so called "Law abiding citizens" guns? What about their guns ended up in the hands of their children or strangers or innocent bystanders who gets caught in the crossfire? I don't care what you say... there's no way around it GUNS KILL!

pragmatist

big deal, it's a raffle. A glock .23 is a great prize. What is the big deal ? Are we supposed to banish the word Glock in Arizona because of Gabby Giffords ? You people in the thirty mile zone need to take some time to go leisure shooting and get over this hoplophobia.

Evil Jon

TeamNadya. You're right, guns kill. But they also protect. Get out of your bubble and see how the world works. Police take 10 minutes to respond if you're lucky and the criminal doesn't mind you making a phone call. It takes 2 seconds to pull out my concealed gun. Banning guns will only prevent people who already obey the law from having them. If anything we should have a federal firearms permit so we can carry state to state legally.

Evil Jon

MJ, it's been 9 months since the Tucson shooting. What is the appropriate amount of time to wait before raffling of*****un again? I can understand the anger if the GOP did this immediately after the shooting, but 9 months... come on.