Russell Armstrong's Family

He Was MURDERED

9/6/2011 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0906_russell_armstrong_getty_EXD
Russell Armstrong
's family isn't buying suicide as the cause of death ... they believe he was murdered, and they're putting a private dick on the case.

Although the L.A. County Coroner ruled Russell's death was a suicide by hanging, sources close to the situation say the family is convinced ... Russell's money problems caused him to get involved "with the wrong people."  They believe Russell may have screwed someone over out of desperation and that person or persons retaliated by killing him.

We're told the family is in the process of hiring a private investigator.

Russell Armstrong Death

Surfer Gal

How many 12 year olds are on TMZ tonight?

The term "private d* i* c* k" has been used since the days of Pinkerton.

I bet you all giggle over "sperm whale" too.

Jay Singer

An experienced detective would know from the autopsy what the public doesn't know now. And people who are abusive and commit suicide to get back at those who have made them miserable, history has show, leave notes! This is not crazy.

BetterThanYou

I hope they dig him up and use his corpse as a prop for Halloween. It'll be ratings gold!! That's all that matters, right?

some guy

Lindsay was here...

Ghost Rider

They murdered the man inside awhile ago, those bitches suck.

Cujeaux

I'm glad Russell's family is willing to consider the fact that their son was probably involved in a ponzi scheme. Their first mistake was allowing him to be cremated so soon after his death. I bet the feuding with Shana following his death involved this issue. They wanted him brought back to Texas and she insisted he be cremated in LA. Why? Then she ducked the coroner for a week. It took his family too long to figure out that he could have been murdered, and now it will be very hard to prove.

The fact that his partner was found dead immediately after in the same neighborhood stinks to high heaven. Maybe someone was afraid his partner would squeal to the cops asking for protection and it would raise suspicion about Russel's death. They both were probably in on a ponzi scheme and whoever got burned probably wanted them dead. It wouldn't surprise me if all trails lead back to Bravo. I'd like to know how they found the Armstrongs to begin with.

Damon

Last week they said it was Bravo and Taylors fault!

BTW, if "these unsavory people" will kill him and his business partner then they probably wouldn't flinch at killing his family!

SantaFeJack

Was there any life insurance involved? Possibly voided in the case of suicide?

David in Bangkok

Anything for ratings or 15 minutes of attention. I recall the family of David Carradine going the exact same route when he "whacked" himself to death here in Bangkok. Very sad to watch. Blame the wife! I would do the same after five days with her.

Maribel

This is so sad but so expected. Suicide has an overwhelming stigma and it is less painless for his family to use the word "murder" than "suicide". My husband committed suicide and his relatives were in complete denial. In retrospect, his mother, my children and myself saw some red flags...mood swings, addictions and him admitting to his own former sexual abuse. My husband was never violent and Russell Armstrong was. I believe someone who is violent to his own family is without a doubt even more capable of anything. Thankfully his wife and children were spared as was I and my children. I will always be thankful for this. It is an absolute joke to even insinuate that the show (Real Housewives of BH)is to blame. People are humiliated on reality shows everyday. I have seen people's spirit be crushed and their pride pulverized by reality TV for the sake of entertainment and they don't kill themselves over it. Russell had deep seeded issues which would sooner or later be manifested. As a widow of a man who committed suicide I can say from the bottom of my heart to his family that his great loss is a much deeper loss which is unrelated to a shallow show.

RD

We have it all backwards....Armstrong didn't kill him self. Neither did Freddie Prinze, Michael Hutchens or David Carridine. Oddly enough, John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther and John Lennon all DID kill themselves. Even more odd is that the nazi's didn't kill 6 million jews either. They all killed themselves or, like Mel Gibson's dad says, "they just left".

MariDM

I don't think the parents are trying to cash in...if any of you have ever lost a child (of any age) you go stir crazy asking why??? You try to make sense of it all. I don't see this as a money thing but the parents are acting out of desperation and disbelief that their son is DEAD...people. RIP Russell, I was a big supporter/fan of yours. RIP...

HardRock

I'm glad the family is having this investigated a little more closely. As soon as I heard about Alan Schram it crossed my mind as well. Be honest, if this was your loved one wouldn't you want to check things out? The family is not alone...this has been brought up all over the net.

HardRock